Enterprise Gateway Router with Gigabit Ethernet
QUICK START GUIDE
Thank you for purchasing the Ubiquiti Networks® UniFi® Security Gateway. This Quick Start Guide is designed to guide you through installation and also includes warranty terms.
UniFi Controller System Requirements
- Microsoft Windows 8, Mac OS X, or Linux
- Java Runtime Environment 1.6 (or above)
- Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
- UniFi Controller software v4.8 or higher (available at: downloads.ubnt.com/unifi)
A UniFi Cloud Key or management station running the UniFi Controller software, located either on-site and connected to the same Layer-2 network, or off-site in the cloud or NOC
Sample Network Diagram
All UniFi devices support off-site management controllers. For setup details, see the User Guide on our website at: documentation.ubnt.com/unifi
|Console||RJ45 serial console port for Command Line Interface (CLI) management. Use an RJ45-to- DB9, serial console cable, also known as a rollover cable, to connect the Console port to your computer. Then configure the following settings as needed:
• Baud rate 115200
|Reset||Resets to factory defaults. The UniFi Security
The gateway should be powered on. Press and hold the Reset button for about 10 seconds until the right LED on the VOIP port starts flashing and then becomes solidly lit. After a few seconds, the LED will turn off, and the UniFi Security Gateway will automatically reboot.
|WAN||Supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet connections. Default setting is DHCP client.|
|LAN||Supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet connections. Default setting is DHCP Server. Server IP: 192.168.1.1/24|
|VOIP||Disabled and reserved for future use.|
|White||Fully Booted; Not Adopted|
|Blue||Adopted and Provisioned|
|Status Indicator||Status||Alternating White/ Blue||Device Firmware upgrading|
|Blue Flashing||Device Locator Activated from UniFi Controller|
|Amber||Link Established at 10/100 Mbps|
|Ethernet||Speed/ Link/ Act||Amber Flashing||Link Activity at 10/100 Mbps|
|Green||Link Established at 1000 Mbps|
|Green Flashing||Link Activity at 1000 Mbps|
The UniFi Security Gateway can be used on a level, stable surface, or mounted to a wall with the included screws and anchors. If you are not going to mount the UniFi Security Gateway on a wall, then skip to the section, Connecting Power.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this product to rain or moisture.
WARNING: FAILURE TO PROVIDE PROPER VENTILATION MAY CAUSE A FIRE HAZARDS. KEEP AT LEAST 20 MM OF CLEARANCE NEXT TO THE VENTILATION HOLES FOR ADEQUATE AIRFLOW.
To mount the UniFi Security Gateway on a wall, you will need a drill, a 6 mm drill bit, and a Phillips screwdriver.
- Use a 6 mm drill bit to drill two holes 90 mm apart. Insert a Screw Anchor into each hole.
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to secure a Screw into each anchor. Leave a clearance of approximately 3 mm between the screw head and the wall.
- Position the UniFi Security Gateway over the Screws, and insert the Screws into the wall-mount slots located on the bottom of the UniFi Security Gateway. Then slide the UniFi Security Gateway down to lock it into place.
- Connect the Power Adapter to the power port.
- Connect the Power Cord to the Power Adapter. Connect the other end of the Power Cord to a grounded power source.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from a broadband modem or WAN to the WAN port.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from a network switch to the LAN port.Note: The LAN port is set to DHCP Server by default.
Download and install the latest version of the UniFi Controller software at: downloads.ubnt.com/unifi From a management station connected to the same Layer-2 network, launch the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
Note: If you already have UniFi Controller v4.x or higher installed, go to the section, Adopting the UniFi Security Gateway.
- The Ubiquiti UniFi Controller window will appear. Click Launch a Browser to Manage the Network.
- Select your country and time zone. Alternatively, you can click restore from a previous backup to use a file that contains your backup settings. Click Next.
- The UniFi Controller will discover the UniFi Security Gateway with the default IP Address,192.168.1.1. Select the device, and click Next.
- Create an SSID (wireless network name) and Security Key. Click Next. If you do not have any UniFi APs on the network, click Skip.
- Create an Admin Name and Password for super admin access to the UniFi Controller. Confirm the Password, and click Next.
- Review the UniFi Controller settings. Click Finish to complete the UniFi Setup Wizard.
- The login screen for the UniFi Controller will appear. Enter the Admin Name and Password that you created in the UniFi Setup Wizard. Click Login.
The UniFi Controller dashboard window will appear.
Adopting the UniFi Security Gateway
- From the UniFi Controller dashboard, click Devices in the left menu bar.
