Bissell 16W5 Series Readyclean Powerbrush Plus User Guide
Thanks for buying a BISSELL Deep Cleaner
We’re glad you purchased a BISSELL Deep Cleaner. Everything we know about floor care went into the design and construction of this complete, high-tech home cleaning system.
Your BISSELL Deep Cleaner is well made, and we back it with a limited one year warranty. We also stand behind it with a knowledgeable, dedicated Consumer Care department, so, should you ever have a problem, you’ll receive fast, considerate assistance.
My great-grandfather invented the floor sweeper in 1876. Today, BISSELL is a global leader in the design, manufacture, and service of high quality homecare products like your Deep Cleaner.
Thanks again, from all of us at BISSELL.
Mark J. Bissell
Chairman & CEO
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
When using an electrical appliance, basic precautions should be observed, including the following:
Read all instructions before using your deep cleaner
To reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, or injury:
- do not immerse.
- use only on surfaces moistened by cleaning process.
- always connect to a properly grounded outlet. see grounding instructions.
- unplug from outlet when not in use and before conducting maintenance or troubleshooting.
- do not leave machine when it is plugged in.
- do not service machine when it is plugged in.
- do not use with damaged cord or plug.
- if appliance is not working as it should, has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors, or dropped into water, have it repaired at an authorized service center.
- use indoors only.
- do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close door on cord, pull cord around sharp corners or edges, run appliance over cord, or expose cord to heated surfaces.
- do not carry the appliance while in use.
- do not unplug by pulling on cord. unplug by grasping the plug, not the cord.
- do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
- do not put any object into appliance openings, use with blocked opening, or restrict air flow.
- do not expose hair, loose clothing, fingers or body parts to openings or moving parts.
- do not pick up hot or burning objects.
- do not pick up flammable or combustible materials (lighter fluid, gasoline, kerosene, etc.) or use in the presence of explosive liquids or vapor.
- do not use appliance in an enclosed space filled with vapors given off by oil base paint, paint thinner, some moth proofing substances, flammable dust, or other explosive or toxic vapors.
- do not pick up toxic material (chlorine bleach, ammonia, drain cleaner, gasoline, etc.).
- do not modify the 3-prong grounded plug.
- do not allow to be used as a toy.
- do not use for any purpose other than described in this user’s guide.
- use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
- use only cleaning products formulated by Bissell for use in this appliance to prevent internal component damage. see the cleaning fluid section of this guide.
- Keep openings free of dust, lint, hair, etc.
- close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
- Keep appliance on a level surface.
- turn off all controls before unplugging.
- be extra careful when cleaning stairs.
- unplug before attaching the turbobrush ®
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
This model is for household use only. commercial use of this unit voids the manufacturer’s warranty.
This appliance must be connected to a grounded wiring system. if it should malfunction or break down, grounding provides a safe path of least resistance for electrical current, reducing the risk of electrical shock. the cord for this appliance has an equipment-grounding conductor and a grounding plug. it must only be plugged into an outlet that is properly installed and grounded in accordance with all local codes and ordinances.
Improper connection of the equipment-grounding conductor can result in a risk of electrical shock. Check with a qualified electrician or service person if you aren’t sure if the outlet is properly grounded. Do not modify the Plug. if it will not fit the outlet, have a proper outlet installed by a qualified electrician. this appliance is designed for use on a nominal 120-volt circuit, and has a grounding attachment plug that looks like the plug in the drawing above. make certain that the appliance is connected to an outlet having the same configuration as the plug. no plug adapter should be used with this appliance.
To reduce the risk of fire and electric shock due to internal component damage, use only Bissell cleaning fluids intended for use with the deep cleaner.
Keep plenty of genuine Bissell 2X formula on hand so you can clean and protect whenever it fits your schedule. always use genuine Bissell deep cleaning formulas. non-Bissell cleaning solutions may harm the machine and will void the warranty.
Your Ready Clean Powerbrush Plus assembles quickly and easily. The only tool you will need for assembly is a Phillips head screwdriver.
- locate the screw pack, which is taped to the upper handle.
- slide the upper body onto the lower body, taking care not to leave a gap between the upper and lower body.
- firmly holding the upper body, screw the 2 screws into the holes marked with arrows.
TIP: if you are having difficulty tightening the screws, remove, re-insert, and tighten again.
- slide the hose wrap onto the upper handle as pictured and push up until it snaps into place.
