2 YEAR WARRANTY
THE SKIN CHART
WARNING: i-LIGHT® is not suitable for very dark or black skin, white/ grey or very light blonde/red hair.
FOR FACIAL USE: Only suitable for female facial use below the cheekbone.
DO NOT use on or around the eyes, eyebrows or eyelashes. Doing so can cause serious and permanent eye injury.
The Compact Control IPL is a light-based device for permanent hair reduction designed for home use. It is a powerful electrical device and should be used with special attention to safety. Be sure to read all warnings, contraindications and safety precautions before use, and follow them strictly. We recommend you re-familiarise yourself with the instructions before each treatment.
The Remington Compact Control IPL is intended to remove unwanted hair and effect long-term, or permanent hair reduction. Permanent hair reduction is defined as a long-term stable reduction in the number of hairs regrowing after a treatment regime. You may use the Remington Compact Control IPL to remove unwanted body hair. Ideal body areas include the underarms, bikini line, arms, legs, face (female facial use only), back, shoulders and chest.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING – TO REDUCE THE RISK OF BURNS, ELECTROCUTION, FIRE, OR INJURY TO PERSONS:
- Use this appliance only for its intended use described in this manual.
- Do not use if it is damaged or malfunctions.
- Do not leave the appliance unattended while plugged in.
- Keep the power plug and cord away from heated surfaces.
- Do not use the product with a damaged cord.
- Store the product at a temperature between -40°C and 70°C. The operating temperature is between 10°C to 35°C.
- Only use the parts supplied with the appliance.
- Do not twist or kink the cable and do not wrap it around the appliance.
- The body of this appliance is not washable or water-resistant. Do not put the appliance in liquid; do not use it near water in a bathtub, basin or another vessel; and do not use it outdoors.
- Make sure the power cable and adaptor do not get wet. Do not reach for your unit if it has fallen into water – immediately unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Do not plug or unplug the appliance with wet hands.
- This appliance should not be used by anyone under the age of 18 and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge unless they have been supervised/instructed and understand the hazards involved. Children shall not play with the appliance. Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by persons under 18.
- This appliance is not intended for commercial or salon use.
- Possible hazardous optical radiation emitted from this product. Do not stare at the light source which may be harmful to the eye.
WARNINGS AND SAFETY INFORMATION
Before you start using i-LIGHT®:
Be sure to read all Warnings and Safety Information. Before you begin, check to see if i-LIGHT® is suitable for you.
Use the skin and hair chart at the front of this manual (page 2) and the integrated skin sensor to determine if this device is right for you.
- For Facial Use: Only suitable for female facial hair on the cheeks, sideburns, chin, neck and above the lips.
- DO NOT use on the eyes, eyebrows or eyelashes. Doing so can cause serious and permanent eye injury.
- DO NOT use on very dark or black skin, as it may result in burns, blisters and changes in skin colour.
- DO NOT use on tanned skin or after recent sun exposure, as it may cause burns or skin injury.
- i-LIGHT® is not effective on naturally white, grey, blonde or red hair.
AREAS NOT TO TREAT:
- DO NOT use it on the scalp or ears.
- DO NOT use on male face or neck.
- DO NOT use above the cheekbone (female facial use).
- DO NOT use on nipples, areola or genitals.
- DO NOT use if you have tattoos or permanent makeup in the area to be treated.
- DO NOT use on dark brown or black spots such as moles, birthmarks or freckles.
- DO NOT use on an area of recent surgery, deep peel, laser resurfacing, scars or skin that has been damaged with burns or scalds.
WHEN NOT TO USE/WHEN TO AVOID USING I-LIGHT®
- DO NOT use if you have tanned skin in the intended treatment area, as your skin may be too dark and treatment in tanned areas could temporarily cause skin swelling, blisters, or could change the colour of your skin. Wait until your tan has faded before treating.
- DO NOT use on skin with cosmetics applied, as treating in those areas could temporarily cause skin swelling, blisters or could change the colour of your skin. Make sure to thoroughly clean the intended treatment area prior to use.
- DO NOT flash the same treatment spot multiple times during the same session, as this could temporarily cause skin swelling, blisters, or could change the colour of your skin.
- DO NOT treat any area more than once every two weeks, as this will not speed up results, but could increase the likelihood of skin swelling, blistering or changes to the colour of your skin.
