Farberware 2.5L Single Deep Fryer User Manual
Model Number: 103737
Please consider the option to recycle the packaging material and donate any appliance you are no longer using.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
- Read all instructions before use.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against electric shock do not immerse cord, plugs, or control panel assembly in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from wall outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Call our toll-free customer assistance number for information on examination, repair, or adjustment.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may result in fire, electric shock or injuries to persons.
- Do not use outdoors or in a damp area.
- Do not let power cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids.
- Always attach plug to appliance first, then plug cord in the wall outlet. To disconnect, turn temperature control knob to • OFF position, then remove plug from wall outlet.
- Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving fryer containing hot oil.
- Be sure handles are properly assembled to basket and locked in place. See detailed assembly instructions, on page 7.
- Dry food to prevent oil splashing.
- Store the appliance indoors to prevent electronic parts failure.
- Use only heat resistant tools. Do not use metal tools as they may become hot.
- Do not let children handle or put the electrical cord into their mouths.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance is for HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
- Periodically check for the looseness and retighten screws or nuts in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
Overtightening can result in stripping of screws or nuts or cracking of handle or feet.
SERIOUS HOT-OIL BURNS MAY RESULT FROM A DEEP FRYER BEING PULLED OFF A COUNTERTOP. DO NOT ALLOW THE CORD TO HANG OVER THE EDGE OF THE COUNTER WHERE IT MAY BE GRABBED BY CHILDREN OR BECOME ENTANGLED WITH THE USER. DO NOT USE WITH AN EXTENSION CORD.
DO NOT USE WITH AN EXTENSION CORD.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
- A short detachable power-supply cord is to be provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
- Do not let children handle or put the electrical cord into their mouths.
Before first use
- Remove all packaging materials, labels and/or stickers from your appliance.
- Check package contents for completeness and damage. Do not operate the appliance if package content is incomplete or appears damaged. Return it immediately to the dealer.
CAUTION: Danger of suffocation! Packaging materials are not toys. Always keep plastic bags, foils and Styrofoam parts away from babies and children. Packaging material could block nose and mouth and prevent breathing.
- Clean your appliance thoroughly before using for the first time ( Cleaning).
NOTE: The appliance may produce an odor and emit smoke when switched on for the first time, as residues from the production process are eliminated. This is normal and does not indicate a defect or hazard.
CAUTION: Never let the power cord (10) come in contact with the housing (9) or the lid (3) of the appliance during use.
CAUTION: Always ensure there is oil in the oil reservoir (8) before you turn on the appliance.
- Place the appliance on a clean, flat and heat resistant surface.
- Before using your appliance make sure:
- the oil reservoir (8) is secured in the correct position (the round edges are opposite to the connecting plate of the housing (9) (ill. ).
- the control panel assembly (14) is inserted into the slots of the connecting plate on the back of the housing (9) (ill. ).
- basket handle (5) is locked in place in the frying basket (4) (ill. ).
NOTE: To lock the basket handle (5) in place, press the bars together (ill. ). Slide the handle between the slots while inserting the ends of the bar into the bracket on the frying basket (4). Do not assemble any other way (ill. + ). Incorrect assembly may lead to an unstable setup and might cause injuries.
CAUTION: Do not fill the frying basket (4) over half way. Too much food can cause excess foaming and could cause the oil to overflow during operation.
NOTE: Your appliance is equipped with a safety switch located on the control panel assembly (14). If the control panel assembly (14) is not placed properly in its position, the appliance will not operate.
Using the appliance
Use the deep fryer for frying food such as French fries, chicken or fish pieces.
NOTE: The appliance has a rated power of 1400W. Before plugging it into the wall outlet, ensure that the electrical circuit is not overloaded with other appliances. This appliance should always be operated on a separate 120V~ 60Hz wall outlet.
- Pour cooking oil into the oil reservoir (8) (ill. ).
- DO NOT OVER OR UNDER FILL (ill. ). The minimum oil capacity is 2L, the maximum oil capacity is 2.5L.