- In the Devices window, locate UniFi Gateway in the list of devices under the Model column. To adopt and provision the gateway, click Adopt.
- The Status Indicator on the UniFi Security Gateway will turn blue to confirm that it is successfully adopted.
Optional WAN Port Configuration via Layer 3
By default, the WAN port is set to DHCP so it can be assigned network settings by the service provider. To change the setting, connect a computer directly (or through a switch) to the LAN port of the UniFi Security Gateway.
- From a web browser, go to https://setup.ubnt.com/
- The UniFi Gateway login window will appear. Enter your Username and Password. Click Sign In.Note: If the UniFi Security Gateway has not been adopted by an UniFi Controller, the login window will be skipped and the Setup window will appear.
- In the Setup window, click Edit Configuration to configure the WAN port to DHCP, Static IP, or PPPoE.
For information on using the UniFi Controller software, refer to the User Guide located on our website at:
|UniFi Security Gateway|
|Dimensions||135 x 135 x 28.3 mm (5.32 x 5.32 x 1.11″)|
|Weight||366 g (12.9 oz)|
|Networking Interfaces Serial Console Port Data Ports||(1) RJ45 Serial Port (3) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports*|
|Max. Power Consumption||7W|
|Power Supply||12VDC, 1A Power Adapter (Included)|
|Supported Voltage Range||9 to 24VDC|
|LEDs System Serial Console Port Data Ports||Status Power Speed/Link/Activity|
|Layer 3 Forwarding Performance Packet Size: 64 Bytes Packet Size: 512 Bytes or Larger||1,000,000 pps 3 Gbps (Line Rate)|
|Processor||Dual-Core 500 MHz, MIPS64 with Hardware Acceleration for Packet Processing|
|System Memory||512 MB DDR2 RAM|
|On-Board Flash Storage||2 GB|
|Operating Temperature||-10 to 45° C (14 to 113° F)|
|Operating Humidity||10 to 90% Noncondensing|
|Certifications||CE, FCC, IC|
* VoIP port is disabled and reserved for future use.
- Read, follow, and keep these instructions.
- Heed all warnings.
- Only use attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
WARNING: Failure to provide proper ventilation may cause fire hazards. Keep at least 20 mm of clearance next to the ventilation holes for adequate airflow.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this product to rain or moisture.
WARNING: Do not use this product in a location that can be submerged by water.
WARNING: Avoid using this product during an electrical storm. There may be a remote risk of electric shock from lightning.
Electrical Safety Information
- Compliance is required with respect to voltage, frequency, and current requirements indicated on the manufacturer’s label. Connection to a different power source than those specified may result in improper operation, damage to the equipment or pose a fire hazard if the limitations are not followed.
- There are no operator serviceable parts inside this equipment. Service should be provided only by a qualified service technician. 3. This equipment is provided with a detachable power cord which has an integral safety ground wire intended for connection to a grounded safety outlet.
a. Do not substitute the power cord with one that is not the provided approved type. Never use an adapter plug to connect to a 2-wire outlet as this will defeat the continuity of the grounding wire.
b. The equipment requires the use of the ground wire as a part of the safety certification, modification or misuse can provide a shock hazard that can result in serious injury or death.
c. Contact a qualified electrician or the manufacturer if there are questions about the installation prior to connecting the equipment.
d. Protective earthing is provided by a Listed AC adapter. Building installation shall provide appropriate short-circuit backup protection.
e. Protective bonding must be installed in accordance with local national wiring rules and regulations.
UBIQUITI NETWORKS, Inc (“UBIQUITI NETWORKS”) warrants that the product(s) furnished hereunder (the “Product(s)”) shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of shipment by UBIQUITI NETWORKS under normal use and operation. UBIQUITI NETWORKS’ sole and exclusive obligation and liability under the foregoing warranty shall be for UBIQUITI NETWORKS, at its discretion, to repair or replace any Product that fails to conform to the above warranty during the above warranty period. The expense of removal and reinstallation of any Product is not included in this warranty. The warranty period of any repaired or replaced Product shall not extend beyond its original term.
The above warranty does not apply if the Product:
(I) has been modified and/or altered, or an addition made thereto, except by Ubiquiti Networks, or Ubiquiti Networks’ authorized representatives, or as approved by Ubiquiti Networks in writing;
(II) has been painted, rebranded or physically modified in any way;
(III) has been damaged due to errors or defects in cabling;
(IV) has been subjected to misuse, abuse, negligence, abnormal physical, electromagnetic or electrical stress, including lightning strikes, or accident;
(V) has been damaged or impaired as a result of using the third party firmware;
(VI) has no original Ubiquiti MAC label, or is missing any other original Ubiquiti label(s); or
(VII) has not been received by Ubiquiti within 30 days of issuance of the RMA.
