GIANT Hookless Wheel Systems
Thank you for purchasing GIANT Hookless WheelSystems, a highly engineered and innovative bicycle wheel solution which will help you achieve your performance goals. Please note that all new Hookless WheelSystems (2020) are equipped with “hookless” rims. By following the instructions below will ensure you get the most performance from your equipment and that it will continue to perform at the highest level. If you have any questions about anything covered in this manual, please contact your local authorized GIANT retailer.
This manual contains important safety, performance and service information. Make sure you are familiar with the information provided in the manual prior to installing your new wheels or before going on your first ride and keep it for future reference. For further information, please visit: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/manuals
- Compliance with the following instructions concerning assembly, handling, maintenance and care of your GIANT wheels is essential to provide proper and safe operation. Disregarding these instructions can lead to accidents resulting in serious injuries or even death.
- GIANT Hookless WheelSystems are designed and intended for use on a bicycle. The wheel or its components should not be used for any other applications or as a tool or toy, or in any manner other than that described in this user’s manual. Otherwise, it is at the user’s own risk. If you are not sure about the intended use of your WheelSystem, please consult your local authorized GIANT retailer for the intended use of the WheelSystem.
- Giant Tubeless tire products meet the ETRTO dimension standards to be fully compatible with GIANT WheelSystem. To be ensure compatibility with new Giant Hookless WheelSystems, please refer to the list of tires that are approved by GIANT and are compatible with GIANT hookless wheels.
- GIANT tubeless tires are always the best match for GIANT Hookless WheelSystems. Should you choose to use a non-GIANT tire, we have created a GIANT approved list of tires that we have tested to be 100% compatible with GIANT Hookless rims. To ensure your safety and to maintain your GIANT limited warranty, use only the tires listed on the GIANT approved tire list. The GIANT approved tire list can be found on https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/hookless-technology
- If necessary, you may use an inner tube on a GIANT tubeless rim, so long as the tire you are using is on the GIANT Approved Tire List.
- Use of brake pads or tires that are not compatible or recommended by GIANT may result in damage to your WheelSystem and will void the warranty.
- Ensure that GIANT hookless WheelSystems are compatible with all other parts such as type of brake, skewers, cassette, tire, valve and rim tape. Additionally, ensure that the wheels are properly installed prior to your first ride.
- If you encounter difficulties or are uncertain about anything identified in this user’s manual, please contact your local authorized GIANT retailer.
WARNING: If the wheel is not installed correctly or is improperly maintained, it may be dangerous and cause accidents with serious injury or even death.
It is recommended to use GIANT WheelSystems with GIANT Tubeless Systems
CAUTION: When installing GIANT Tubeless Systems (including rim tape, tubeless valve, tubeless sealant, and tubeless tire), please refer to the set up instructions issued by GIANT or consult your local authorized GIANT retailer.
STEP1. To achieve the best cycling performance, we strongly recommend the use of GIANT Tubeless System products (rim tape, tubeless valves, tubeless sealant, and tubeless tires) in combination with your GIANT Tubeless WheelSystem. GIANT Tubeless System products can be purchased from your local authorized GIANT retailer.
STEP2. When installing a tubeless tire on your GIANT Hookless WheelSystem, use it in combination with the GIANT tubeless rim tape, tubeless valves, tubeless sealant and tubeless tire.
STEP3. When installing the rim tape, Ensure the tape is set in the center of the rim bed, covers the entire width of the tire well and make sure that the tape overlaps 15cm on both sides of the valve hole (see Figure 1).
STEP4. For the installation of the tubeless valve, please see Figure 2 and Figure 3. Ensure that the provided O-ring seal is positioned correctly between lock-ring and rim (see Figure 2) Attach the lock-ring to the valve and tighten it finger tight. Do not use any kind of tools to tighten the valve lock-ring.
STEP5. For the installation of tubeless tires, please see “ASSEMBLY B, How to install tubeless tires on GIANT Tubeless WheelSystem.”
STEP6. For filling the sealant, please see “ASSEMBLY C, How to add sealant into GIANT Tubeless WheelSystem.”
- The use of a tubeless tire with GIANT Tubeless WheelSystems without GIANT recommended tubeless rim tape and tubeless valves can result in inflation failure.
- We strongly advice against the use of tire levers when installing the tubeless tire as this may cause structural damage to the tire and/or rim, resulting in inflation failure or sudden loss of air pressure.
- Use of a tubeless tire with a GIANT Tubeless WheelSystems without tire sealant may result in poor air retention and/or lead to sudden air loss in the event of a puncture.
