MONOPRICE Z-Wave Plus Smart In-Wall On/Off Switch User Manual
SAFETY WARNINGS AND GUIDELINES
Please read this entire manual before using this device, paying extra attention to these safety warnings and guidelines. Please keep this manual in a safe place for future reference.
- This device is intended for indoor use only.
- Do not expose this device to water or moisture of any kind.
- Do not touch the device with wet hands.
- Prior to physical installation, use your circuit breaker or fuse box to remove electric power from the room, then test the circuit to ensure that electric power is not present. Clean using a soft, dry cloth only.
- Do not use chemical cleaners, solvents, or detergents. For stubborn deposits, moisten the cloth with warm water.
- This device has no user serviceable parts. Do not attempt to open, service, or modify this device.
This Monoprice Z-Wave Plus® In-Wall On/Off Switch is a perfect replacement for a traditional wall switch, allowing for manual and remote control of incandescent, LED, and fluorescent lighting, as well as other electrical loads. It is fully compatible with other Z-Wave® wireless devices, allowing for programmable functions in custom scenes. It can be used with most Z-Wave compliant controllers. As part of any Z-Wave network, each device can be remotely controlled by commands sent from Z-Wave controllers in real time. Each AC powered device acts as wireless repeater, transmitting the RF signal from one to device to another, thereby extending the wireless range of the mesh network.
- Perfect replacement for a regular wall switch
- Compatible with 120 VAC, 15 amp electrical circuits
- Wireless Z-Wave® technology creates a mesh network for command and control interoperability with other Z-Wave compliant controllers and devices
- Manual and remote on/off control of any connected lighting or other electrical load
- Can be used for single pole or 3-way (multi-location) operation
- A blue LED illuminates when the load is off
Please take an inventory of the package contents to ensure you have all the items listed below. If anything is missing or damaged, please contact Monoprice Customer Service for a replacement.
- 1x Z-Wave Plus® Smart In-Wall On/Off Switch
- 1x Wall Plate with Mount and Screws
- 1x User’s Manual
WIRING DIAGRAMS Single Switch
WARNING!!! Prior to physical installation, use your circuit breaker or fuse box to remove electric power from the room, then test the circuit to ensure that electric power is not present.
- Remove the old switch and faceplate from the electric box, then disconnect the wire leads.
- Connect the wire leads to the smart switch, as shown in either the Single Switch or 3-Way Switch wiring diagrams in the WIRING DIAGRAMS section above.
- Check each wiring connection to ensure that it is secure and that there are no stray wire strands.
- Insert the switch into the electric box, then secure the switch to the box using two screws.
- Use the included screws to attach the faceplate to the switch.
- Restore power at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
The connected light/device can be turned on in two ways:
- Using a Z-Wave® controller or remote
- Manually using the paddle on the switch
Remote Operation Z-Wave remotes provide control of an individual device, groups of devices, and scenes. Some brands of Z-Wave certified remotes may not offer as much flexibility in how you can set up your lighting control network. Please refer to your controller’s instructions for details on its capabilities and instructions for adding and controlling devices.
- Momentarily press the top of the paddle to turn on the connected device.
- Momentarily press the bottom of the paddle to turn off the connected device.
- Press and hold the top or bottom of the paddle for 1.5 seconds to turn on the nodes of association group 3.
- Press and hold the top or bottom of the paddle for 1.5 seconds to turn off the nodes of association group 3.
- With the Z-Wave® controller in “adding” mode, press and hold the top or bottom of the paddle for 3 seconds. The controller will verify the add ition and will assign a node ID to the switch.
- With the Z-Wave controller in “removing” mode, press and hold the top or bottom of the paddle for 3 seconds. The controller will verify the removal, then will remove the switch from the network. When removed from the network, the LED will blink whenever the switch is turned on.
- If the primary controller is missing or inoperable, you can reset the switch to its factory default settings by pressing and holding the top or bottom paddle for 10 seconds.
Note: After a power failure, the switch will be turned off.