- DO NOT use on damaged skin, including open wounds, cold sores, sunburn or areas where you have had a skin peel or other skin resurfacing procedure within the last 6-8 weeks.
- DO NOT use on irritated skin, including rashes or swollen skin. These conditions can make the skin more sensitive. Wait for the affected area to heal before use.
- DO NOT use if your skin is sensitive to light. In order to determine if you can use i-LIGHT®, perform a test on a small patch of skin and wait 24 hours to determine if there are any adverse reactions before treating more broadly.
- DO NOT use if you are or may be pregnant or are breastfeeding. i-LIGHT® has not been tested on pregnant women. Hormonal changes are common during pregnancy and breastfeeding and could increase skin sensitivity and the risk of skin injury.
- DO NOT flash against any material other than skin.
- DO NOT use i-LIGHT® for any purpose other than hair removal.
- DO NOT treat any area where you may someday want your hair to grow back. The results may be permanent and irreversible.
- DO NOT use if taking a photosensitising medication or herbal remedy without seeking medical advice as the flash may harm the skin.
- DO NOT use on the face if you have a history of cold sores; use of IPL or any treatment that irritates skin can cause a recurrence of cold sores.
CAUTION: Avoid treating areas that contain only vellus hairs (very thin, fine hair known as “peach fuzz”) as this may result in undesired hair re-growth.
- If you’ve had professional or clinical or self-administered laser or IPL or electrolysis hair removal treatments, wait at least 6 months before using i-LIGHT®. If you’ve waxed, plucked or epilated hair in the treatment area, wait at least 6 weeks before using i-LIGHT®. The device uses the hair under your skin to disable your hair at the root, so it is not effective if the hair has been pulled out.
- DO NOT use directly over or near Active Implantable Medical Devices such as implantable pacemakers, internal defibrillators, or insulin devices. Although no problems associated with the use of this device have been reported during clinical studies, it is recommended to observe all active implantable medical device warnings regarding the use of electronic devices to prevent any failure or interruption of an active implantable device.
- DO NOT use over or near anything artificial such as silicone implants, Implanon contraceptive implants, pacemakers, injectable fillers (eg. Botox), subcutaneous injection ports (insulin dispenser) or piercings.
- DO NOT use over or near fillings or dental implants.
- Wireless communications equipment may affect the i-LIGHT® device and should be kept at least 3.3m away.
i-LIGHT® COMPACT CONTROL KEY FEATURES
1. Adapter Socket
2. Energy Level Indicator Lights (5)
3. Control Button
4. Ready Light
5. Treatment Window
6. Skin Tone Tester
7. Adapter (not shown)
Be patient when first using your i-LIGHT® Compact Control, as with any new product, it may take a little while to familiarise yourself with the product. Take the time to acquaint yourself with your i-LIGHT® Compact Control as we are confident you will receive years of enjoyable use and complete satisfaction.
GETTING ACQUAINTED WITH i-LIGHT® COMPACT CONTROL
The efficiency of hair reduction varies from person to person according to body area, hair colour, and how the device is used. A typical full hair growth cycle may take 18-24 months. During this time, multiple treatment sessions are required to achieve permanent hair reduction.
A typical hair reduction plan during a full hair growth cycle includes:
- Treatments 1-6: Plan two weeks apart.
- Treatments 7-8: Plan four weeks apart.
- Treatments 9+: Treat as needed, until desired results are achieved.
EXPECTED TREATMENT OUTCOMES
The individual response depends on hair type as well as biological factors that may affect hair growth patterns. Some users may respond quicker or slower than the average number of treatments.
|– I V
|Dark blonde to
|Session 10 –
12 approx. 4
|I – V
|Brown to black
|Session 8 – 10
- Skin types are based on the Fitzpatrick scale of skin colours. Refer to the skin colour chart at the front of this manual (Fig 1).
- Not effective on white body hair.
The energy level determines the intensity of the light pulse delivered to your skin. As the energy level increases, so do hair reduction results, as well as the risk of possible side effects and complications.
• The device has 5 levels of energy from 1 (the lowest) to 5 (the highest), represented by 5 energy level indicator lights.
• When the device is turned on, the energy level is set to level 1 automatically. Only one energy level indicator light will be on.
• To change the energy level, press the control button repeatedly to increase the energy level from 1 to 5. Once at level 5, press the control button again to reduce the energy level from 5 back to 1.
