BLACK DECKER 12-cup* Programmable Coffeemaker
Congratulations o n your purchase o f the Black+Decker™ 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker. We have developed this guide to ensure optimal product performance and your complete satisfaction. Save this use and care manual and be sure to register your appliance online at www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and/or injury, including the following:
- Read all instructions.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against fire, electric shock and injury to persons do not immerse cord, plugs or appliance in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from outlet when either the appliance or display clock is not in use, and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner. Contact Consumer Support at the number listed in this manual.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may result in fire, electric shock or injury to persons.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- To disconnect, press the Start/Power button to turn the appliance off, then remove plug from wall outlet.
- Do not use this appliance for other than intended use.
- Keep lid on the carafe when in use.
- Scalding may occur if the lid is removed during the brewing cycles.
- The carafe is designed for use with this appliance. It must never be used on a range top.
- Do not set a hot carafe on a wet or cold surface.
- Do not use a cracked carafe or a carafe having a loose or weakened handle.
- Do not clean carafe with cleansers, steel wool pads or other abrasive material.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
This product is for household use only.
POLARIZED PLUG (120V models only)
This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to ﬁt into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not ﬁt fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not ﬁt, contact a qualiﬁed electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
Warning: This appliance is equipped with a tamper-resistant screw to prevent removal of the outer cover. To reduce the risk of ﬁre or electric shock, do not attempt to remove the outer cover. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Repair should be done only by authorized service personnel.
- a) A short power-supply cord is provided to reduce the risks resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
- b) Extension cords are available and may be used if care is exercised in their use.
- c) If an extension cord is used:
- The marked electrical rating of the extension cord should be at least as great as the electrical rating of the appliance;
- If the appliance is of the grounded type, the extension cord should be a grounding-type 3-wire cord; and
- The cord should be arranged so that it will not drape over the counter top or tabletop where it can be pulled on by children or tripped over.
Note: If the power cord is damaged, please contact the warranty department listed in these instructions.
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR COFFEE MAKER
- Brew basket (Part # CM1231-02)
- Control panel
- Carafe with lid
(Part # CM1251W-01) white
(Part # CM1331-02) black
- Vortex showerhead
- Water reservoir
- Water level markings
- Sneak-A-Cup™ interrupt feature
- Nonstick “keep hot” carafe plate
- Built-in cord storage (not shown)
HOW TO USE
This product is for household use only.
- Remove all packing material, any stickers, and the plastic band around the power plug.
- Go to www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker to register your product.
- Wash removable parts as instructed in CARE AND CLEANING.
- Pour fresh cold water up to 12-cup level mark into the water reservoir.
- Place basket-style paper ﬁlter into removable ﬁlter basket. Place basket into ﬁlter basket holder. Make sure the word “Back” is towards the back of the unit.
- Plug cord into standard electrical outlet.
- Brew water through appliance without adding coffee grounds. We recommend ﬁltered water.
- Discard water from the carafe and paper ﬁlter from ﬁlter basket.
- Turn off appliance; unplug and allow to cool down.
SETTING THE CLOCK
- Plug appliance into standard electrical outlet.
- The digital clock display flashes “12:00”. (A)
- To change the time: Press HOUR button until the correct time appears on the display. When the time passes noon the light next to the PM illuminates to let you know you are in PM time. If the PM light is not illuminated, it is AM time.
- Press the MIN button to select the minutes. The “:” will remain blinking. Pressing and holding the HOUR or MIN button will activate a rapid time advance.
Note: If the appliance is unplugged or power is interrupted even momentarily, the time may need to be reset.
BREW STRENGTH SELECTION
You may choose between regular or strongly flavored coffee to suit your personal taste. If you press the STRONG button; the light goes on and the brewing process slows to extract the maximum flavor from the coffee grounds. Regular strength is indicated by the STRONG light being off.
You may select how long you wish for the heated carafe plate to keep coffee warm after brewing. The default is 120 minutes.