Configuration The following Advance d Operation parameters require that you have an advance d controller. Basic remotes do not have this capability.
|Parameter No.||Size||Description||Valid Value||Default Value|
|1||1 Byte||Synchronization of load power and LED indicator||0:Power on, Led off
1:Power on,Led on
|Grouping ID||Max number of Nodes||Description|
|1||1||Lifeline: Send device reset locally notification|
|2||5||Status Report: Send basic report|
|3||5||AssGroupSet: Send Basic set command|
ALL-ON AND ALL-OFF COMMANDS
Depending upon your primary controller, the Monoprice Z -Wave® Switch can be set to respond to All-On and All-Off commands in one of four different ways. Some controllers may not be able to change the response from its default setting. Please refer to your controller’s instructions for information on whether or not it supports the configuration function and if so, how to change the setting.
- It will respond to All-On and All-Off commands (default).
- It will not respond to All-On or All-Off commands.
- It will respond to All-Off commands, but will not respond All-On commands.
- It will respond to All-On commands, but will not respond All-Off commands.
This device complies with the Z -Wave® standard of open lin-e-of sight transmission distances of up to 131 feet. Actual performance in a home dep ends on the number of walls between the remote controller and the destination device, the type of construction, and the number of Z -Wave enabled devices installed in the contro l network. AC powered Z-Wave enabled devices act as a signal repeater and multiple devices result in more possible transmission routes , which helps eliminate RF “dead spots.” The wireless RF range is affected in the following ways:
- Each wall or obstacle (i.e.: refrigerator, big screen TV, etc.) between the remote or Z -Wave device and the destination device will reduce the maximum range by approximately 25 -30%.
- Brick, tile, or concrete walls block more of the RF signal than walls made of wooden studs and plasterboard (drywall).
- Wall mounted Z -Wave devices installed in metal junction boxes may suffer a significant loss of range (approximately 20%) , since the metal box blocks a larger part of the RF signal.
The following table shows some basic calculations for RF range.
|From the Remote (or repeating Z-Wave module) to destination device:|
|Type of Construction||Wood Frame with Drywall||Brick, Tile or Concrete|
|Number of Walls or Obstacles||0**||131’||105’||131’||100’|
Note: The distances shown in the table above are typical examples. Actual perf ormance in your home will vary.
Monoprice is pleased to pro vide free, live, online technical support to assist you with any questions you may have about installation, setup, troubleshooting, or product recommendations. If you ever need assistance with your new product, please come online to talk to one of our frie ndly and knowledgeable Tech Support Associates. Technical support is available through the online chat button on our website www.monoprice.com or through email by sending a message to [email protected]. Check the website for support times and links.
|Z-Wave® Frequency||908.42 MHz|
|Voltage||120 VAC, 60Hz|
|Operating Temperature||+32 ~ +104°F (0 ~ +40°C)|
|Wire Strip Length||5/8″ (16mm)|
|Supply Connection||14AWG wires, suitable for at least +167°F (+75°C)|
|Screw Torque||20 lbf-in|
|Range (between Wireless Controller and the closest Z-Wave receiver module)||
Up to 131 ft. line of sight
|Dimensions||4.1″ x 1.7″ x 1.8″
(104 x 43 x 46 mm)
|Weight||5.2 oz. (147g)|
Notice for FCC
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Modifying the equipment without Monoprice’s authorization may result in the equipment no longer complying with FCC requirements for Class B digital devices. In that event, your right to use the equipment may be limited by FCC regulations, and you may be required to correct any interference to radio or television communications at your own expense. This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment
off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
RF Exposure Statement for FCC Caution This equipment complies with radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment. End users must follow the specific operating instructions for satisfying RF exposure compliance. This transmitter must be at least 20 cm from the user and must not be collocated or operated in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
Notice for Industry Canada This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003. Cet appareil numérique de la classe B est conforme à la norme NMB-003 du Canada.
RF Exposure Statement for Industry Canada Caution This equipment complies with radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment. End users must follow the specific operating instructions for satisfying RF exposure compliance. This transmitter must be at least 20 cm from the user and must not be collocated or operated in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
Z-Wave® and Z-Wave Plus® are registered trademarks of Sigma Designs and its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.