TP-Link Range Extender RE505X / RE605X
- Plug the extender into a power outlet next to your router. Wait until its Power LED turns solid on.
Via the Tether App
- Get the up-to-date Tether app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, or simply scan the QR code.
- Launch the Tether app and log in with your TP-Link ID. If you don’t have an account, create one first.
- Tap the button and select Range Extender.
- Note: If you cannot find your device, please refer to FAQ > Q1
- Follow app instructions to complete the setup. The LED should turn solid on, indicating a successful connection to your router.
- Note: If the LED does not turn solid on, please refer to FAQ > Q2.
More Setup Methods
Via a Web Browser
- Connect your computer or smartphone to the extender’s network TP-Link_Extender.
- Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net or http://192.168.0.254 in a web browser. Create a password to log in.
- Follow web instructions to complete the setup.
Via the WPS Button
- Press the WPS button on your router.
- Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on the extender for 1 second. The LED should change from blinking to solid on, indicating successful connection.
- If the extender connects to a dual-band router, repeat steps 1 and 2 to connect to the other band.
- Extended Network Names: Router’s network name with _EXT at the end
- Same as your OneMesh router (See back for OneMesh details)
- Passwords: Same as your router.
For more details, please refer to the user guide at: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download.
- Plug in the extender about halfway between your router and the Wi-Fi dead zone. The location you choose must be within the range of your router.
- Wait for about 2 minutes until the LED turns solid blue. If it doesn’t, relocate the extender closer to the router to achieve better signal quality.
Tip: For more intuitive location assistance, access extender settings via the Tether app and go to Tools > Location Assistant.
- Connect your devices to the extender wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable, then enjoy the internet. The password of your extended network is the same as your host router.
Tip: You can also set up the extender in Access Point mode to transform your existing wired network to a wireless one. For details, refer to the user guide at https://www.tp-link.com/support.
Access Extender Settings
- After setup, you can access extender settings via any of the methods below.
- You can reselect host network, change extended network settings and more.
Note: If your extender and router use the same network name, Method 1 is recommended.
Method 1: Via the Tether App
- Connect your smartphone to the extender‘s or router’s network.
- Launch the Tether app, select your extender, and log in.
- View or change extender settings as needed.
Method 2: Via a Web Browser
- Connect your computer or smartphone to the extender’s network. If you are using a computer, unplug the Ethernet cable if any.
- Launch a web browser, enter http://tplinkrepeater.net in the address bar, and log in.
- View or change extender settings as needed.
OneMeshTM with Seamless Roaming
TP-Link OneMesh router and extenders work together to form one unified Wi-Fi network. Walk through your home and stay connected with the fastest possible speeds thanks to OneMesh’s seamless coverage.
Unified Wi-Fi Network
- Routers and extenders share the same wireless settings, including network name, password, access control settings, and more.
- Devices automatically switch between your router and extenders as you move through your home for the fastest possible speeds.
Easy Setup and Management
- Set up a OneMesh network with a push of WPS buttons. Manage all network devices on the Tether app or at your router’s web management page.
To check full list of TP-Link OneMesh devices, scan the QR code, or visit https://www.tp-link.com/One-Mesh/compatibility.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q1. What should I do if the Tether app cannot find my device during setup?
Try another method by following the steps below:
- Connect your smartphone to the extender’s network TP-Link_Extender.
- Launch the Tether app, and select your extender.
- Tip: If you have connected to the extender’s Wi-Fi but still cannot find your device, try turning off your cellular data.
- Follow app instructions to complete the setup. If you are still having problems, contact our technical support.
What should I do if the LED doesn’t turn solid on after completing setup via the Tether app or web browser?
- You may have entered an incorrect Wi-Fi password for your host router during the configuration. Check the password and try again.
- Make sure the extender is close to your router, preferably within 16 feet, and away from large electrical appliances.
- If you have enabled wireless MAC filtering, wireless access control, or access control list (ACL) on your router, disable them first, then follow any method on the front page to complete the configuration.
- Try setting it up via the WPS button.
- Reset the extender and go through the configuration again.
- If you are still having problems, contact our technical support.
How do I reset the extender?
- With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button for 1 second.
- The extender will reboot.
- Keep the device away from water, fire, humidity, or hot environments.
- Do not attempt to disassemble, repair, or modify the device.
- Do not use the device where wireless devices are not allowed.
- The socket outlet shall be installed near the equipment and shall be easily accessible.
Please read and follow the above safety information when operating the device. We cannot guarantee that no accidents or damage will occur due to improper use of the device. Please use this product with care and operate at your own risk. TP-Link hereby declares that the device is in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of directives 2014/53/EU, 2009/125/EC, 2011/65/EU, and (EU)2015/863. The original EU declaration of conformity may be found at https://www.tp-link.com/en/ce.
- To communicate with TP-Link users or engineers, please join the TP-Link Community at https://community.tp-link.com.
- If you have any suggestions or needs for our product guides, you are welcome to email
- For technical support, the user guide, and other information, please visit https://www.tp-link.com/support/, or simply scan the QR code.