ACTIVE ERA BS-06 Smart Scales
Smart Scales – BS-06
Thank you for choosing to purchase a product from ActiveEra. Please read the entire manual carefully prior to first use and keep in a safe place for future reference.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTION
PLEASE READ AND SAVE THESE IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS.
When using electrical appliances, especially when children are present, basic safety instructions should always be followed, including the following:
• Use this device only as described in this manual. Any other use not recommended by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock, or injury to persons.
• The appliance is not to be used by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction.
• Children must be supervised not to play with the appliance.
• Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by children unless continuously supervised.
• Children of less than 3 years should be kept away unless continuously supervised.
• Place the appliance on a flat, stable surface. Operating the product in any other position could cause a hazard. Avoid carpets and soft surfaces.
• This device should not be used if you have a pacemaker or any other internal medical device.
• This device should not be used if you are pregnant, have symptoms of edema, and/or are undergoing dialysis treatment.
• Do not jump or stand on the outer edges of the scale.
• This device should not be used by individuals who are diagnosed with a condition or taking medication that can affect water levels in the body. The accuracy of the readings for these individuals has not been verified. Seek advice from a medical expert.
• The data provided by this device should be used as a reference only and is not a substitute for medical advice from a licenced healthcare professional.
• This device should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Always consult your licenced healthcare professional prior to making changes to your diet, exercise plans, or physical activities.
• This device is slippery when wet. Make sure that the device and your feet are dry prior to use.
• Dry off the surface of the scale before use.
• Avoid placing the device in areas where it can become a tripping hazard.
• This device should not be used when it is stacked on top of another device. Doing so may cause the device to operate improperly.
• Do not place any objects on top of the scale when it is not in use.
• This device is intended for indoor household use and similar applications. Do not use outdoors.
• Do not wash the device with water or allow water or other liquids to enter into the device or contaminate electrical parts.
• Do not wipe or wash the device with chemical solvents. Prior to cleaning ensure the device is off and that the batteries have been removed.
• Do not operate the device if there are any signs of damage to the device or accessories supplied.
• Do not expose the scale to extreme temperature fluctuations.
• Do not place the scale near high heat sources e.g. ovens or radiators.
• Do not store the device in a vertical position. Doing so may damage the high precision sensors. Always store the device in a horizontal position.
• Do not attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical elements in the device. Doing so may be unsafe and will void your warranty.
Dimensions: 30cm x 30cm x 2.5cm
Net Weight: 2.9kg
Battery: DC 3.7V, 250mAh (Li-on Battery) Input Power: DC 5V
Display Type: VA
Max Weight Capacity: 180kg / 400lb / 28st Unit Increments Division: 0.1kg / 0.2lb
1. VA display.
2. Tempered glass surface.
3. Metal sensor plates.
4. Power button.
5. USB charging socket.
6. USB charging cable.
7. High precision sensors.
8. Anti-slip safety pads.
1. Battery charge indicator.
2. Bluetooth indicator.
3. Stone indicator.
4. Pound indicator.
5. Kilogram indicator.
6. Weight measurement.
7. Body balance % measurement.
8. Body fat % measurement.
9. BMI measurement.
10. Body water % measurement.
11. Skeletal muscle % measurement.
12. Heart rate measurement.
13. Bone mass measurement.
CHARGING THE BATTERY
To charge the battery:
1. Insert the micro USB connector of the USB charging cable into the USB charging socket.
2. Insert the male USB connector of the USB charging cable into a DC 5V adapter and plug into a power outlet. Alternatively plug the cable into a powered USB outlet.
3. The bars in the battery charge indicator will continuously fill as the smart scales charge. When charged the battery charge indicator will show as full.
Note, to fully charge the battery will take two hours. If the smart scales are used on average three times per day the battery charge will last for a period of approximately 60 days.
ACTIVE ERA APP
Download the Active Era app from the App Store (iOS devices) or Google Play (Android devices).
Note, when prompted ensure you give permission to the Active Era app to access the smartphone or tablets Bluetooth connection.
1. Open the Active Era app.
2. Press the Sign Up button.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note, entering the incorrect gender, age, or height during account creation may result in inaccurate measurements.
Note, to improve the accuracy of the measurements for individuals with unique body types (e.g. significant upper body muscle, athletes or bodybuilders) ensure that athlete mode is selected when creating an account.
Note, each main account can individually track the data of 24 users.