- slide the upper handle into the upper body until it will not go any farther and secure it with a screw at the marked screw hole above the water tank.
- after tightening the screws, ensure proper fit between the upper and lower body by trying to separate the two. if assembled properly, there should be no gap. if a gap appears between the two (see picture at right), continue to tighten the screws until no gap is present.
- Place solution tank on back of unit.
- Wrap power cord and flex hose.
- Keep flex hose snugly in place by using the hose secure latch.
- attach tool to end of hose.
Assembly is now complete.
To reduce the risk of fire, use only Bissell advanced deep cleaning formula for full size machines in your deep cleaner. Use of cleaning formulas that contain lemon or pine oil may damage this appliance and void the warranty. chemical spot cleaners or solvent-based soil removers should not be used. These products may react with the plastic materials used in your deep cleaner causing cracking or pitting.
Before you clean
- move furniture to another area if cleaning an entire room. (optional)
- Vacuum carpet thoroughly.
- Plan your cleaning route to leave an exit path. it is best to begin cleaning in the corner farthest from your exit.
- Pre-Treating (optional) Pre-treat stubborn stains and highly soiled carpet in hallways and other high-traffic areas.
- 4a. generously spray Bissell tough stain Precleaner evenly over soiled area.
Caution: DO NOT OVER WET CARPET
- 4b. Wait 3-5 minutes before deep cleaning.
- 4a. generously spray Bissell tough stain Precleaner evenly over soiled area.
Fill the tank
- Remove the solution tank by lifting it straight up, then away from the lower body.
- Unscrew the black cap at the bottom of the solution tank.
- Fill with hot (not boiling) tap water to the Water line. fill the rest of the tank with Bissell 2X formula to the formula line. Replace and tighten the black cap.
- Place solution tank on lower body.
Tip: to ensure proper function, make sure the tank is completely seated. failure to do so can result in reduced or no spray.
- set Readytools dial to “floor cleaning”.
- Plug into proper outlet.
- turn the power switch to the on (i) position (located on the back of unit)
- With foot, press the recline lever (located on the back of unit).
- cleaning strokes. While pressing the trigger, make one slow forward wet pass and another one back.
Caution: DO NOT OVERWET.
- Release the trigger and make one slow forward and backward pass over the same area.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until solution being pulled up appears clean.
- empty the collection tank when dirty water reaches the full line, or when the solution tank is empty.
Empty the collection tank
- turn power switch off (o) and unplug power cord from outlet.
- Remove the collection tank from base of unit.
- 2a. Release collection tank latches (on each side) by pulling up from the bottom of latch and then out.
- 2b. carefully remove the top of the tank by lifting up on the tank handle.
- carry collection tank to a toilet or sink. to empty, pour out contents using opening at back of tank.
- Rinse collection tank thoroughly and replace on unit.
- Refill solution tank and continue cleaning.
Cleaning with Attachments
Your Deep Cleaner is equipped with a hose and at least one attachment for cleaning stairs, upholstery, and more.
- important! if using to clean upholstery, check upholstery tags.
- 1a. check manufacturer’s tag before cleaning. “W” or “Ws” on the tag means you can use your deep cleaner. if the tag is coded with an “X” or an “s” (with a diagonal stripe through it), or says “dry clean only”, do not proceed with any deep cleaning machine. do not use on velvet or silk. if manufacturer’s tag is missing or not coded, check with your furniture dealer.
- 1b. check for colorfastness in an inconspicuous place.
- 1c. if possible, check upholstery stuffing. colored stuffing may bleed through fabric when wet.
- 1d. Plan activities to allow upholstery time to dry.
- 1e. Vacuum area thoroughly.
- follow the instructions on page 6 for filling the tank.
- set the Readytools dial to the “tools” setting.
- attach the cleaning tool to the end of the hose.
- Plug in and turn the power switch to the on (i) position.
- clean by pressing the trigger to spray solution onto the area to be cleaned. slowly move the tool back and forth over the soiled surface. Release the trigger to suction dirty water. continue to clean in the area, working in small sections, until dirt is removed.
Caution: Do Not Overwet.
- When finished cleaning, remove and rinse tool(s) in clean, running water.
- it is recommended that you suction clean water from a bowl to rinse out the hose.
- lift end of hose and stretch out to ensure all water is cleared from hose.
- Wrap flex hose around hose wrap.
