BRAUN IRT6525 ThermoScan 7+ Ear Thermometer
- Disposable Hygiene cap (a box of 20 is supplied + 1 already installed)
- Probe tip
- ExacTemp® light
- Hygiene cap ejector
- Age Precision® and night mode/flashlight buttons
- Power button
- Start button
- Battery door (2 X 1.5V type AA (LR6) batteries)
- Protective case
Intended use and contraindications
The Braun ThermoScan® Ear thermometer is intended to be used by home users for intermittent measurement of the body temperature of patients having ages ranging from normal weight (full term) new-born to geriatric adult.
This thermometer is not intended for clinical use in a professional environment and are for home usage only.
The Age Precision feature is not intended for pre-term babies or small-for-gestational age babies.
This thermometer is not intended to interpret hypothermic temperatures.
Do not allow children under 12 to take their temperatures unattended.
Warnings and Precautions
- Please consult your physician if you see symptoms such as unexplained irritability, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, changes in appetite or activity, seizure, muscle pain, shivering, stiff neck, pain when urinating, etc. in spite of any colour of the background light or absence of fever.
- Please consult your physician if the thermometer shows elevated temperature (yellow or red background lights).
The operating ambient temperature range for this thermometer is 10 – 40 °C (50 – 104 °F). Do not expose the thermometer to temperature extremes (below -25 °C / -13 °F or over 55 °C / 131 °F) or excessive humidity (>95% RH). This thermometer must only be used with genuine Braun ThermoScan disposable Hygiene caps (LF 40). To avoid inaccurate measurements always use this thermometer with a new, clean Hygiene cap attached. If the thermometer is accidentally used without a Hygiene cap attached, clean the lens (see «Care and cleaning» section). Keep Hygiene caps out of reach of children. This thermometer is intended for household use only. This product is not intended to diagnose any disease, but is a useful screening tool for temperature. Use of this thermometer is not intended as a substitute for consultation with your doctor. Do not modify this equipment without authorization of the manufacturer. Parents/guardians should call the pediatrician upon noticing any unusual sign(s) or symptom(s). For example, a child who exhibits irritability, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, seizure, changes in appetite or activity, even in the absence of fever, or who exhibits a low temperature, may still need to receive medical attention. Children who are on antibiotics, analgesics, or antipyretics should not be assessed solely on temperature readings to determine the severity of their illness. Temperature elevation as indicated by Age Precision may signal a serious illness, especially in adults who are old, frail, have a weakened immune system, or neonates and infants. Please seek professional advice immediately when there is a temperature elevation and if you are taking temperature on:
- neonates and infants under 3 months (consult your doctor immediately if the temperature exceeds 37.4 °C or 99.4 °F)
- patients over 60 years of age
- patients having diabetes mellitus or a weakened immune system (e.g. HIV positive, cancer chemotherapy, chronic steroid treatment, splenectomy)
- patients who are bedridden (e.g. nursing home patient, stroke, chronic illness, recovering from surgery)
- a transplant patient (e.g. liver, heart, lung, kidney)
Fever may be blunted or even absent in elderly patients.
This thermometer contains small parts that can be swallowed or produce a choking hazard to children. Always keep the thermometer out of children’s reach.
Age Precision® color-coded display
Clinical research shows the definition of fever changes as newborns grow into children and children grow into adults1. Braun’s Age Precision colour-coded display takes the guesswork out of interpreting temperature for the entire family. Simply use the Age Precision button to select the appropriate age setting, take a temperature and the colour-coded display will glow green, yellow or red to help you understand the temperature reading. 1 Herzog L, Phillips S. Addressing Concerns About Fever. Clinical Pediatrics. 2011; 50(#5): 383-390.
How to use your Braun ThermoScan®
- Remove the thermometer from the protective case.
- Push the Power button . During an internal self-check, the display shows all segments. Then the last temperature taken will be displayed for 5 seconds.
- The Hygiene cap indicator will blink to signal one is needed. To achieve accurate measurements, make sure a new, clean Hygiene cap is in place before each measurement. Attach a new Hygiene cap by pushing the thermometer probe straight into the Hygiene cap inside the box and then pulling out.
Note: The Braun ThermoScan will not work unless a Hygiene cap is attached.
- Select age with Age Precision button as shown below. Press button to toggle through each age group.
NOTE: You must select an age in order to take a measurement.
The thermometer is ready to take a temperature when the display looks like the images below.
- Fit the probe snuggly into the ear canal and direct towards opposite temple. Then push and release the Start button .
