Innovo Infrared Thermometer
Copyright © Innovo Medical
2014-2016. All rights reserved.
Innovo Medical owns and reserves all of the rights comprised in the copyright of this document. No part of this document may be changed, excerpted, copied, reproduced, or imitated in any form or by any means without prior written consent of Innovo Medical.
All statements, information, and recommendations in this document are provided “AS IS” without warranties, guarantees or representations of any kind, either express or implied. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Innovo Medical reserves the right of final interpretation of this document.
Issuing Date: June 2016
To download the latest manual for the thermometer, simply scan the QR code above or visit http://innovo-medical.com/products/innovo-dual-thermometer
Questions or Comments?
Email: [email protected]
Thank you for purchasing the Innovo INV-EF100 Dual Mode Digital Infrared Thermometer. The INV-EF100 has passed numerous rigorous clinical tests and has proven to be safe, reliable and accurate when used in accordance with the operation manual.
We want to make a thermometer that is capable of accompanying your child from infancy to adulthood. That is why the INV-EF100 Dual Mode Digital Infrared Thermometer is designed to be BOTH an ear thermometer AND a forehead thermometer, offering users the freedom to choose between two modes. We recommend that you use the forehead measurement mode if your child is less than 1 yr old. The eardrum measurement mode can be used when they are older and more comfortable with a foreign object in their ear.
Please read the instructions carefully before using the product. Keep user manual in a safe place for future reference.
- Features of Dual Mode Infrared Thermometer INV-EF100
The INV-EF100 thermometer is able to measure both forehead and ear temperatures by detecting the infrared heat emitted by the respective areas. The forehead mode is activated by pressing the F1 button and the eardrum mode is activated by pressing the F2 button.
Convenient and easy to use
- Easy mode of operation – Take measurement with the press of a button
- Can be used anytime – even when your child is asleep
- Obtain reading faster than an oral thermometer and more comfortable than a rectal thermometer
- Ergonomic design
- Color coded display for fever detection
Accurate and quick
Utilize the latest infrared technology – accurate, precise and instant readings.
Safe and hygienic
- Unlike traditional thermometers, there is no glass or mercury that could pose as a potential health hazard. The thermometer is made up of ABS and TPR plastics, an infrared sensor, an infrared temperature measuring element, a microcomputer controlled circuit and a LCD screen.
- BPA and latex free.
Has a Memory Mode that can recall 20 previous readings to track changes in temperature.
Convenient Fever warning
When the temperature exceeds 99.5°F/37.5°C, the thermometer will warn the user that he/she may have a fever by 7 rapid short beeps and a flickering reading with a red backlit on the LCD screen for 3 seconds. (For normal body temperature, the signal is a long beep with a green backlit.)
The infrared temperature sensor detects infrared energy emitted by the eardrum. A built-in lens focuses the collected energy, which is then converted into a temperature reading by the thermopiles and measurement circuits.
2. Warnings and Precautions
This product is not intended to substitute advice from a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this product for self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem.
- Do not use the thermometer for purposes not specified in this User Manual. Follow the instructions stated herein and operate the thermometer carefully when measuring children’s temperature.
- Do not use the thermometer if any part, especially the sensor, shows any sign of damage. Do not attempt to repair the thermometer. Please contact your distributor.
- The thermometer is not designed to be used for newborn babies. Please consult with a doctor before using the thermometer on a newborn.
- The device is not a continuous monitoring device.
- Do not use the thermometer under an ambient temperature higher than 40.0°C (104.0°F) or lower than 10.0°C (50.0°F), which is beyond the operating temperature range of the thermometer.
- The thermometer is not waterproof. Do not immerse in water or other liquids. For cleaning and disinfecting, please follow instructions in the ‘Care and Cleaning’ section.
- Certain parts of the thermometer are lined precisely in order to perform properly. Do not drop the thermometer or twist the thermometer sensor. The thermometer is not designed to withstand intense impact or vibration.
- The thermometer is not a toy. Please keep out of children’s reach.
- Do not touch the tip of the thermometer probe. This may damage the infrared sensor inside.
3. Care and Cleaning
CAUTION! The thermometer sensor is extremely sensitive. The sensor lens has to be perfectly clean to ensure accurate readings.
CAUTION! Any debris and/or facial oil on the sensor lens will prevent an accurate measurement. Always check the sensor before use. The lens should be reflective and gleaming. If it looks dull and lackluster, please clean the lens before use.
- To clean the lens, gently swab the surface with a cotton swab moistened with rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropyl). Do not exert too much pressure as it may damage the delicate sensor.
- Wait for the alcohol to evaporate completely before using the thermometer. This may take about 5-10 minutes. Any residual alcohol will prevent accurate readings.
- To clean the thermometer body and display, wipe with a soft cloth slightly moistened with water or rubbing alcohol. Allow to air dry or gently dry with a piece of tissue paper.
Temperature taking tips for accurate measurement
- Always start with a clean probe and sensor to maintain accuracy and hygiene.
- Make sure that both user and thermometer have stayed in steady-state room condition for at least 30 minutes. Recent exposure to hot or cold temperatures will impact your reading.
- If taking multiple readings, it is advised to wait at least 10 seconds between readings. The thermometer is very sensitive to small changes in temperature. Repeated use with no pause may impact your reading.
- Before taking forehead measurement, remove hair, sweat, debris/oil.
- Before taking eardrum measurement, make sure that the ear canal is free from obstructions or excess earwax build-up.