- Spread a little oil on the inside of the view window (2) to prevent condensation.
- Place the lid (3) onto the housing (9).
- Attach the magnetic plug (11) to the socket on the back side of the control assembly (14). The magnetic plug (11) is designed to only fit one way. Be sure the side stating THIS SIDE UP is facing up (ill. ).
NOTE: Make sure the appliance is switched off before connecting it to the electric circuit.
- Insert the plug (10) into a wall outlet (ill. ). The POWER indicator (20) and READY indicator (19) turn on.
CAUTION: Do not fry food without the basket (4) (ill. ).
- Turn the temperature control knob (18) to the required temperature ( Frying time and temperature). The READY indicator (19) will turn on when the set temperature is reached.
Approximate time durations until set temperature is reached:
- After the oil has been preheated, remove the lid (3).
- Lift out the frying basket (4) and place the basket on a heat resistant surface or trivet.
- Fill the frying basket (4) with food (ill. ). Do not place too much food into the frying basket (4) (ill. ).
- Carefully lower the frying basket (4) into the oil reservoir (8).
- Cover the appliance with the lid (3) (ill. ).
CAUTION: After immersing the frying basket (4) in the oil, immediately place the lid (3) on the appliance. Danger of hot oil splashing out.
CAUTION: Food added to the appliance must be dry. If frying frozen foods such as French fries or chicken wings, remove all ice particles from the frozen foods prior to frying to prevent oil from overflowing.
CAUTION: Always remove excess moisture from food by patting with paper towel before frying. Even a small amount of water can cause severe splattering of hot oil.
NOTE: When frying fresh cut potatoes and high moisture content food, lower the basket slowly into the oil. If the oil boils or foams too rapidly raise the basket for a few seconds and lower again. Do this until the basket can be lowered without excess foaming. Do not use the cover when frying fresh cut potatoes or other high moisture content foods.
NOTE: For frying times, see Frying time and temperature or use the recommended times for your recipe.
- After the frying time has elapsed, remove the lid (3).
- Lift out the frying basket (4) and hang it onto the basket hook (6) on the rim of the oil reservoir (8).
- Let the food drain in the frying basket (4) for a few seconds to remove excess oil and retain crispness.
- Carefully lift the frying basket (4) and pour the food onto a place that has been covered with a paper towel to collect remaining oil.
- After the cooking process is finished, turn the temperature control knob (18) to • OFF position.
- To completely switch off the appliance, always disconnect the plug (10) from the wall outlet before removing the magnetic plug (11) from the socket on the appliance (ill. ).
CAUTION: The break-away power cord is for accidental disconnection. Do not remove during normal operation. If the cord becomes disconnected, immediately remove the plug (10) from the wall outlet. Turn the temperature control knob (18) to • OFF position and then reconnect the magnetic plug (11) to the appliance. Then reconnect the plug (10) to the wall outlet.
CAUTION: This appliance generates heat and steam during use. Proper precautions must be taken to prevent the risk of burns, fires or other injuries to persons or damage to property. Do not leave the appliance unattended while in use.
CAUTION: The metal surfaces of the appliance become hot. Do not touch while in use. Allow the appliance to cool at least 30 minutes before handling.
Frying time and temperature
The frying times in the chart below are approximate and should be adjusted to suit your own tastes, different food quantities and food manufacturer instructions.
The reset feature
Your appliance is equipped with a feature that protects it from damage due to overheating. If for some reason the appliance overheats, it will automatically switch off. Once the appliance has been reset, it can be turned on again.
Reset the appliance
- Unplug the appliance from the wall outlet.
- Let the appliance and the oil in the reservoir cool completely.
- After the appliance has cooled completely, use the tip of a ball point pen or pencil, and push the reset button (13), which is located at the back of the control assembly (ill. ). Then you may resume frying.
HINTS AND TIPS
Choosing the right cooking oil
As a general rule, choose cooking oils with a high smoke point and avoid flavored oils.
