GC722D OptiGrill XL Contact Grill
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS
Use, maintenance and product installation guidelines: for your own safety, please read through all paragraphs of the instruction manual including the associated pictograms.
- This appliance is intended for indoor, domestic household use only. It is not intended to be used in the following applications, and the guarantee will not apply for:
– staff kitchen areas in shops, offices, and other working environments;
– by clients in hotels, motels, and other residential type environments;
– bed and breakfast type environments.
- Before first use removes all packaging materials, stickers, and accessories from the inside and the outside of the appliance.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance by an adult responsible for their safety. Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance, and do not use it as a toy.
- This appliance can be used by children aged 8 years and above and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved. Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by children unless they are older than 8 and supervised.
- Keep the appliance and its cord out of reach of children less than 8 years.
- Never leave the appliance unattended when in use.
- Accessible surface temperatures can be high when the appliance is operating. Never touch the hot surfaces of the appliance.
- This appliance is not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or separate remote-control system.
- Fully unwind the power cord before plugging in the appliance.
- If the power supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer or its after-sales service in order to avoid any danger.
- Do not use an extension lead. If you accept liability for doing so, only use an extension lead that is in good condition, has a plug with an earth connection, and is suited to the power rating of the appliance. Take all necessary precautions to prevent anyone from tripping over an extension cord.
- Always plug the appliance into an earthed socket.
- Make sure that the electric power supply is compatible with the power rating and voltage indicated on the bottom of the appliance.
- Use a sponge, hot water, and washing-up liquid to clean the cooking plates.
- Never immerse the appliance, its power cord, or plug in water or any other liquid.
WARNING: Do not heat or pre-heat without the 2 cooking plates inside the grill.
- Read the instructions carefully, common to different versions depending on the accessories supplied with your appliance, and keep them within reach.
- If an accident occurs, rinse the burn immediately with cold water and call a doctor if necessary.
- Before first use, wash the plates (see paragraph 5), pour a little cooking oil onto the plates, and wipe with a soft cloth or paper kitchen towel.
- Position the power cord carefully, whether an extension is used or not, so that guests can move freely around the table without tripping over it.
- Cooking fumes may be dangerous for animals which have a particularly sensitive respiratory system, such as birds.
We advise bird owners to keep them away from the cooking area.
- Always keep the appliance out of the reach of children.
- Check that both faces of the plate are clean before use.
- To prevent damage to the plates, only use them on the appliance for which they were designed (e.g., do not place in an oven, on the gas ring or electric hot- plate, etc.).
- Ensure that the plates are stable, well-positioned, and correctly clipped to the appliance. Only use the plates provided with the appliance or bought from an Approved Service Centre.
- Always use a wooden or plastic spatula to avoid damaging the cooking plates.
- Only use parts or accessories provided with the appliance or bought from an Approved Service Centre. Do not use them for other appliances or intentions.
- Do not use the appliance outside.
- Never leave the appliance unattended when plugged in or in use.
- To prevent the appliance from overheating, do not place it in a corner or below a wall cupboard.
- Never place the appliance directly on a fragile surface (glass table, tablecloth, varnished furniture, etc.) or on a soft surface such as a tea-towel.
- Never place the appliance under a cupboard attached to a wall or a shelf or next to inflammable materials such as blinds, curtains or wall hangings.
- Never place the appliance on or near hot or slippery surfaces; the power cord must never be close to or in contact with hot parts of the appliance, close to a source of heat or resting on sharp edges.
- Do not place cooking utensils on the cooking surfaces of the appliance.
- Never cut food directly on the plates,
- Do not use metal scouring pads, abrasive wire wool, or harsh scouring powder as this may damage the nonstick coating.
- Do not move the appliance when in use.
- Do not carry the appliance by the handle or metallic wires.
- Never run the appliance empty.
- Do not use aluminum foil or other objects between the plate and the food being cooked.
- Do not remove the grease collection tray while cooking. If the grease collection tray becomes full when cooking: let the appliance cool down before emptying.
- Do not place the hot plate on a fragile surface or underwater.
- To preserve the non-stick properties of the coating, avoid excessive pre-heating with the appliance empty.
- The plates should never be handled when hot.
- Do not cook food in aluminum foil.
- To avoid spoiling your appliance, do not use flambé recipes in connection with it at any time.
- Do not place a sheet of aluminum or any other object between the plates and the heating element.
- Never heat or cook whilst the grill is open.
- Never heat up the appliance without the cooking plates.
- Thank you for buying this appliance, which is intended for domestic use only.
- For your safety, this appliance complies with the applicable standards and regulations – Low voltage directive – Electromagnetic compatibility – The environment – Materials in contact with food.
- On first use, there may be a slight odor and a little smoke during the first few minutes.
- Our company has an ongoing policy of research and development and may modify these products without prior notice.
- Do not consume foodstuff that comes into contact with the parts marked with the logo.
- If the food is too thick, the safety system will stop the appliance from working.
Environment protection first!
Your appliance contains valuable materials which can be recovered or recycled.
