Breville® the Crystal Clear™ Lite Instruction Booklet
Suits all BKE480 models
BREVILLE RECOMMENDS SAFETY FIRST
At Breville we are very safety conscious. We design and manufacture consumer products with the safety of you, our valued customer, foremost in mind. In addition we ask that you exercise a degree of care when using any electrical appliance and adhere to the following precautions. Misuse can cause potential injuries.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE AND SAVE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
- Appliances can be used by persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved.
- Children shall not play with the appliance.
- Remove and safely discard any packaging material and promotional labels before using the kettle for the first time.
- To eliminate a choking hazard for young children, remove and safely discard the protective cover fitted to the power plug of this appliance.
- This kettle has been designed specifically for the purpose of boiling drinking quality water only. Under no circumstances should this product be used to boil any other liquids or foodstuffs.
- Do not place the kettle near the edge of a bench or table during operation. Ensure that the surface is level, clean and free of water and other substances.
- Do not operate the kettle on a sink drain board.
- Do not place the kettle on or near a hot gas burner, electric element or where it could touch a heated oven.
- Keep the kettle clear of walls, curtains and other heat or steam sensitive materials. Minimum 20cm distance.
- Always ensure the kettle is properly assembled before use. Follow the instructions provided in this book.
- The kettle must be used only with the power base supplied.
- This kettle is not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or separate remote control system.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use the handle for lifting and carrying the kettle.
- Do not place anything on top of the lid.
- Always ensure the kettle switch is in the ‘off’ position, then turn the power off at the power outlet and remove the plug from the power outlet before attempting to move the appliance, when the appliance is not in use and before cleaning and storing.
- Use caution when pouring water from the kettle, as boiling water and steam will scald. Do not pour water too quickly.
- To protect against electric shock, do not immerse the kettle base, power base, power cord or power plug in water or allow moisture to come in contact with these parts.
- Do not remove the kettle from the power base during operation. Ensure the kettle is switched to ‘off’ position after the water has boiled before removing the kettle from the power base.
- Do not move the kettle while it is switched on.
- Do not open the lid during operation.
- Do not overfill the kettle past the maximum water level mark. If the kettle is overfilled, boiling water may be ejected.
- Keep the kettle clean. Follow the cleaning instructions provided in this book.
IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS FOR ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
- Fully unwind the power cord before use.
- Do not let the power cord hang over the edge of a bench or table, touch hot surfaces or become knotted.
- To protect against electric shock do not immerse the power cord, power plug or appliance in water or any other liquid.
- This appliance can be used by children aged from 8 years and above if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning the use of the appliance in a safe way and if they understand the hazards involved. Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by children unless they are 8 years or above and are under supervision. Keep the appliance and its cord out of reach of children aged less than 8 years.
- It is recommended to regularly inspect the appliance.
- To avoid a hazard do not use the appliance if power cord, power plug or appliance becomes damaged in any way. Return the entire appliance to the nearest authorised Breville Service Centre for examination and/ or repair.
- Any maintenance other than cleaning should be performed at an authorised Breville Service Centre.
- This appliance is for household use only. Do not use this appliance for anything other than its intended use. Do not use in moving vehicles or boats. Do not use outdoors. Misuse may cause injury.
- The installation of a residual current device (safety switch is recommended to provide additional safety protection when using electrical appliances. It is advisable that a safety switch with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA be installed in the electrical circuit supplying the appliance. See your electrician for professional advice.
- For safety reasons it is recommended you plug your Breville appliance directly into its own electrical outlet on a dedicated circuit separate from other appliances. If the electrical circuit is overloaded with other appliances, your appliance may not function properly. Using in conjunction with a power strip or extension cord is not recommended.
- Do not spill water onto the connector.
- Do not operate the kettle on an inclined surface. Do not move the kettle while it is switched on.
- The heating element surface is subjected to residual heat after use.
- The appliance is designed for boiling of drinking quality water only. Never use to heat or boil any other liquids or foodstuffs. The lid should always be firmly in place and locked into the closed position before use.
- Do not press the lid release button to open the lid during and after operation. This may result in boiling water splashing from the kettle. Pour out all the hot water from the kettle before opening the lid to refill.
- Never immerse the kettle base, switch area, power base, power cord or power plug in water, or allow moisture to come into contact with these parts.
- To prevent damage to the kettle do not use chemicals, alkaline cleaning agents, steel wool or abrasive cleaners to clean the inside or outside of the kettle. Use a mild cleaning agent with a soft damp cloth.
KNOW YOUR BREVILLE PRODUCT
A. Soft Opening Lid BPA Free*
B. Removable Scale Filter
C. 7 Cup / 1.7 Litre Capacity
D. Auto Shut-Off & Boil Dry Protection
E. Rapid Boil 2400W Concealed Element
F. Multi-Directional Base with Cord Storage
G. Lid Release Button
H. Ergonomic Handle
I. Illuminated Power ON/OFF Switch
Breville Assist® Plug
* Breville makes its BPA free claim for this product based on independent laboratory testing performed for all the food contact plastic materials of the product per EU Commission regulation No. 10/2011.
CARE and CLEANING
Always switch Off at the power outlet and unplug the appliance from the power outlet before cleaning.
The kettle features a removable mesh filter to remove scale deposits for cleaner water. To clean the scale deposits from the filter, open the lid and slide the filter out from the slot behind the spout of the kettle.
The filter can be cleaned by placing under running water and rubbing with a cleaning cloth or brush.
To replace the filter, simply slide the filter into the slot behind the spout of the kettle and push back into position.
The filter could become damaged with time. Please check regularly and replace if found damaged.
The concealed element in the base of the kettle is made from high quality stainless steel. Any brown stains appearing are the result of mineral deposits and are not rust.
REMOVAL OF MINERAL DEPOSITS
Mineral deposits in tap water may cause the kettle interior and water gauge to discolour over time. This may be removed by using Breville Kettle Cleaner (BKC250) or a proprietary kettle descaler which is available from most leading supermarkets, department stores and hardware stores.
BREVILLE KETTLE CLEANER
Directions for use:
- Add 125ml of Breville Kettle Cleaner to 2 litres of water.
- Fill kettle to MAX mark with mixture on a protected surface.
- Bring kettle to boil and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Clean spout by using a cloth dampened with Breville Kettle Cleaner, rub well. Then wipe off.
- Bring the kettle to boil for a second time, then empty solution.
- Fill kettle with fresh water and bring to the boil, discard boiled water. Now your kettle is ready to make your next cup of tea or coffee.
- Fill the kettle until 2/3 full with 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. Boil and allow to stand overnight.
- Empty the solution from the kettle. Fill the kettle with clean water, bring to boil and discard the water.
- Repeat and the kettle will be ready for use.
TO CLEAN THE EXTERIOR
The outside of the kettle may be wiped over with a damp cloth and polished with a soft dry cloth.
For a full version of this Instruction Booklet, download via www.breville.com
Breville Customer Service Centre
Mail: PO Box 22 Botany NSW 2019 AUSTRALIA
Phone: 1300 139 798
Fax: (02) 9384 9601
New Zealand Customers
Mail: Private Bag 94411 Botany Manukau 2163 Auckland NEW ZEALAND
Phone: 0800 273 845
Fax: 0800 288 513
Breville is a registered trademark of Breville Pty. Ltd. A.B.N. 98 000 092 928.
Copyright Breville Pty. Ltd. 2017.
Due to continued product improvement, the products illustrated/photographed in this brochure may vary slightly from the actual product.
BKE480 Issue – C17