With the Local Channel Connector you can enjoy your local channels — including news, weather, live sports and more.
Helpful Hint: You should re-scan your over-the-air channels at least once a month to find available channels, including newly added or changed ones.
To re-scan your over-the-air channels:
- Go to Menu > Settings
- Scroll to the right and click OK on Sat & Antenna
- In the Satellite Dish & Antenna Setup menu, select Over-the-Air Antenna Setup > Start Setup
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Local Channel Connector?
It’s a device that links an over-the-air antenna to your DIRECTV equipment, so you can get local channels. You can view local channels as you do other DIRECTV channels.
What do I get with the Local Channel Connector kit?
The kit comes with 4 items:
- An indoor antenna to get over-the-air local broadcast stations
- A Local Channel Connector device to connect the antenna to Genie models HR44 and HR54
- A power supply unit to connect the Local Channel Connector to an electric outlet
- A user guide with setup instructions
How do I set up the Local Channel Connector?
Plug the Local Channel Connector into the back of your Genie box with a USB cable and then to the indoor antenna with a coax cable. DTV_Local_Connector_Guide_2018 [pdf]
What can I do and not do with my Local Channel Connector?
With our over-the-air antenna service, you can:
- Simultaneously watch or record up to 2 channels.
- Pause, fast-forward, rewind, and record.
- Use parental controls to monitor local channels.
- Stream local channel signals to your Genie Mini.
You won’t be able to:
- Watch On Demand content.
- Record local channels using Mobile DVR on the DIRECTV App.
- Watch local channels on directv.com, online, or on local channel apps.
Which local channels can I get with the Local Channel Connector?
Local channel coverage varies. Find out which local channels are in your area.
What do I do if the Local Channel Connector doesn’t work in my home?
- Keep in mind that local channel signals can be very inconsistent or weak.
- Be sure to place the antenna near a window in your house.
- Signal strength and availability aren’t guaranteed and are affected by many factors, like the weather.
- The antenna may not work for everyone.
- If you don’t get a signal, check out your other options. (The antenna’s yours to keep.)
How do I uninstall the Local Channel Connector?
- Go to Menu > Settings, then scroll to the right and click OK on Sat & Antenna. In the Satellite Dish & Antenna Setup menu, select Over-the-Air Antenna Setup > Reset Settings > Follow the on-screen instructions.
- After Reset Settings is complete, unplug the Local Channel Connector. The Over-the-Air channels will be gone, and the Sat & Antenna option will no longer be visible in the Settings menu.
- If you chose to later reconnect the Local Channel Connector after having completed the un-install process, the on-screen installation prompt will not appear. Manual setup will be required: Menu > Settings > Sat & Antenna > Satellite Dish & Antenna Setup > Over-the-Air Antenna Setup > Start Setup.
For additional support, Contact DirecTV.