- ExacTemp® light will pulse while temperature measurement is in progress. The light will remain solid for 3 seconds to indicate that a successful temperature reading has been achieved. NOTE: If the probe has been properly inserted into the ear canal during the measurement, a long beep will sound to signal the completed measurement.
If the probe has not been constantly placed in a stable position in the ear canal, a sequence of short beeps will sound, the ExacTemp light will go out and the display will show an error message (ERROR + position error animated icon = position error). See «Errors and troubleshooting» section for more information.
- The confirmation beep indicates that an accurate temperature measurement has been taken. The result is shown on the display. Temperature reading displayed is an equivalent of oral temperature.
- For the next measurement, press Eject button to remove and discard used Hygiene cap, and put on a new, clean Hygiene cap.
NOTE: Defaults to last age setting used if you do not change.
The Braun ThermoScan Ear thermometer turns off automatically after 60 seconds of inactivity. The thermometer can also be turned off by pressing the Power button .
The display will briefly flash OFF and it will go blank.
Replace disposable Hygiene cap (single use device) with every use to maintain accuracy, hygiene and to prevent cross-contamination. Earwax and dirt on the tip of the Hygiene cap, even in a microscopic layer, can create an obstacle between the sensor and the infrared heat emitted by the ear and impact the accuracy of the measurement. External factors like poor probe replacement, used Hygiene cap or dirty Hygiene cap may influence ear temperature measurements. In clinical studies, precision and accuracy of ear thermometer measurement has been shown to be influenced by variability in user technique. Correct probe placement is essential for accurate measurements.
Temperature in right and left ear differs, always compare measurements from the same ear. The natural physiological difference may reach 0.2 °C. In the absence of confounding factors, in high-risk population (like infants or immunodepressed people) use the highest of the two to interpret the patient’s condition.
In the following cases, wait 20 minutes prior to taking a temperature: extreme changes in room temperature, hearing aid, lying on a pillow. Use the untreated ear if ear drops or other medications have been placed in the ear canal.
Night mode is entered by pressing the night mode button. Secondary press of night mode button turns nightmode off – both sound on and flashlight off. The night mode remains on until the
thermometer enters sleep mode through time out or power button press. When the thermometer is turned back on it will enter normal mode. In night mode, all audible beeps are muted, the Night mode icon is displayed on the screen and flashlight will turn on. At completion of the measurement the flashlight will flash twice and stay on afterwards. Nightmode will stay on until night mode button is pressed or the device is turned off.
How to illuminate the display
The thermometer includes a convenient night light to illuminate the display in a dim environment. The light will turn on when you press any button. It will stay on until the thermometer is inactive for up to 15 seconds even after temperature is taken.
Last reading recall
The previous measurement will be displayed during start up.
After this, the prvious measurement will be displayed in the upper right-hand corner of the display with an ‘M’ next to it. The memory in the upper right corner will update to the new reading with the first button press after the reading is completed.
How to set a default age group
You have the option to set a default Age Precision age group. This will allow the device to power on and be used in default selection without re-selecting with each power on.
- When the device is off, hold both the power button and the Age Precision button for 4 seconds, the backlight will turn yellow, you can then release the buttons.
- All Age Icons will flash continuously until the Age Precision button is pressed.
- Press the Age Precision button, the 0-3 month icon will be filled in and flash and the other icons will be empty. A second button press will advance to the 3-36 month icon flashing, a third will advance to 36+months flashing. This cycle continues in order with each button press. A full beep will sound with every button press.
- After 3 seconds of no button press, the displayed icon will remain on the screen and a full beep will sound. The device will turn off. When the device is turned back on, the default will be set.
The default will be set on the device until the batteries are removed and then put back in.
How to change the temperature between °C and °F
Your Braun ThermoScan is shipped with the Celsius (°C) temperature scale activated. If you wish to switch to Fahrenheit (°F) and/or back from Fahrenheit to Celsius, proceed as follows:
- Make sure the thermometer is turned off.
- Press and hold down the Power button . After about 3 seconds the display will show this sequence: °C / SET / °F / SET.
- Release the Power button when the desired temperature scale is shown. There will be a short beep to confirm the new setting, then the thermometer is turned off automatically. short beep to confirm the new setting, then the thermometer is turned off automatically.