- As with any thermometer, proper technique is critical to obtaining accurate measurements. Failure to follow instructions will result in inaccurate measurements.
- Normal body temperature is a range and varies by site. Therefore, measurements from forehead and eardrum should not be compared directly.
- In general, an ear temperature is usually 0.5-1°F (0.3-0.6°C) higher than an oral temperature, whereas a forehead temperature is usually 0.5-1°F (0.3-0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature. Therefore, it is NORMAL to get 1-2°F (0.6-1.2°C) difference between an ear measurement versus a forehead measurement. This is NOT due to the inaccuracy of the thermometer.
- Slide the battery cover off along the marked direction.
- Put two AAA batteries into the battery compartment according to the stated polarities.
- Slide the battery cover horizontally until it snaps back in place.
☆ Prior to using the thermometer for the first time, pull the plastic tab off the battery, if any.
☆ Batteries should be installed according to the stated polarities.
Otherwise, the device bracket might be damaged.
☆ Please remove the batteries if you will not be using the thermometer for an extended period of time.
4. Note on Body Temperature
- The normal body temperature is a range.
- The normal range varies from person to person and can fluctuate throughout the day.
- The normal range also varies by body site. Therefore, measurements from different sites should not be compared directly.
To determine if an individual is experiencing an elevated body temperature and/or having a fever, it is critical to know the individual’s normal body temperature when he/she is well. Take multiple readings to obtain the normal body temperature range and note the specific body site measured, for example: forehead or eardrum temperature.
- The normal body temperature range varies slightly with age and gender. Generally, newborns or children have higher body temperatures than adults, and adults have higher body temperatures than the elderly. Women’s body temperatures are approximately 0.3°C (0.5 °F) higher than men’s.
Normal body temperature fluctuates throughout the day and is also affected by external factors. The body temperature of an individual is the lowest between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and the highest between 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. An individual’s body temperature typically changes by less than 1°C (1.8 °F) each day.
5. Product Designs
(1) Probe cover (shown unattached to thermometer)
(2) Ear probe
(3) F1: Button for measuring forehead temperature
(4) F2: Button for measuring eardrum temperature and access Menu options
(5) LCD display
(6) Battery cover
6. Measuring Forehead Temperature
- With the probe cover attached, point the thermometer at the center of the forehead.
- Move the thermometer towards the forehead until the probe cover touches the skin. The probe cover acts as a distance guide and ensures that the measuring distance between the thermometer and the forehead is correct.
- Press and release the F1 button. The temperature will be displayed on the screen instantly.
- You can take another measurement by pressing the F1 button at any time although it is recommended that you wait 10 seconds between readings.
- Make sure that the forehead is free of hair and perspiration.
- The probe cover is attached out of the box.
7. Measuring Temperature via Eardrum
- Gently remove the probe cover to reveal the ear probe.
- Insert the ear probe into the ear canal.
- Press and release the F2 button. The temperature will be displayed on the screen instantly.
- Do not press the F2 button for more than 3 seconds as you will activate the memory retrieval mode.
For children older than 1 year old, gently pull the ear up to ensure that the ear canal is straight (See Figure 1). Position the ear probe carefully so that it is aligned with the eardrum to ensure accurate measurement readings. This applies to adults as well.
For children younger than 1 year old, gently pull the ear straight back to ensure that the ear canal is straight (see Figure 2).
In order to avoid inaccuracy:
- The sensor is extremely sensitive. Any debris and/or grease on the sensor lens might prevent an accurate measurement. For best result, please check and clean the lens regularly. Please note that the sensor lens can look deceptively “clean” when it is not. The lens of a clean sensor should be reflective and gleaming. If it looks dull and lackluster, then it is dirty. Please clean the lens with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol and wait 5-10 mins for the alcohol to completely evaporate before using the thermometer.
- Please use the thermometer indoor or in an environment where there is no strong air draft.
- Do not move during measurement.
- Make sure there isn’t any sweat, water or condensation on the forehead.
- If the thermometer is transferred from an environment where the ambient temperature might be different, please wait at least 10 minutes and follow rule number 2 before using the thermometer.
- Do not hold the thermometer for a long time as it is highly sensitive to heat.
- Keep the infrared sensor probe clean to ensure accurate readings.
- Before measuring temperature from the ear, remove earwax, if any. Keep the ear canal clean.
8. Instructions for Display and Operation
- Electromagnetic interference: INV-EF100 thermometer contains sensitive electronic components. You should not use the thermometer in an area with electromagnetic interference (e.g. near mobile phones or microwaves)
- Please dispose the used thermometer and batteries in accordance with local regulation requirements.
- Please remove the battery if you will not be using the thermometer for an extended period of time.
10. Technical Specifications
This infrared thermometer meets requirements established in ASTM Standard (E 1965-98). Full responsibility for the conformance of this product to the standard is assumed by Innovo Medical, 406 Sterling Street, Building 2, Camphill, PA 17011, USA.
ASTM laboratory accuracy requirements in the display range of 98°F to102°F (37°C-39°C) for IR thermometers is ±0.4°F (±0.2°C), whereas for mercury-in-glass and electronic thermometers, the requirement per ASTM Standards E 667-86 and E 1112-86 is ±0.2°F (±0.1°C).
11. Warranty and After-Sale Service
For inquiries, please email [email protected]
The device is under warranty for one year after the date of acquisition. To extend your warranty period for an additional 1 year, please go to www.innovo-medical.com and register your purchase.
Batteries, packaging, and any damage caused by improper use are not covered under warranty.