Leave it at a local civic waste collection point.
|A Control panel||A6 Cooking level indicator|
|A1 On/off button||B Body|
|A2 Frozen food mode||C Handle|
|A3 Cooking programs||D Cooking plates|
|A4 Manual mode “4 temperature settings”
See specific manual quick start guide.
|E Drip tray|
|A5 OK button||F Power cord|
Guide of LED colors
Guide of automatic cooking programs
- Remove all packaging materials, stickers, and accessories from the inside and the outside of the appliance. The color sticker on the cooking level indicator can be changed, according to the language. You can replace it with the one on the inside of the packaging.
- Before using for the first time, thoroughly clean the plates with warm water and a little dishwashing liquid, rinse and dry thoroughly.
- 3-4 Position the removable drip tray at the front of the appliance.
5 For the best results, you may wipe the cooking plates using a paper towel dipped in a little cooking oil, to improve the non-stick release.
5bis Ensure that the bottom cooking plate and the upper cooking plate are correctly positioned in the product before the preheating phase begins.
6 Remove any surplus oil using a clean kitchen paper towel.
7 Connect the appliance to an outlet. (note the cord should be fully unwound).
8 Press the On/Off button.
9 If the food that you wish to cook is frozen, press the “frozen food” button.
10 Select the appropriate cooking mode according to what type of food you wish to cook.
9 automatic cooking programs and a manual mode with 4 different temperature settings
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook burgers.||Select this cooking program if you want to cook seafood.|
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook pork.||Select this cooking program if you want to cook red meat.|
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook a panini/sandwich||Select this cooking program if you want to cook bacon|
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook sausage/lamb.||If you select Manual mode the indicator light is green and you have manual control of the cooking time. 4 different temperature settings are available for this manual mode (green, yellow, orange, and red).
See specific manual quick start guide.
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook fish.|
|Select this cooking program if you want to cook poultry.|
If you are uncertain about what cooking mode to use for other foods because it is not listed above, please refer to the “Cooking table for out of program food” page 43.=
11 Press the “OK” button: the appliance starts pre-heating and the cooking level indicator flashes purple.
NB: If you have selected the wrong program, return to stage 8.
12 Wait for 4-7 minutes.
13 An audible tone is heard and the cooking level indicator stops flashing purple the pre-heating mode is complete.
Comments: At the end of pre-heating, if the appliance remains closed, the safety system will turn off the appliance.
14-15 After pre-heating, the appliance isready for use.
Open the grill and place the food on the cooking plate.
Comments: if the appliance remains open for too long, the safety system will turn off the appliance automatically.
16-17 The appliance automatically adjusts the cooking cycle (time and temperature) according to the food thickness and quantity.
Close the appliance to start the cooking cycle. The cooking level indicator turns blue and then becomes green to indicate the cooking is in progress (for the best results do not open or move your food during the cooking process).
During the cooking progress, there is a beep at each stage of cooking to warn the user that a cooking level (eg rare/yellow) has been reached.
Note for very thin pieces of food: close the appliance, the button “OK” will flash and the indicator will stay “fixed purple”, press “OK” to ensure the appliance recognizes the food and that the cooking cycle starts.
18 According to the degree of cooking, the indicator light changes color. Whenthe indicator light is yellow with a beep, your food is rare, when the indicator light is orange with a beep, your food is medium and when the indicator light is red, your food is well done.
N.B.: if you like your meat very rare, remove the meat when the cooking level indicator turns green.
Please note, especially on meat, it is normal that cooking result varies depending on the type, quality, and origin of food.
19-20 When the color corresponding to your choice of cooking level appears, open the appliance and remove your food.
21 Close the appliance. The control panel will light up and set itself to ‘choice of program’ mode.
Comment: the security system will turn off automatically if no program selection is made.
Cooking more food
If you want to cook the second batch of food, please pre-heat the appliance again (see section 2. “Pre-heating”, starting from point 9) even if you want to cook the same type of food.
How to cook another batch of food: After finishing your first batch of food:
- Make sure the appliance is closed with no food inside.
- Select the appropriate cooking mode/program (this step is necessary even if you decide to pick the same cooking mode than for the previous batch of food).
- Press the “OK” button: the appliance starts pre-heating. The pre-heating is symbolized by the cooking level indicator that flashes purple.
- The pre-heating is complete when an audible beep is heard and the cooking level indicator stops flashing purple.
- After the pre-heating, the appliance is ready for use. Open the grill and place the food inside the appliance.
Important: – Please note that for any new batch of food, the pre-heating phase is mandatory.
Remember to always have the grill closed and no food inside in order for the pre-heating to effectively function.
– Then wait for the pre-heating to be complete before opening the grill and placing the food inside.
N.B.: If the new pre-heating cycle is carried out immediately after the end of the preceding cycle, the pre-heating time will be reduced.
22-23-24 If y ou want to cook food to different personal tastes, open the grill and remove the food when it has reached the desired level and then close the grill
and continue cooking the other food.
The program will continue its cooking cycle until it reaches the ‘well-done level. 25 Keep warm function
When the cooking process has ended the appliance will automatically go on the keep warm setting and the cooking level indicator will automatically go red and an audible tone will sound every 20 seconds. If food is left on the grill it will continue to cook, while the cooking plates are cooling. You can stop the audible tone by pressing the “OK” button.