- To achieve the puncture sealing performance, use only GIANT sealant. Using non- GIANT sealant may result in corrosion (tire, rim, and rim tape) or sticky tire and rim, which may lead to abnormal disassembly
Tire levers which have a sharp edge and/or are made of a metallic material may damage the rim. To prevent rim damage we recommend only using GIANT tire installation tool or the GIANT tire levers which are delivered with the GIANT tubeless WheelSystem.
How to install tubeless tire on GIANT Tubeless WheelSystem:
STEP1. Start from the opposite side of the valve, insert one side of the tire bead in the center channel of the rim bed (see Figure 4 below, center channel of the whole rim).
STEP2. Start from the opposite side of valve, insert the other side of the tire bead in the center channel of the rim bed (see Figure 4 below). Make sure to work toward the valve as shown in figure below. Ensure the beads of both sides of the tire all around the rim are in the center channel of the rim bed to finish the installation. (Use of Giant tire installation tool and lubricant may reduce the resistance of installation. Giant Tubeless System installation tool and lubricant can be purchased from your local authorized Giant retailer.)
How to add sealant into a Tubeless GIANT WheelSystem:
Step1：Remove valve core from valve body by using the provided tool. (Figure 5)
Step2：Shake the bottle well to distribute particles throughout the sealant. (Figure 6)
Step3：Using either the Giant Check and Refill Syringe or the bottle nipple, fill sealant through the open valve body. Depending on tire size the volume should be between 30~60 ml per wheel. (We recommend to add 60ml for tires that are 28c and above, and add 30ml for tires that are smaller than 28c) (Figure 7)
Step4：Reinstall the valve core to valve body by using the provided tool. Ensure the valve core and lock ring are firmly tightened. (Figure 8)
Step5：Re-inflate the tire to the lowest maximum tire pressure. (Figure 9)
Step6：Gently shake and spin the WheelSystem to distribute the sealant throughout the inside cavity of the tire and coat the entire inner surface to achieve the best air tight and puncture resistant performance. (Figures 10.1-10.4)
Step7：Install the WheelSystem according to the wheel and/or bicycle owner’s manual, inflate the tire to recommended riding pressure, close the valve and go for a ride.
NOTE: In some cases, the maximum inflation pressure of the tire and rim may be different, in such situation the lowest indicated maximum inflation pressure among them should be followed.
Braking with carbon rims at slow speed may cause a shuddering sensation. Only use GIANT brake pads for carbon rims to ensure best braking performance. Other pads may not provide sufficient braking performance and could overheat the rim, causing the carbon fibers to delaminate. Failure to follow may lead to personal injury and void of your warranty. Consult an authorized GIANT dealer for recommended brake pads.
Check the compatibility of the brakes, especially the brake interface of the frame, fork and wheel. Mount the brake set and its components to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
When mounting and adjusting rim brake pads, ensure to position the pads at least 3mm from the rim edge (Figure 11). Mounting closer to the rim edge may result in overheating during continuous braking or damage to the carbon fiber.
Incorrect adjustment of the brake pads will void the warranty.
The installation of center lock type disc brake rotor is shown in Figure 12. Please follow the disc brake manufacturer’s instruction for rotor installation.
- Rims for disc brake wheels are designed to be used with disc brakes only. Do not use rim brakes on a disc brake wheel.
- Rims damaged by using non- GIANT exclusive brake pads are not covered by the product warranty.
- A rim will wear out with normal use. Check rims before and after each ride for signs of excessive wear and have the rim replaced as soon as it exhibits any signs that it is worn out or damaged.
- Always brake with both brakes at the same time. Avoid continuous hard braking, this can overheat the rim and may lead to tire failure.
- Braking power is also reduced if the rim is wet or if you have new wheels or new brake pads. Adjust your manner of riding accordingly.
- Consult your local authorized GIANT retailer for any questions on this section.
MAINTENANCE and CARE
- Load limit of your product (the weight of rider + bike + luggage)
WheelSystems for road bike: 285 lbs. / 129kg
WheelSystems for mountain bike: 300lbs / 136kg
E-bike: Only use E-bike specific wheels. Consult an authorized GIANT dealer for more details.
- Storing your WheelSystems
Carbon WheelSystems may be damaged by improper storing. Do not hang the bike by the wheel while displaying or storage. (Figure 13)
CAUTION: Use caution when attaching the bike to a car rack as the unpredictable high forces of the retention devices may cause damage to the wheels.
- Contact your authorized GIANT retailer for all wheel service needs. Have the spoke tension and the wheel trueness checked regularly. Spoke tension that is too high or too low can cause high operating loads of the wheel components and could lead to a premature failure caused by material fatigue.
4. Check the wheels before and after every ride for any damage. Do not ride the wheels under any circumstances if there is any damage to the rim or other components of the wheels. For example: deformation of the braking surface, cracks in the rim, broken spokes, and looseness or play in the bearings. If this is the case, contact your authorized GIANT retailer to resolve the problem.
- Get your bike checked by authorized GIANT retailer after every accident that may result in damage to your WheelSystems.
- Wheels must be cleaned frequently with a soft sponge and neutral cleaner (such as mild soap and water). Do not use solvents (e.g. acetone, mineral spirits, etc.).
- Hub: The front and rear hub must be maintained at least once a year. If used regularly under extreme conditions (e.g. strong rain, mud, transport in rain, etc.) the driver body should be maintained more frequently. Frequent maintenance of the hubs guarantees a longer life span and optimal performance over time. Use of high-pressure water or strong cleaner may inject external contaminants into the hub and should be avoided. Do not use strong solvents. (e.g. acetone, mineral spirits, etc.).
- Sealant: to retain proper air tightness and puncture repair functionality, follow below mentioned maintenance frequency:
- Every 2 months: check and refill sealant as necessary
- Every 6 months: check and replace rim tapes as necessary
- Once per year: Remove old or dry sealant and use only a cloth rag to wipe the inside of the tire.
Improper maintenance may result in failure of sealant functionalities.
CAUTION: Before riding your bicycle, please check the tire pressure and clean all contaminants and brake pad residue (grit, dirt, oil, etc.) from the tires, brake pad and braking surface (particularly any traces of oil or grease) and check the wear of the brake pads, brake surface of the rim before every ride. Replace worn out brake pads with new ones to maintain optimum braking effect.
CAUTION: If you use Giant Tubeless Ready WheelSystems with tubeless tires, please check your tire after riding your bicycle. If big punctures occurred on the tire, please replace your tire.
To avoid damage to your carbon products, please do not store or transport the product in a manner that the product is exposed to constant high temperatures. Excessive heat can damage the resin that joins the carbon fibers. Giant suggests to ensure that the product is kept a minimum of 45cm away from any constant source of heat, for example car exhaust, heaters, open fire, etc.
Do not exceed 150°F (65°C) exposure to your carbon products.
GIANT LIMITED WARRANTY
Giant warrants it’s WheelSystems for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase for the original owner only.
This warranty applies only to this product when purchased new from an Authorized Giant Dealer and assembled by that dealer at the time of purchase.
Unless otherwise provided, the sole remedy under the above warranty, or any implied warranty, is limited to the replacement of defective parts with those of equal or greater value at the sole discretion of Giant.
This warranty extends from the date of purchase, applies only to the original owner, and is not transferable.
In no event shall Giant be responsible for any direct, incidental or consequential damages, including, without limitation, damages for personal injury, property damage, or economic losses, whether based on contract, warranty, negligence, product liability, or any other theory.
The above warranty, or any implied warranty, does not cover:
- Normal wear and tear on parts in situations where there are no assembly or material defects.
- Consumable components including tires, rim tapes, spokes, brake pads, bearing and sealant.
- Any damage by using non-Giant’s recommended brake pads and tires for your WheelSystem.
- Products serviced by other than an Authorized Giant dealer.
- Modifications of the product from its original condition.
- Use of this product for abnormal, competition and/or commercial activities or for purposes other than those for which this product was designed.
- Damage caused by failing to follow the User’s Manual.
- Paint, finish and decal damage resulting from taking part in competitions, jumping, downhill and/or training for such activities or events or as a result of exposing the product to, or operating the product in, severe conditions or climates.
- Labor charges for part replacement or changeover.
Except as is provided by this warranty and subject to all additional warranties, Giant and its employees and agents shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including incidental and consequential loss or damage caused by negligence or default) arising from or concerning any Giant product.
Giant makes no other warranties, express or implied. All implied warranties, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are limited in duration to that of the express warranties stated above.
Any claim against this warranty must be made through an Authorized Giant Dealer or distributor. The purchase receipt or other proof of the date of purchase is required before a warranty claim may be processed.
Claims made outside the country of purchase may be subject to fees and additional restrictions.
Warranty duration and details may differ by country. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which may vary from place to place. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS.
To find a Giant retailer near you, please visit: http://www.giant-bicycles.com