the Coffee & Spice™
on the purchase of your new
BREVILLE RECOMMENDS SAFETY FIRST
At Breville, we are very safety conscious. We design and manufacture consumer products with the safety of you, our valued customer, foremost in mind. In addition, we ask that you exercise a degree of care when using any electrical appliance and adhere to the following precautions.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
BEFORE USE AND SAVE FOR
- Do not immerse the motor base, plug or cord in water or any other liquid.
- Always use the appliance on a dry, level surface.
- Always switch the appliance to ‘OFF’, switch the power off at the power outlet and then remove the plug when the appliance is not being used and before cleaning.
- Care should be taken when cleaning the grinding container as the grinding blades are sharp.
- The appliance is not intended for use by young children or infirm persons without supervision.
- Do not leave the appliance unattended when in use. Young children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- Fully unwind the power cord before use.
- Do not let the cord hang over the edge of a table or counter, touch hot surfaces or become knotted.
- Do not place this appliance on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or where it could touch a heated oven.
- This appliance is for household use only. Do not use this appliance for anything other than its intended use. Do not use outdoors.
- Do not operate this appliance for longer than 60 seconds as this could cause overheating. Allow the appliance to cool down for 10-15 minutes after a long operation.
- Regularly inspect the supply cord, plug and actual appliance for any damage. If found damaged in any way, immediately cease use of the appliance and return the entire appliance to the nearest authorized Breville service centre for examination, replacement or repair.
- The installation of a residual current device (safety switch) is recommended to provide additional safety protection when using electrical appliances. It is advisable that a safety switch with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA be installed in the electrical circuit supplying the appliance. See your electrician for professional advice.
- The maximum quantity of coffee beans is 70g.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Switch off the appliance and disconnect from the power supply before removing the bowl or approaching parts that move in use.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
KNOW YOUR BREVILLE PRODUCT
A. On/Off switch: touch activation
B. Easy clean removable bowl
C. Transparent cover
D. Stainless steel blade system
E. Brushed stainless steel finish
F. 200 Watt motor
G. Cord storage
OPERATING YOUR BREVILLE PRODUCT
BEFORE FIRST USE
Remove any packaging material or promotional labels before first use. Wash the transparent grinder cover with warm, soapy water. Dry thoroughly. Wipe the stainless steel grinding container with a slightly damp cloth and dry well. Care should be taken when cleaning the grinding container as the grinding blades are sharp.
OPERATION OF YOUR GRINDER
- Remove the transparent cover and ensure the grinding container is clean and empty and locked securely into the drive base.
- Measure the desired quantity of coffee beans or spices in the cover. Carefully tip the coffee or spices into the grinding container.
- Place the cover onto the grinder.
- Plug the grinder into a 230/240V power outlet and switch on.
- Start the grinder by pressing down on the transparent cover and hold for the duration of grinding.
- When you have reached the desired grind, lift off the cover, rotate, and release the removable bowl. Invert and tap the base of the bowl to remove the ground ingredients.
- Clean according to instructions on page 9.
- To ensure optimal grinding performance, allow your grinder to cool for at least one minute between uses.
- The grinder will not grind anything that is sticky or extremely hard i.e. chocolate, whole nutmeg, candied fruits, etc.
- The grinder will not make pastes of any fruits, seeds or herbs i.e. curry pastes, nut butter (peanut butter), or tahini (ground sesame paste).
- Do not overfill the grinding bowl.
We recommend quality 100% Arabica beans with a ‘Roasted On’ date stamped on the bag, not a ‘Best Before’ or “Use By’ date.
Coffee beans are best consumed between 5-20 days after the ‘Roasted On’ date. Store coffee beans in an airtight container and grind immediately before brewing.
For Plunger style coffee, start with a ‘brew ratio’ of approx. 60g of ground coffee per liter of water. For an 8 cup plunger that’s approx. 50g of coffee. Adjust the amount of coffee to suit the strength you prefer. Operating the grinder for approximately 10-15 seconds will yield grinds of the correct size for the plunger.
Follow these easy steps for a great cup:
- Weigh your coffee beans.
- Place coffee beans into a grinding container and grind for 10-15 seconds using a timer.
- Using a variable temperature kettle, heat the appropriate volume of water to 95˚C. This is an ideal temperature for brewing coffee. Never using boiling water.
- Place the ground coffee in the plunger vessel.
- Pour the heated water into the plunger in a swirling manner to ensure all the ground coffee is soaked and the plunger vessel is full. The ‘bloom’ (expanding coffee and gases) should reach the top of the plunger.
- Using a timer, wait 4 minutes.
- Using a spoon, break the ‘crust’(the bloom becomes dense and a bit hard) and smell the aroma.
- Insert the plunger and carefully press down.
- Do not press too hard. Gently release pressure by pulling up slightly and press down again if you have pressed too hard.
For Percolator-style coffee, use the same ‘brew ratio’ as a plunger. The grind size should be slightly finer than for the plunger, so grind for 5 seconds longer to achieve the correct fineness.
- Weigh your coffee beans.