Comment: the safety system will turn the appliance off automatically after a certain amount of time. Second cooking If you want to cook more food, please refer to section 21.
26 Press the on/off button to turn off the appliance.
27 Unplug grill from the wall outlet.
28 Allow cooling for at least 2 hours.
To avoid accidental burns, allow the grill to cool thoroughly before cleaning.
29 Before cleaning, unlock and remove the plates to avoid damaging the cooking surface. The drip tray and the cooking plates are dishwasher safe.
30 The appliance and its cord cannot be placed in the dishwasher. The heating elements, visible and accessible parts, should not be cleaned after removing the plates. If they are very dirty, wait until the appliance has completely cooled down and clean them with a dry cloth. If you do not want to clean them in a dishwasher, you can use warm water and a little dishwashing liquid to clean the cooking plates, then rinse thoroughly to remove any residue.
Dry thoroughly using a paper towel.
31-32 Do not use metallic scouring pads, steel wool or any abrasive cleaners to clean any part of your grill, only use nylon or non-metallic cleaning pads.
Empty the drip tray and wash in warm water and a little dishwashing liquid, dry thoroughly using a paper towel.
33 To clean the grill cover, wipe with a warm, wet sponge and dry with a soft, dry cloth.
34 Do not immerse the body of the grill in water or any other liquid.
35 Always make sure the grill is clean and dry before storing.
36 Any other servicing should be performed by an authorized service representative.
+ Solid green indicator light
+Button It flashing
+ Button flashing
|• Switching on the appliance or starting an automatic cooking cycle with food between plates and without preheating(manual mode is automatically activated).||•2 possible options:
— Choose the temperature setting by
pressing the button and then pressing OK. Allow to cook, but you must monitor the cooking (manual mode).
— stop the appliance, remove the
food, close the appliance properly, re-program the appliance and wait until the end of preheating.
|The appliance stops during the cycle of preheating or cooking.||• The appliance has been kept open for too long while cooking.
• The appliance has been idle too long after the end of warm-up or keeps warned.
|• Disconnect the appliance from the outlet and leave for 2.3 mins., restart the process. The next time you use the appliance, make sure you open and dose it quickly for the best cooking results. If the problem occurs again contact your local Tefal customer service.|
| Flashing white indicator light
+al button flashing
+ Discontinue bip
• Appliance stored or used in a room that is too cold.
|•Disconnect and reconnect your appliance and immediately restart a preheat cycle. If the problem persists, contact your Customer Service.|
|The appliance no longer beeps.|
|After the preheating, I have put my food on the grill but the indicator stays on PURPLE and the cooking cycle does not start.||• Your food is thicker than 4 cm.||•Food must not be thicker than 4 cm.|
|• You have not completely opened the grill to place the food.||•Completely open the grill then dose it|
|• Not sensing the food. The food thickness too thin, “OK’ is flashing.||•Confirm the start of the cooking by pressing the 6 buttons.|
|The appliance will activate in manual mode
+ The indicator light will blink red.
|• Preheating time was cut short.||• Monitor the cooking periodically (for use in manual mode). Or
• Stop the grill, remove food, close the grill, select the new cooking program you wish to use and wait for the preheating cycle to finish.
+ button flashing
|• Appliance failure||• Unplug the product and contact your customer service.|
Tip, especially for meat: the cooking results on the preset programs may vary depending on origin, cut and quality of
the food being cooked, the programs have been set and tested for good quality food.
Similarly, the thickness of the meat has to be taken into account during cooking; you cannot cook food that is thicker
than 4 cm.
Cooking Guide (automatic programs)
|Dedicated program||Cooking level color indicator|
|Panini /Sandwich||Lightly cooked||Browned||Crispy|
Tips: if you like your meat blue rare, you can use
|Cooking level||Cooking level
|Bread||Slices of bread, toasted sandwiches|
|Burger: (after pre-cooking the meat)|
|Meat & Poultry||Lamb (boneless)|
|Slice of ham to cook|
|Frozen chicken nuggets|
|Marinated chicken breast|
|Pork fillet (boneless), pork belly|
|King prawns (with and without shells on)|
See a specific manual quick
|Grilled vegetables and fruits
(need to be of same cut and thickness)
|4 different temperature settings|
For frozen food, press before selecting your program.
TEFAL/T-FAL INTERNATIONAL GUARANTEE: COUNTRY LIST
|ARGENTINA||0800-122-2732||2 years||GROUPE SEB ARGENTINA S.A.
Billinghurst 1833 3°
Capital Federal Buenos Aires
|AUSTRALIA||1300307824||1 year||GROUPE SEB AUSTRALIA
PO Box 7535,
Silverwater NSW 2128
|CANADA||1-800-418-3325||1 year||GROUPE SEB CANADA
345 Passmore Avenue
Toronto, ON M1V 3N8
TEFAL/T-FAL INTERNATIONAL GUARANTEE
Date of purchase: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Product reference: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Retailer name & address: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Distributor stamp . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .