Control spatial audio on AirPods with iPod touch
When you watch a supported show or movie, AirPods Max (iOS 14.3 or later) and AirPods Pro use spatial audio to create an immersive surround sound experience. Spatial audio includes dynamic head tracking. With dynamic head tracking, you hear the surround sound channels in the right place, even as you turn your head or move your iPod touch.
Learn how spatial audio works
- Place AirPods Max on your head or place both AirPods Pro in your ears, then go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- In the list of devices, tap next to your AirPods Max or AirPods Pro, then tap See & Hear How It Works.
Turn spatial audio on or off while watching a show or movie
Open Control Center, press and hold the volume control, then tap Spatial Audio at the lower right.
Turn spatial audio off or on for all shows and movies
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- In the list of devices, tap next to your AirPods.
- Turn Spatial Audio on or off.
Turn off dynamic head tracking
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Headphones.
- Tap the name of your headphones, then turn Follow iPod touch off.
Dynamic head tracking makes it sound like the audio is coming from your iPod touch, even when your head moves. If you turn off dynamic head tracking, the audio sounds like it’s following your head movement.