Care and cleaning
The probe tip is the most delicate part of the thermometer. It must be clean and intact to ensure accurate readings. If the thermometer is ever accidentally used without a Hygiene cap, clean the probe tip as follows:
Very gently wipe the surface with a cotton swab or soft cloth moistened with alcohol. After the alcohol has completely dried out, you can put a new Hygiene cap on and take a temperature measurement. If the probe tip is damaged, please contact Consumer Relations. Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the thermometer display and exterior. Do not use abrasive cleaners. Never submerge this thermometer in water or any other liquid. Store thermometer and Hygiene caps in a dry location free from dust and contamination and away from direct sunlight. Additional Hygiene caps (LF 40) are available at most stores carrying Braun ThermoScan.
Replacing the batteries
- Insert new batteries when the battery symbol appears on the display.
- Open the battery compartment. Remove the batteries and replace with new batteries, making sure the poles are in the right direction.
- Snap battery door into place.
Errors and troubleshooting
- Displayed temperature range: 34 – 42.2 °C (93.2 – 108 °F)
- Operating ambient temperature range: 10 – 40 °C (50 – 104 °F)
- Storage temperature range: -25 – 55 °C (-13 – 131 °F)
- Operating and storage relative humidity: 10-95% RH (non condensing) Display
- resolution: 0.1 °C or °F
- Accuracy for displayed temperature range Maximum Laboratory Error 35 – 42 °C (95 – 107.6 °F): ±0.2 °C (±0.4 °F)
- Outside this range: ±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)
- Clinical repeatability: ±0.14 °C (±0.26 °F)
- Battery life: 2 years/350 measurements/ 100 minutes in nightmode
- Service life: 5 years
Subject to change without notice.
This medical device carries the CE mark and is manufactured in conformity with RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU and other applicable directive and/or regulations as specified in the EU Declaration of Conformity. Full responsibility for the conformance of the product to the standard is assumed by Kaz Europe Sarl, Place Chauderon 18, CH-1003 Lausanne, Switzerland.
ASTM laboratory accuracy requirements in the display range of 37 to 39 °C (98 to 102 °F) for IR thermometers is ±0.2 °C (±0.4 °F), whereas for mercury-in-glass and electronic thermometers, the requirement per ASTM Standards E667-86 and E1112-86 is ±0.1 °C (±0.2 °F).
MEDICAL ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT needs special precautions regarding EMC. NOTE: Do not use this device in the presence of electromagnetic or other interference outside the normal range specified in EN 60601-1-2. For detailed description of EMC requirements please visit website (Support / Document center) or contact service center.
Portable and mobile RF communications equipment can affect MEDICAL ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.
This product contains batteries and recyclable electronic waste. To protect the environment, do not dispose of it in the household waste, but take it to appropriate local collection points.
This product has been calibrated at the time of manufacture. If used according to the use instructions, periodic calibration is not required. This device is not intended as a substitute for regular check-ups by your doctor, please consult your doctor if you have any doubt about the temperature reading.
In Europe, any serious incident (e.g. death, life-threatening injury, surgical intervention, …) that has occured in relation to this thermometer should be reported to Kaz Europe (see Helen of Troy Authorized Service Centers) and to the competent authority of your member state.”
REF, LOT and Serial numbers of your product must be provided as they are essential to record and follow up your inquiry or claim. The LOT and Serial numbers are located in the battery compartment. The production date is given by the LOT number and can be deciphered as explained below: – The first 3 numeric digits in the LOT number represent the day of the year of manufacture. The next 2 numeric digits represent the last two numbers of the calendar year of manufacture and the letter(s) at the end designate the manufacturer of the product. (E.g.: LOT No.: 12313tav this product was made on the day 123, year 2013 at the manufacturer code tav.)
Please read all instructions before attempting to use this device. Please retain the receipt as proof of and date of purchase. The receipt must be presented when making any claim within the relevant guarantee period. Any claim under the guarantee will not be valid without a proof of purchase. Your device is guaranteed for Two Years (2 Years) from date of purchase.
This guarantee covers defects in materials or workmanship that occur under normal use; defective devices meeting these criteria will be replaced free of charge. The guarantee DOES NOT cover defects or damage resulting from abuse or failure to follow the user instructions. The guarantee becomes void if the device is opened, tampered with, or used with non-Braun branded parts or accessories, or if repairs are undertaken by unauthorized persons. Accessories and consumables are excluded from any warranty. For support requests, please visit www.BraunHealthcare.com/uk_en/ or find service contact information at the end of this owner’s manual. This Guarantee is applicable to Europe, Russia, Middle East and Africa only. UK Only: This does not affect your consumer statutory rights.