BIRD-X SOLAR YARD GARD
Ultrasonic Pest Chaser
INSTRUCTIONS & PEST MANAGEMENT GUIDE
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TO OBTAIN THE BEST RESULTS FROM YOUR UNIT.
Bird-X, Inc. has been recognized worldwide as a bird and pest control expert for more than 50 years.
WHY CONTROL PESTS?
- Droppings are unsightly, unhealthy, and potentially fatal.
- Droppings cost money and time. “Cleaning up” represents costs unrecoverable by revenues.
- Pests are destructive and deface property.
- USDA, OSHA, health boards and other organizations can cite, fine, or shut down companies for pest mess problems.
PEST MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
A. Survey the pests and their entry, exit, and feeding habits.
B. Inspect your property. Discover what the pests find attractive about your area and if the same conditions prevail in neighboring properties.
C. Remove inducements. Clean the area of all evidence of pests and the residual scent. Because pests and their droppings can cause
many diseases, use extreme caution when removing them. Do not breathe or come into direct contact with them. If you have questions about how to do this safely, consult an expert. Remove food spillage, garbage, nesting material, and other appealing items.
D. Maintain a clean and changing environment. For maximum effectiveness, periodically repeat C) above and relocate or reposition the unit, vary the output, or turn it off for a short time.
E. Install early. It is always best to install the Solar Yard Gard before “pest season” begins; as it is easier to discourage them than to rout them out once they have already established a pattern.
F. Consider alternate locations. Make educated guesses as to where the pests will go when they leave their current infestation area, and
consider purchasing units to cover these areas as well.
The Solar Yard Gard is warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of six months from the shipping date. At the option of BirdX, Inc., we will either replace or repair the defective unit. Prior authorization and a returned goods authorization (RGA) number will be necessary from Bird-X, Inc.
NOTE: RETURNS ARE ACCEPTED ONLY WITH AUTHORIZATION FROM OUR CHICAGO OFFICE.
SYNERGY AND OTHER PRODUCTS
For best results, Bird-X, Inc. always recommends the Solar Yard Gard be used in conjunction with one or more other products. The combination of different types of control methods has proven to maximize the effectiveness of pest animal control programs.
Two or more different kinds of devices (Solar Yard Gard plus netting and/or taste or smell aversion) will produce a synergistic effect and will yield much greater effectiveness than any single product alone.
Visit www.bird-x.com for more information on companion products.
How it Works
The Solar Yard Gard Ultrasonic Repeller with optional flashing LED is easy to use. Simply install the 3 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries (included) and then place the unit in your garden, with an unobstructed view of the area you want to protect. Two adjustable buttons for distance and frequency target different types and sizes of pest animals. The built-in motion sensor detects the pest entering the
area and emits a piercing, high-decibel alarm that startles the pest and frightens it away. Since the sound is ultrasonic, you and your neighbors cannot hear it.
Unlike pest deterrents that operate continuously, the Solar Yard Gard ultrasonic unit waits for the animal to come into its range before activating, making the function unpredictable and therefore more effective.
This Ultrasonic Repeller automatic outdoor animal deterrent is constructed of durable, weather-resistant materials, and has been designed to provide many years of reliable service.
- Infrared sensing angle (motion detector): 80
- Detection range: 9-10 Meters, depending on the body size of the animal. Larger animals are detected at greater distances.
- Rechargeable Battery life: up to 2,000 activations (10 per day = 200 days)
- Power supply: (included) 3 pcs (1.2V/pc) 2mA with Rechargeable Non-Crystalline silicon battery (3.6V) OR use 3 x AA (1.5V) Battery (DC4.5V)
- Static current: 200uA; Running current: 150mA
- Unit on time when activated: 4-6 seconds.
- Output frequency: sweeping from 10-50 kHz.
- Censoring angle: approx. 80 degrees
Blue LED: indicates when the unit is activated.
Flashing Strobe: option for enhanced night-time effectiveness
Zinc stake: includes one stake for versatile mounting (ground level, approximately 4” above ground).
Left button: adjusts the sensitivity of the motion sensor. Turn clockwise for greater sensitivity. To detect small animals, turn all the way to the right (furthest clockwise).
Right button: Frequency control. Clockwise = higher frequency. The smaller the pest, typically the higher frequency setting should be selected to target them. Animal type/setting:
SMALL ANIMALS: Insects, Rodents, Squirrels, etc. – Highest frequency (H) 25-50KHZ
MEDIUM-SIZED ANIMALS: Raccoons, Possum, Cats, Skunks, etc. – Middle range (M) 20-40KHZ LARGE ANIMALS: Deer, Feral pigs, Javelina, etc. – Lowest frequency (L) 10-25KHZ
L+, M+, H+: extra strobe of flashing LED will be turned on to repel animal that is afraid of strong flashing lights
Off: not sending out frequencies and LED is off
USB charging: 5V, USB port, charging current: <50MA
LED: In regular working conditions, LED will flash blue when working. When voltage is below 3V, LED will flash red, which indicates you need to charge the batteries or replace them with new batteries. During charging with a USB cable, LED will flash blue.
To set up the Ultrasonic Repeller
- Remove the battery cover (being careful not to press on the lens or speaker). Install 3 AA batteries and replace the battery cover. The light
stays on for 2 seconds indicating that the unit has been triggered. (If this light does not come on, replace the batteries)
- Position the Ultrasonic Repeller (for example, in the flowerbed, or against the wall) pointed towards the area that you want to protect.
- Do not aim the product into neighboring yards or public areas, or at caged or leashed animals. The Solar Yard Gard is intended for use on your own property only.
- To mount the Solar Yard Gard unit in the ground, push the mounting stake into the soil and attach the Ultrasonic Repeller.
- To mount to a post or fence, secure with a nylon zip-tie.
SUCCESSFUL LONG-TERM BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION
Solar Yard Gard’s success takes time to build. Pest habits may take several days or weeks to break. Follow all suggestions for maximum efficacy.
“Instant” tests on pets do not replicate natural conditions and give no indication of the unit’s success with wild or visiting domesticated pests.