Only pair the smart scales using the Active Era app. Do not pair the smart scales directly from your smartphone or tablet’s Bluetooth menu.
To pair the smart scales with the Active Era app:
1. Enable Bluetooth on your smartphone or tablet.
2. Open the Active Era app and sign in.
3. Step into the smart scales and stand still.
4. The smart scales will turn on and automatically pair.
5. You will know if the smart scales have successfully paired as your weight and other data points will show both on the display of the smart scales and in the Active Era app.
6. Once paired the Active Era app and smart scales will automatically connect the next time the Active Era app is opened.
Note, if the smart scales do not successfully pair to the Active Era app please review the troubleshooting section of this instruction manual.
These smart scales can measure in kilograms (kg), pounds (lb), and stone (st). Select the desired measuring unit directly within the Active Era App.
Prior to taking measurements ensure that you have downloaded the Active Era app, created a user account, and paired the smart scales with your smartphone or tablet.
1. Place the smart scales on a dry, solid, and flat surface.
2. Open the Active Era app and sign in.
3. Remove shoes and socks and step barefoot onto the smart scales.
4. Stand still and ensure your feet are in full contact with the metal sensor plates.
5. The smart scales will turn on and an analysis of your body’s composition will start automatically.
6. Once the analysis has completed your weight and other data points will show both on the display of the smart scales and in the Active Era app.
Note, always remove shoes and socks prior to using the smart scales.
Note, to ensure accuracy of results, it is recommended to weigh yourself at the same time of day as measurements may vary after exercise, dieting, or dehydration.
Baby mode allows you to find out the weight of your baby by weighing yourself on the smart scales whilst holding your baby. To use baby mode:
1. Open the Active Era app and sign in.
2. Create a new user profile for your baby and ensure this new baby specific user profile is selected.
3. Place the smart scales on a dry, solid, and flat surface.
4. Press the menu button in the top right hand side of the screen and press Baby Mode in the drop down menu.
5. Step onto the smart scales by yourself.
6. The smart scales will turn on and an analysis of your body’s weight will start automatically.
7. Once a final weight measurement has been obtained it will flash on the display.
8. Immediately weigh yourself with your baby.
9. Once a final measurement has been obtained your weight plus your baby’s weight will flash on the display followed by your baby’s weight being shown in the Active Era app.
Note, if using baby mode when your own user profile is selected within the Active Era app you will be prompted to save the data to the user profile specific to your baby or to create a new user profile for your baby.
USING WITHOUT THE ACTIVE ERA APP
These smart scales can also be used without the Active Era app.
When using without the Active Era app the below measurements and data points will be shown directly on the display.
• Body balance %.
• Body fat %.
• Body water %.
• Skeletal muscle %.
• Heart rate.
• Bone mass.
Note, this is only possible after initially linking the Active Era app to the smart scales when the smart scales are first purchased so that the smart scales are aware of your height. Every so often the smart scales will need to be reconnected to the Active Era app to allow this function to be used.
BODY MEASUREMENTS EXPLAINED
These smart scales use bioelectrical impedance to conduct an analysis of your body’s composition. A very small and safe electrical current is passed through the lower half of the body. The electrical current flows slower through bone and fat than it does through muscle and water. The smart scales can measure this difference in electrical current speed and using a multi-step mathematical formula estimate 11 individual measurements.
Please note, these smart scales have been calibrated for those individuals who have a median body type and therefore the measurements recorded by individuals with unique body types e.g. significant upper body muscle, athletes or bodybuilders may not be accurate. To improve the accuracy of the measurements for individuals with unique body types ensure that athlete mode is selected when creating an account.
Weight refers to the total weight of the body.
Body balance refers to the difference in weight represented as a percentage between the left and right sides of your body.
Heart rate refers to the number of times your heart beats per minute (bpm).
The cardiac index is an assessment of the cardiac output value (amount of blood the heart pumps per minute) based on a person’s size. The unit of measurement is litres per minute per square metre (L/min/m2).
The normal range for CI is 2.5 to 4 L/min/m2.