• To determine the right energy level for your treatment area, refer to section BEFORE YOUR FIRST TREATMENT (pg. 11).
PULSING AND GLIDING
Pulsing is the best technique for working at higher energy levels. Press the treatment window against your skin. Work in rows, either across or down. Start at one end of each row and progress to the other end. The treatment window creates temporary pressure marks on the treated area so you can see areas you have treated. After each pulse, move the treatment window to the next spot. Keep doing this pulsing action for the area you are treating. Avoid gaps or overlaps as you use the device. Gliding is the best technique for working at lower energy levels. Press the treatment window firmly against your skin and slowly glide over your skin, either across or down. Make sure that the treatment window is always touching your skin. At lower energy levels, the device takes only 1-1.5 seconds to recharge between pulses. This generates a nonstop sequence of flashes.
Glide at a speed so that you avoid gaps or overlaps.
• Do not treat the same area of skin more than once per hair reduction session.
• Stop use immediately if you have any discomfort.
THE SKIN TONE TESTER
Light-based hair reduction on darker skin tones may result in adverse effects such as burns, blisters and skin colour changes (hyper- or hypo-pigmentation). The built-in skin tone tester detects the colour of your skin automatically. The skin tone tester checks your skin colour at the start of, and occasionally during, each treatment.
If your skin tone is too dark for safe use, the device will not operate, and the skin tone tester light will blink.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING USE
For many people, using the device may be their first experience with a light-based device. During a treatment session, it is normal to experience or feel:
• Noise: This is the cooling fan.
• Popping sounds: These occur with each flash.
• A sensation of warmth and tingling: During each light pulse.
• Some redness: It is not uncommon to see some very mild, pink-like skin colouration during or just after treatment.
This is usually most noticeable around the hairs themselves.
• Stop use immediately if you see your skin is very red.
• Contact your physician immediately, if you experience any complications.
USING YOUR DEVICE
BEFORE YOUR FIRST TREATMENT
• Remove all jewellery before use.
You must decide which energy level is right for your skin and the area you want to treat. The device has 5 levels of energy from 1 (the lowest) to 5 (the highest). For example, you might treat one area at energy level 1, and another at level 4. For information on energy levels, refer to section ENERGY LEVELS. To choose the right energy level, test each treatment area separately (refer to the skin colour chart at the front of this manual).
- Press the control button to turn on the device. The level 1 energy level indicator light will come on.
- Place the treatment window on your skin to deliver one pulse. If you do not experience abnormal discomfort press the control button again. This will increase the energy level. Deliver one pulse on a different spot at energy level 2.
- Continue testing at increased energy levels. If you do not experience any adverse effects within 24 hours, you can start the full treatment at that energy level.
• Use a lower energy level if you experience any discomfort. Repeat this test for each part of the body you wish to treat.
YOU ARE NOW READY TO USE YOUR DEVICE
- Before treating an area, the skin should be shaved, clean, dry and free of any powders, antiperspirants, deodorants or moisturisers. Do not wax, pluck or tweeze the hair out.
- Press the control button. The device will turn on, the level 1 energy indicator light will be on, and a fan sound will start.
- Approximately 1 second after pressing the control button, the ready light will turn on. The device is then ready to use at the lowest energy level.
- Set the energy level by pressing the control button repeatedly to increase the energy level until you have the level you want. The energy level indicator lights indicate the chosen setting (refer to section ENERGY LEVELS).
- Decide if you wish to treat the area by Gliding or Pulsing (refer to section PULSING AND GLIDING).
- Apply the treatment window to the skin. Make sure that the skin is spread evenly and smoothly. When the treatment window is in full contact with the skin, the ready light will start blinking slowly.
- The device will first determine the colour of your skin automatically and it will flash a pulse of light onto your skin. You will feel a mild sensation of
warmth and tingling, and you may hear a popping sound.
• If you are pulsing, remove the device from your skin. The device will immediately recharge for the next pulse. After a few seconds (depending on the energy level) the ready light will turn on again, and start blinking slowly when pressed against the skin.
• If you are pulsing, repeat the process. If you are gliding, simply continue. Continue to pulse or glide until you have treated the area fully.
• Stop use immediately if your skin blisters or burns.
When you have finished your treatment session:
1. Turn the device off by giving the control button an extended press. Remember the last energy level setting you used because it will not be restored when you turn the device on again.