- Press KEEP WARM button until your preference is shown. The button cycles through 30, 60, 90, 120 minutes or OFF.
- Coffee Maker will turn off once keep warm timer has expired.
- Open cover.
- Fill water reservoir with desired amount of water. The 12 Cup line represents a full carafe of coffee. Do not fill reservoir past this 12 Cup (maximum) line.
- Place an 8-12 cup basket-style paper filter into the brew basket. Make sure the tab on the brew basket fits into its slot on the right side of the opening (B) so that the lid closes.
- Add desired amount of ground coffee. Close cover.
- Make sure carafe lid is properly attached to the empty carafe. Close the lid. Note: Coffee may overflow if carafe lid is not properly placed.
- Place empty carafe on the carafe plate.
- If not already plugged in, plug power cord into an outlet.
- If regular brew strength is desired, your coffeemaker is set to brew coffee.
- If strong coffee is desired, press the STRONG button once to select the strong brew. The light next to the STRONG button illuminates.
- Press the Start/Power button , and brewing begins. The button illuminates.
- Once coffee grounds have cooled, carefully open cover and discard used grounds. Close cover.
- The coffeemaker will keep brewed coffee hot for how long is selected with the Keep Warm feature. Then the coffeemaker automatically turns off.
Note: Use spring water or ﬁltered water. Distilled water lacks the minerals necessary to bind to elements of coffee.
Note: Filtered water will limit impurities and excessive minerals that can detrimentally impact coffee ﬂavor and machine performance.
To turn off the coffeemaker at any time press the Start/Power button . The Start/Power button light goes off. Unplug appliance when not in use.
Remove the carafe and brewing will pause. The carafe must be placed back on the carafe plate in 30 seconds to prevent overflow. Brewing will begin again.
- Make sure clock has been set to correct time of day.
- Follow steps 1 through 9 under BREWING COFFEE.
- Press the BREW LATER button.
- The digital clock will flash 12:00.
Note: If the coffeemaker has not been unplugged, the last programmed brewing time will appear on the digital display.
- To change the time: press HOUR button until the desired correct time appears on the display. Press the MIN button to select the minutes.
- Delayed brewing is activated after 3 seconds with no button press. The light in the BREW LATER button will illuminate.
- To check the preset auto time, press BREW LATER button. The delayed brewing time will flash for three seconds. Then the clock time will display again.
- To change the delayed brew time, follow steps 1-5.
CARE AND CLEANING
This product contains no user serviceable parts. Refer service to qualiﬁed service personnel.
- Be sure the unit is unplugged and has cooled.
- Open the cover.
- To remove the ﬁlter basket, grip the handle and lift straight up. Discard the paper ﬁlter and the coffee grounds.
- Wash the ﬁlter basket, carafe and carafe lid in the top rack of the dishwasher or wash by hand with hot water and soap.
- Wipe the appliance’s exterior surface, control panel and carafe plate with a soft damp cloth. Do not use abrasive cleansers or scouring pads. Never immerse the coffeemaker in water.
- To clean the inside of the cover, open the cover and leave in the open position. Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth.
AUTO CLEAN™ SYSTEM
De-scaling With Auto Clean™
Over time, calcium deposits or “scale” may build up in your brewer. Scale is non-toxic but if left unattended can hinder brewer performance and cause premature failure. Regularly de-scaling your brewer helps to maintain quality coffee as well as the lifespan of the heating element, and other internal parts that come in contact with water throughout the brew process.
To make the de-scaling process as effortless as possible, an Auto Clean system has been programmed into your coffeemaker.
When should I use Auto Clean?
After every 60 brews, “CL” will be displayed and blink. This notiﬁes you it is time to run the Auto Clean system. “CL” will be displayed until you run the Auto Clean system. If you would like to clean your coffeemaker prior to 60 brew cycles, you may do so by following the steps below.
Please note: If the unit is unplugged, the counter that keeps track of reminding you to clean your coffeemaker will reset to 0.