- Place coffee beans into the grinder bowl and grind for 15-20 seconds using a timer.
- Fill the percolator with fresh cold water.
- ill the grind container of the percolator with the ground coffee. Do not overfill.
- Place the grinds container into the percolator ensuring it is seated properly in the base of the percolator.
- Replace the percolator lid and switch on.
- For best flavor, drink as soon as the percolator has switched off. Brewed coffee left in the percolator will continue to brew and create a stewed flavor.
- Spices produce the best flavor when they are fresh.
- When purchasing spices, buy in small quantities.
- Try to avoid buying spices that are in cellophane as the packs allow the volatile oils to escape and allow oxygen to get in.
- Buy spices in glass jars or good-quality plastic pouches.
- Keep in a cool place and avoid spice racks that are in direct sunlight.
- Don’t keep spices past their Use By or Best Before date as the flavors and aromas will have deteriorated.
Some recipes will suggest drying roast spices first. This changes the flavor of the spice which is ideal for foods such as curries. To dry roast, place whole spices in a small frying pan and cook over medium heat until the spices start to change color and become fragrant. Some spices will start to pop which is a good indication that they are toasted well. Don’t over roast as spices may become bitter. Allow spices to cool completely before grinding. Spices should be ground for 10 seconds at a time until the desired consistency is achieved. Wait until the blade has stopped completely before removing the lid.
Grinding some spices may cause the lid to “cloud” due to the abrasion caused by hard spices. This will not affect the performance of the grinder. After grinding spices use a clean pastry brush to brush out spices. Raw white rice can be ground after grinding spices to clean the grinder and absorb some of the aromatics.
OPERATING YOUR BREVILLE PRODUCT
|SPICE||MAX RECOMMEND QUANTITY||TIPS|
|Almonds||1/a cup (55g)||Process only to a meal; not suitable to make nut butters|
|Cardamom seeds||1 1/2 tablespoons (10g)||The older the pods the harder it will be to grind down.|
|Cassia Bark||3 sticks (10g), broken into pieces||Only grind cassia bark that you can break easily with your hands beforehand.|
|Cinnamon Quills||3 sticks broken in pieces||Cassia can often be packaged as cinnamon. Cinnamon quills are recognized as several layers and break easily.
Only grind cinnamon that you can break easily with your hands beforehand.
|Coriander seeds||1/2 cup (approx. 22g)||Coriander seeds can be ground roasted or unroasted but are better roasted for cooking|
|Cumin seeds||Y3 cup (approx. 32g)||Cumin seeds can be ground roasted or unroasted but are better roasted for cooking|
|Dried chilli flakes||IA cup (20g)||Allow chili to settle for 30 seconds before removing the lid to reduce the risk of inhaling chili fumes.|
|Linseed||1/2 cup (85g)||Combine with almonds and sunflowers seeds to make LSA meal.|
|Peppercorns||‘/3 cup (40g)||The older the cloves the harder it will be to grind down.|
|Star anise||8-9 pieces (15g)||The older the star anise the harder it will be to grind down.|
|Sunflower seeds||‘/3 cup (55g)||Combine with almonds and linseed to make LSA meal.|
|Szechwan peppercorns||1/3 cup||Toast 1 tablespoon with 3 tablespoons of salt flakes and grind for salt and pepper mix|
|Whole cloves||3 1/2 tablespoons (30g)||The older the cloves the harder it will be to grind down.|
CARE and CLEANING
Switch off at the power outlet and unplug. Wipe the grinding container with a slightly damp cloth and dry well. Care should be taken when cleaning the grinding container as the grinding blades are sharp.
To thoroughly clean the blades, place the lid in position and operate for 30 seconds to dislodge particles under the blades. Switch off and unplug before continuing to clean. Empty the grinding container and wipe it clean with a damp cloth. Dry thoroughly. Switch off and unplug before continuing to clean.
Wipe the exterior of the grinder with a slightly damp cloth. Polish with a soft, dry cloth. Do not use abrasive cleaners.
Do not immerse the motor base or cord in water or any other liquid. Do not operate this product if the container is filled with liquid ingredients. Do not place the transparent cover or the grinding bowl in the dishwasher.
Raw white rice can be ground after grinding spices to clean the grinder and absorb aromatics.
Always switch off the power and remove the plug from the power outlet. Follow directions for cleaning and store in an upright position on a flat surface.
Breville Customer Service Centre
Mail: PO Box 22
Botany, NSW, 2019
Phone: 1300 139 798
Fax: (02) 9384 9601
Email: Customer Service: [email protected]
|New Zealand Customers
Mail: Private Bag 94411
Botany Manukau 2163
Auckland NEW ZEALAND
Phone: 0800 273 845
Fax: 0800 288 513
Email: Customer Service:
Breville is a registered trademark of Breville Pty. Ltd. A.B.N. 98 000 092 928.
Copyright Breville Pty. Ltd. 2014.
Due to continued product improvement, the products illustrated/photographed
in this booklet may vary slightly from the actual product.
BCG200 Issue – D14