2. Remove the adapter from the electrical outlet.
CLEANING YOUR i-LIGHT® COMPACT CONTROL DEVICE
CAUTION: Before cleaning your i-LIGHT® Compact Control, make sure that the device is switched OFF and the power cord is disconnected from the device.
- Regular cleaning helps to ensure optimal results and long life.
- To clean the flash window, use a dry clean cloth. Take care not to scratch or chip the flash window. Scratches and chips can reduce the effectiveness of the unit.
- Use a small hand-held vacuum to remove dust and debris from the handpiece vents.
WARNING: If the flash window is cracked or broken, the unit must not be used. Never scratch the filter glass or the metallic surface inside the treatment head.
CAUTION: The i-LIGHT® is a high voltage device. Never immerse in water. Never clean the unit or any of its parts under a tap or in a dishwasher.
- Switch the unit off, unplug and allow to cool for 10 minutes before storage.
- Store the unit in a dry place at a temperature between -40°C and 70°C.
- Always read these instructions fully before using i-LIGHT® Compact Control.
- Refer to this troubleshooting guide if you experience any problems with i-LIGHT® Compact Control, as this section addresses the most common problems you could encounter. If you have followed the instructions in this section and continue to experience problems, please contact the Remington® Service Centre for further assistance.
My device does not start.
- Make sure the adapter is properly connected to the device and that it is plugged into an electrical outlet on the wall.
There is no light pulse when the device touches my skin.
- Check that the device is connected and the ready light is on. Make sure that the treatment window is evenly and firmly pressed to the skin and that you are moving the device across your skin. It is also possible that your skin colour is too dark.
The skin tone tester light and the ready light blink.
- The skin colour is too dark.
One or more lights blink.
- The device has malfunctioned.
The device has stopped working and is in standby mode.
- Press the control button again to start the device.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What areas of my body can I treat with i-LIGHT® Compact Control?
A. i-LIGHT® Compact Control is designed for unisex use on areas below the neck, including the legs, underarms, bikini line, arms, chest and back. Females can also use on facial hair below the cheekbone.
Q. What are the risks involved with i-LIGHT® Compact Control. Is it safe?
A. i-LIGHT® Compact Control is clinically proven to be safe and effective, but like any electronic device, it is important that you read the operating instructions and safety warnings.
Q. Is IPL dangerous for the skin after long term use?
A. There have not been any reported side effects or skin damage from long term use of intense pulse light (IPL).
Q. Why is my hair growing despite treatments?
A. Results aren’t immediate, and individual results vary. Most users will begin to notice fewer hairs within 1-2 weeks after beginning treatment. During this time it may look like the hair is still growing, but it is actually being ‘pushed out’. Hair grows in a cycle of 3 different phases which lasts 18-24 months. Only hairs in the active growth phase are susceptible to treatment, which is why multiple treatments are required for optimal results. Another reason for continued growth could be that the area was missed during treatment. Repeat the treatment regime when you notice regrowth.
Q. Why can’t I use i-LIGHT® Compact Control after recent sun exposure?
A. Sun exposure causes high levels of melanin to be present and exposes the skin to a higher risk of burns or blisters following treatment.
Q. Do I need eye protection while using i-LIGHT® Compact Control?
A. No, it is not harmful to the eyes. i-LIGHT® Compact Control features a safety system that prevents unintentional flashing when the device is not in contact with the skin. The small amount of light emitted during treatment is similar to that of a camera flash and is not harmful to the eyes.
The specially designed treatment caps minimise light leakage. If the reflected light is unpleasant, you may want to close your eyes before each flash.
In the event that you need to dispose of your i-LIGHT® device, to ensure proper disposal of the product, please take the appliance to a recycling centre, where the battery should be removed by a professional and recycled separately. For more information about recycling electrical and battery-operated appliances, please contact your local council office or your household waste disposal service.
SERVICE AND GUARANTEE
- Defects affecting product functionality appearing within the guarantee period will be corrected by replacement or repair at our discretion provided the product is used and maintained in accordance with the instructions.
- Defects from repair by an unauthorised dealer are not covered.
- Consumables are excluded.
- Your statutory rights are not affected.
- If you call the Service Centre, please have the Model No. on hand, as we won’t be able to help you without it. Model No. can be found on the rating plate of the appliance.