- Suitable: Pure corn oil, blended vegetable oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, grape seed oil
- Not suitable: Olive oil, peanut oil, walnut oil, lard
Cooking with oil
Cooking oil can enhance the food’s flavor – or spoil its taste. As with any other food component, freshness and correct handling of the oil is the key to successful deep frying results.
The quality of the oil decreases with use at high temperatures. Food particles, water and other liquids will further lower its quality, therefore:
- Do not mix different cooking oils
- Only use fresh and clean cooking oils:
- Regularly remove burnt food particles while frying.
- After use and before storage, filter oil with a fine-mesh filter to remove-smaller particles.
- Do not reuse oil that has been used to fry fish or other strongly flavored food.
- Some meats, such as chicken wings, will release large amounts of liquids –when frying, thus watering down the oil. Do not reuse this oil.
Do not use the cooking oil anymore if you notice the following:
- Before use: oil smells rancid or its color has visibly darkened.
- While frying: oil is foaming strongly or smoke appears on the oil’s surface at normal operating temperature.
- Do not store used cooking oil in the refrigerator. Choose a cool place that is not subject to sunlight. Generally, oil may be stored for a period of 3 month, once the bottle is opened. Please observe the oil manufacturer’s storage directions as well.
Proper maintenance will ensure many years of service from your appliance. Clean the appliance after every use. The appliance contains no user serviceable parts and requires little maintenance. Leave any servicing or repairs to qualified personnel.
CAUTION: Always turn the temperature control knob (18) to • OFF position. Disconnect the plug (10) from the wall outlet before disconnecting the magnetic plug (11) from its socket. Allow all parts of the appliance to cool completely.
NOTE: Do not immerse the power cord with plug (10) or appliance and magnetic plug (11) into water or any other liquid. Do not use abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring pads. Dry all parts thoroughly after cleaning, before using or storing the appliance. Ensure that no water enters the appliance housing.
- Do not attempt to attach the magnetic plug (11) permanently to the appliance.
- Clean the surface of the appliance, the lid (3) and the basket handle (5) with a damp cloth.
- The frying basket (4) (remove the basket handle) (5), lid (3) (remove the filter) and the oil reservoir are dishwasher safe.
- Remove the frying basket (4).
- Remove the basket handle (5) from the frying basket (4).
- Wash the frying basket (4) in a dishwasher or with hot soapy water. Rinse and dry in carefully.
CAUTION: Do not clean the basket handle (5) in the dishwasher.
- Remove the control panel assembly (14) from the back of the housing (9).
- Carefully lift the oil reservoir (8) by holding its rim.
CAUTION: The control panel assembly (14) should never be immersed into water or any other liquids.
- Gently clean the surface of the control panel assembly (14) with a damp cloth and a mild soap solution or plain water.
- After cleaning, reassemble appliance by placing the oil reservoir (8) into the housing and placing the control panel assembly (14) in its place (ill ). If the control panel assembly (14) is not placed properly in its position, the appliance will not operate.
- Dry all parts thoroughly after cleaning, before using the appliance.
NOTE: Clean the filter (15) every 3 months or after every 12 uses.
- Open the filter cover (16) and remove the filter (15).
- Clean the filter (15) in hot soapy water. Rinse and dry.
- Clean the inside of the filter cover (16) with damp soapy sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Insert the filter (15) and replace the filter cover (16).
CAUTION: Do not clean the filter (15) in a dishwasher.
- Before storage, always make sure the appliance is completely cool, clean and dry.
- It is recommended to store the appliance in a dry place.
- Store the appliance on a stable shelf or in a cupboard, preferably in its original packaging. To avoid accidents, ensure that both the appliance and its power cord are beyond reach of children or pets.
If additional assistance is needed, please contact our Customer Assistance at 1-855-451-2897 (US).
Rated voltage: 120V~ 60Hz
Rated current: 11.67A
Rated power input:1400W
Oil capacity: max. 2.5L