In addition, the above warranty shall apply only if: the product has been properly installed and used at all times in accordance, and in all material respects, with the applicable Product documentation; all Ethernet cabling runs use CAT5 (or above), and for outdoor installations, shielded Ethernet cabling is used, and for indoor installations, indoor cabling requirements are followed.
No Products will be accepted for replacement or repair without obtaining a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number from UBIQUITI NETWORKS during the warranty period, and the Products being received at UBIQUITI NETWORKS’ facility freight prepaid in accordance with the RMA process of UBIQUITI NETWORKS. Products returned without an RMA number will not be processed and will be returned freight-collect or subject to disposal. Information on the RMA process and obtaining an RMA number can be found at: www.ubnt.com/support/warranty.
EXCEPT FOR ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES PROVIDED HEREIN, UBIQUITI NETWORKS, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS AND THEIR THIRD PARTY DATA, SERVICE, SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE PROVIDERS HEREBY DISCLAIM AND MAKE NO OTHER REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, REPRESENTATIONS, GUARANTEES, OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, ACCURACY, QUALITY OF SERVICE OR RESULTS, AVAILABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, LACK OF VIRUSES, QUIET ENJOYMENT, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON- INFRINGEMENT AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING FROM ANY COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH PRODUCTS AND SERVICES. BUYER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT NEITHER UBIQUITI NETWORKS NOR ITS THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS CONTROL BUYER’S EQUIPMENT OR THE TRANSFER OF DATA OVER COMMUNICATIONS FACILITIES, INCLUDING THE INTERNET, AND THAT THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES MAY BE SUBJECT TO LIMITATIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS, AND OTHER PROBLEMS INHERENT IN THE USE OF COMMUNICATIONS FACILITIES. UBIQUITI NETWORKS, ITS AFFILIATES, AND IT’S AND THEIR THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INTERRUPTIONS, DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS, DELIVERY FAILURES, DATA LOSS, CONTENT CORRUPTION, PACKET LOSS, OR OTHER AMAGE RESULTING FROM ANY OF THE FOREGOING. In addition, UBIQUITI NETWORKS does not warrant that the operation of the Products will be error-free or that operation will be uninterrupted. In no event shall UBIQUITI NETWORKS be responsible for damages or claims of any nature or description relating to system performance, including coverage, buyer’s selection of products (including the Products) for buyer’s application, and/or failure of products (including the Products) to meet government or regulatory requirements.
Limitation of Liability
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LOCAL LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL UBIQUITI OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOST PROFIT, LOST DATA, OR DOWNTIME COSTS), ARISING OUT OF THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT, WHETHER BASED IN WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Some countries, states and provinces do not allow exclusions of implied warranties or conditions, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. You may have other rights that vary from country to country, state to state, or province to province. Some countries, states and provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LOCAL LAW, THESE WARRANTY TERMS DO NOT EXCLUDE, RESTRICT OR MODIFY, AND ARE IN ADDITION TO, THE MANDATORY STATUTORY RIGHTS APPLICABLE TO THE LICENSE OF ANY SOFTWARE (EMBEDDED IN THE PRODUCT) TO YOU. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods shall not apply to any transactions regarding the sale of the Products.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- This device may not cause harmful interference, and
- This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operations of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his own expense.
This Class A digital apparatus complies with Canadian CAN ICES-3(A).
Cet appareil numérique de la classe A est conforme à la norme NMB-3(A) Canada.
Australia and New Zealand
Warning: This is a Class A product. In a domestic environment, this product may cause radio interference in which case the user may be required to take adequate measures.
CE marking on this product represents the product is in compliance with all directives that are applicable to it.
RoHS/WEEE Compliance StatementEuropean Directive 2012/19/EU requires that the equipment bearing this symbol on the product and/or its packaging must not be disposed of with unsorted municipal waste. The symbol indicates that this product should be disposed of separately from regular household waste streams. It is your responsibility to dispose of this and other electric and electronic equipment via designated collection facilities appointed by the government or local authorities. Correct disposal and recycling will help prevent potential negative consequences to the environment and human health. For more detailed information about the disposal of your old equipment, please contact your local authorities, waste disposal service, or the shop where you purchased the product.
©2014-2016 Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Ubiquiti, Ubiquiti Networks, the Ubiquiti U logo, the Ubiquiti beam logo, and UniFi are trademarks or registered trademarks of Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.