- Replacement accessories are available to buy through your Remington® Service Centre.
|Intense Pulsed Light
|0.9cm x 3cm (2.7cm²)
|Maximum Energy Level
Spectrum Brands Australia Pty Ltd and Spectrum Brands New Zealand Limited
WARRANTY AGAINST DEFECTS
In this warranty:
Australian Consumer Law means the Australian consumer law set out in Schedule 2 to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010;
CGA means the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act 1993;
Goods mean the product or equipment which was accompanied by this warranty and purchased in Australia or New Zealand, as the case may be; Manufacturer, We or us means:
1. for Goods purchased in Australia, Spectrum Brands Australia Pty Ltd ACN, 007 070 573; or
2. for Goods purchased in New Zealand, Spectrum Brands New Zealand Limited, as the case may be, contact details as set out at the end of this warranty; Supplier means the authorised distributor or retailer of the Goods that sold you the Goods in Australia or in New Zealand; and
You mean you, the original end-user purchaser of the Goods.
- Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law, or the CGA. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
- The benefits provided by this Warranty are in addition to all other rights and remedies in respect of the Goods which the consumer has under either the Australian Consumer Law or the CGA. The original purchaser of the Goods is provided with the following Warranty subject to the Warranty Conditions:
- We warrant the Goods for all parts defective in workmanship or materials for the period of two (2) years from the date of purchase (Warranty Period). If the Goods prove defective within the Warranty Period by reason of improper workmanship or material, we may, at our own discretion, repair or replace the Goods without charge.
- The Goods must be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. This Warranty does not apply should the defect in or failure of the Goods be attributable to misuse, abuse, accident or non-observance of manufacturer’s instructions on the part of the user. As far as the law permits, the manufacturer does not accept liability for any direct or consequential loss, damage or other expense caused by or arising out of any failure to use the Goods in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Exhaustible components (such as shaver heads, cutters and foils) of the Goods are included under this Warranty only where there is a defect in workmanship or materials used.
- The warranty granted under clause 3 is limited to repair or replacement only.
- Any parts of the Goods replaced during repairs or any product replaced remain the property of the manufacturer. In the event of the Goods being replaced during the Warranty Period, the warranty on the replacement Goods will expire on the same date as for the Warranty Period on the original Goods which are replaced.
- In order to claim under the warranty granted under clause 3 you must: (a) Retain this warranty with your receipt/proof of purchase; and (b) Return the Goods to us at the relevant address below or to the Supplier by prepaid freight within the Warranty Period accompanied with (i) the legible and unmodified original proof of purchase, which clearly indicates the name and address of the Supplier, the date and place of purchase, the product name or other product serial number and (ii) this warranty.
- This warranty is immediately void if: (a) Any serial number or appliance plate is removed or defaced; (b) The Goods have been serviced or otherwise repaired by a person not authorised to do so by us or where non approved replaced parts are used.
- The Goods are designed for domestic use only. A limited 90-day Warranty applies to any industrial or commercial use of the Goods. The Goods must be connected to the electrical voltage requirements as specified in the rating label located on the Goods.
- This warranty does not cover the cost of claiming under the warranty or transport of the Goods to and from the Supplier or us.
- This warranty is only valid and enforceable in Australia against Spectrum Brands Australia Pty Ltd and in New Zealand against Spectrum Brands New Zealand Limited.
Contact us or the Supplier for further details.
Spectrum Brands Australia Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 3004
Braeside, VIC 3195
Customer service in Australia: 1800 623 118
E-mail: [email protected]
Spectrum Brands New Zealand Limited
PO Box 9817
Newmarket, Auckland 1149
Customer service in New Zealand: 0800 736 776
E-mail: [email protected]
Australia/New Zealand Only
If within 90 days you are not fully satisfied with your Remington® i-LIGHT®
Compact Control, please call your local Remington Customer Service Centre:
Australia: 1800 623 118
New Zealand: 0800 736 776
REMINGTON SERVICE HOTLINE
Australia 1800 623 118 (toll-free)
New Zealand 0800 736 776 (toll-free)
AUTHORISED REPAIR CENTRES
Visit www.remington-products.com.au for authorised repair centre details.
Remington® and i-LIGHT® are registered trademarks of Spectrum Brands, Inc.,
or one of its subsidiaries.
Made in Israel to the specifications of Spectrum Brands, Inc.
© 2018 Spectrum Brands, Inc
Part No. T22-0005625