Body Mass Index (BMI) refers to a measure that uses your height and weight to work out if your weight is healthy. Refer to the table below for reference.
|HEALTH WEIGHT||18.5 – 24.9|
|OVERWEIGHT||25 – 29.9|
|OBESE||30 – 34.9|
|SEVERELY OBESE||35 – 39.0|
|MORBIDLY OBESE||> 40|
BODY FAT PERCENTAGE
Body fat percentage refers to the percentage of fat in the body. Men and women have a different distribution of body fat so it is normal for body fat percentage to vary based on gender. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for body fat percentage as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|20 – 39||8% – 20%||22% – 33%|
|40 – 49||11% – 22%||24% – 34%|
|60 – 79||13% – 24%||25% – 36%|
Visceral fat refers to a measure of visceral fat in the body. Visceral fat is found in the abdomen and surrounding the vital organs. Refer to the table below for reference.
|NORMAL||1 – 9|
SUBCUTANEOUS FAT PERCENTAGE
Subcutaneous fat percentage refers to a measure of subcutaneous fat in the body.
Subcutaneous fat is stored just below the skin.
FAT FREE BODY WEIGHT
Fat free body weight refers to the total weight of the body minus the weight of the body’s fat.
BODY WATER PERCENTAGE
Body water percentage refers to the percentage of water in the body. It is important to stay well hydrated for overall health and wellbeing. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for body water percentage as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|50% – 65%||45% – 60%|
SKELETAL MUSCLE PERCENTAGE
Skeletal muscle percentage refers to the percentage of skeletal muscle (muscle connected to the skeleton) in the body. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for skeletal muscle percentage as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|40% – 60%||30% – 50%|
Muscle mass refers to the total weight of muscle in the body. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for muscle mass as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|20 – 39||34% – 40%||25% – 30%|
|40 – 49||33% – 39%||24% – 30%|
|60 – 79||33% – 38%||24% – 30%|
Bone mass refers to the total weight of bone in the body. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for bone mass as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|3% – 5%||2.5% – 4%|
Protein percentage refers to the percentage of protein in the body. Refer to the table below for the normal ranges for protein percentage as a percentage of total body weight for reference.
|16% – 18%||14% – 16%|
Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) refers to the number of calories the body requires when at rest to function effectively. BMR is relative to gender, body mass, age, weight, height, and physical activity level. Within a healthy, balanced diet, a man needs approximately 2,500kcal a day to maintain their weight and function effectively. For a woman, that figure is approximately 2,000kcal a day.
Metabolic age refers to a measure that compares your BMR to the average BMR of your age group. If your metabolic age is higher than your actual age, it’s a sign that you need to improve your metabolic rate.
If the smart scales have been moved or flipped upside down they must be recalibrated to ensure accurate measurements.
To recalibrate the smart scales:
1. Place the smart scales on a dry, solid, and flat surface.
2. Step onto the smart scales.
3. ‘C’ will show on the display indicating that the scales are calibrating.
4. Step off the smart scales.
5. 0.00 will show on the display indicating that the scales are calibrated.
Use a soft, dry or dampened cloth to clean away any dust, or debris from the exterior surface of the smart scales.
The smart scales require little maintenance. Do not try to fix them by yourself. Refer them to a qualified service personnel if assistance is required.
For long-term storage, cover the smart scales with a waterproof covering and store horizontally in a safe, dry place, out of the reach of children.
|Lo||Battery power low||Charge battery.|
Smart scales are overloaded.
|Step off smart scales to avoid damaging the high precision sensors.|
|C||Smart scales are calibrating.||Read the recalibration section.|
|Smart scales not turning on.||Battery not charged.||Ensure battery is charged.|
|Battery power is low.||Charge battery.|
|Smart scales not connecting to the Active Era app.||Bluetooth not on.||Turn Bluetooth on.|
|Smartphone or tablet operating system not compatible.||Ensure your smartphone’s or tablet’s operating system is running iOS 8.0 and higher or Android 5.0 and higher.|
|Smart scales not analysing body composition.||Wearing shoes and/or socks.||Remove shoes and/or socks and ensure your feet are in full contact with the metal sensor plates.|
DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY
Hereby, One Retail Group Limited declares that the radio equipment type BS-06 is in compliance with Directive 2014/53/EU. The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address: https://activeera.com/ec-declaration-of-conformity/
This marking indicates that this product should not be disposed of with other household waste throughout the EU. This is to prevent the possible harm to the environment and human well-being.
Contact your local authority for information regarding the collection systems available. If possible,recycle it responsibly to promote the sustainable reuse of resources.
One Retail Group, Ryland House, 24A Ryland Road, Kentish Town, London, NW5 3EH, United Kingdom