If you have unplugged the coffeemaker, or if there have been power outages, we recommend cleaning the unit once a month.
How do I use Auto Clean?
Follow the simple steps below. Your coffeemaker will take care of the rest.
- Combine 6 cups of white vinegar and 4 cups of cold water in carafe. We recommend filtered water.
- Pour into water reservoir.
- Place an 8 to 12 cup basket style paper filter in the removable filter basket. Insert filter basket into filter basket holder and close cover.
- Make sure the lid of the carafe is in place and place empty carafe on the carafe plate.
- Plug power cord into an outlet.
- Press CLEAN to activate cleaning cycle; “CL” is displayed and the Start/Power button illuminates. The word, “CLEAN” scrolls across the display.
- Part of the mixture will brew through. The remaining mixture will be held in the coffeemaker for 30 minutes before completing its brew through.
Note: The entire cleaning cycle will take 45–60 minutes to complete.
- When the coffeemaker completes the AUTO CLEAN cycle, it shuts off automatically.
- Brew fresh water through appliance following instructions given in GETTING STARTED before brewing coffee again.
|Coffeemaker does not turn on.||Coffeemaker is not plugged in.||Make sure appliance is plugged into a working outlet.|
|Coffeemaker is leaking.||Water reservoir may have been overfilled.||Make sure you don’t fill the water reservoir
beyond the 12-cup line.
|Cover may not be correctly placed on carafe.||Make sure cover is correctly placed and tightened on carafe|
|Carafe may not be correctly placed on the carafe plate.||Make sure carafe is placed securely onto the carafe plate.|
|The filter basket overflows.||The carafe has been removed for longer than 30 seconds when using the Sneak-A- Cup™ feature.||Make sure to replace the carafe within 30 seconds during the brewing cycle.|
|Excessive amount of coffee is used.||Reduce the amount of coffee used.|
|Brewing with softened water.||Always brew with cold, filtered water.|
|Coffee sediment in brewed cup of coffee.||The paper filter and/or the filter basket are not properly placed.||Insert basket-shaped paper filter into filter basket and insert basket properly into holder.|
|The coffeemaker brews slowly.||The coffeemaker needs cleaning.||Follow the instructions in the “Auto Clean” section. More than one cleaning cycle may be required
if the coffeemaker is
If additional assistance is needed, please contact our consumer service team at 1-800-465-6070.
For service, repair or any questions regarding your appliance, please call our Customer Service Line at 1-800-465-6070. Please DO NOT return the product to the place of purchase. Also, please DO NOT mail product back to manufacturer, nor bring it to a service center. You may also want to consult the website listed on the cover of this pamphlet.
(Applies only in the United States and Canada)
What does it cover?
Any defect in material or workmanship provided; however, Spectrum Brands’ liability will not exceed the purchase price of product.
For how long?
Two years from the date of original purchase with proof of such purchase.
What will we do to help you?
Provide you with a reasonably similar replacement product that is either new or factory refurbished.
How do you get service?
- Save your receipt as proof of date of sale.
- Visit the online service website at www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker, or call toll-free 1-800-465-6070, for general warranty service.
- If you need parts or accessories, please call 1-800-738-0245.
How does state law relate to this warranty?
This warranty gives you speciﬁc legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from state to state or province to province.
What does your warranty not cover?
- Damage from commercial use
- Damage from misuse, abuse or neglect
- Products that have been modiﬁed in any way
- Products used or serviced outside the country of purchase
- Glass parts and other accessory items that are packed with the unit
- Shipping and handling costs associated with the replacement of the unit
- Consequential or incidental damages (Please note, however, that some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, so this limitation may not apply to you.)
Are there additional warranty exclusions?
This warranty shall not be valid where it is contrary to U.S. and other applicable laws, or where the warranty would be prohibited under any economic sanctions, export control laws, embargos, or other restrictive trade measures enforced by the United States or other applicable jurisdictions. This includes, without limitation, any warranty claims implicating parties from, or otherwise located in, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and the disputed Crimea region.