- empty collection tank and rinse out, following instructions on page 10 under “cleaning after use.”
- Return Readytools dial to “floor cleaning” setting.
Deep reach tool attachment
(select models only)
- follow the instructions on page 6 for filling the tank.
- follow instructions 1-5 on page 8 under “cleaning with attachments”.
- set tool on stain and press the trigger to spray solution onto the area to be cleaned.
- slowly move the tool back and forth over the soiled surface, keeping the tool in contact with the carpet.
- Release trigger and move tool slowly over the soiled area to suction up water and dirt.
- continue to clean the area, working in small sections, until no more dirt can be removed.
- Remove tool from hose when finished. Clean under warm water before storing
- Follow cleaning attachment instructions on pages 8 and 9, instructions 8-12.
Hard floor cleaning
(select models only)
- Remove the collection tank (refer to steps 2a and 2b on page 7).
- attach the hard floor tool by hooking it into the front of the removable nozzle and rotate until it snaps firmly in place.
- Replace the collection tank. be sure to attach the two latches.
- fill the solution tank with hot (not boiling) tap water to the Water fill line. fill the rest with Bissell 2X hard floor solutions™ to formula fill line.
- follow steps 1-8 under “carpet cleaning” on page 6 and 7 to continue cleaning.
To reduce the risk of fire and electric shock- when cleaning a hard floor, the Bissell hard floor tool (203-5683) must be used and it must only be used with Bissell 2X hard floor solutions cleaning fluid intended for use with this appliance.
Cleaning after use
- unplug the unit.
- Rinse collection tank thoroughly.
- 2a. Remove Readytools dial by rotating it halfway between “tools” & “floor cleaning.”
- 2b. Pop out knob by using the opening on the back of the tank. Rinse and replace knob and collection tank.
- Remove tank vent & foam filter (located on top of the collection tank) and rinse.
- clean nozzle window by lifting latch and removing from machine. Rinse under running water.
- When finished replace nozzle and secure with latch.
NOTE: For best results, it is recommended that the nozzle is cleaned after each use.
- Remove lint and hair from red gasket in base of unit. (do not remove gasket)
- Replace the collection tank to the base of the machine and secure with latches.
Maintenance and care
For best results, a few simple steps can assure your machine is well maintained after your cleaning is complete.
- Wrap power cord around Quick Release cord Wrap™ on side of the machine.
- Wipe all surfaces with a soft cloth. store cleaner upright in a protected, dry area.
NOTE: You may have cleaning solution remaining in the solution tank. You may store your machine this way for the next cleaning task, but never keep dirty water in the collection tank.
To reduce the risk of injury from moving parts and/or electrical shock, turn power switch OFF and disconnect plug from electrical outlet before performing maintenance or troubleshooting checks.
Do not store unit where freezing may occur. Damage to internal components may result.
Install the replacement brush belt
- turn the machine off and unplug from wall outlet.
- Remove solution and collection tanks.
- lie machine down to access the bottom of the machine.
- With a Phillips head screwdriver, unscrew the belt cover and remove.
- Remove the brush end cap and remove belt from brush.
- brush can now be removed.
- belt can be removed by sliding off the motor pulley.
- clean or replace belt. attach belt to motor pulley and brush, insert brush into right side end cap.
- Reattach the left end cap and slide brush back into place.
- Replace the belt cover and screw into place.
- manually rotate brush to make sure it rotates freely and that the belt is aligned properly.
Other maintenance or service not included in the manual should be performed by an authorized service representative.
Thank you for selecting a BISSELL product.
Please do not return this product to the store.
For any questions or concerns, BISSELL is happy to be of service. Contact us directly at 1-800-237-7691.
Replacement parts – BISSELL ReadyClean
Below please find a list of common replacement parts. While not all of these parts may have come with your specific machine, all are available to you for purchase, if desired.
Accessories – BISSELL ReadyClean
Below, please find a list of accessories. While not all of these parts may have come with your specific machine, all are available to you for purchase if desired.
Warranty – BISSELL ReadyClean
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which may vary from state to state. If you need additional instruction regarding this warranty or have questions regarding what it may cover, please contact BISSELL Consumer Care by E-mail, telephone, or regular mail as described below.
Limited One Year Warranty
Subject to the *exceptions and exclusions identified below, upon receipt of the product Bissell will repair or replace (with new or remanufactured components or products), at Bissell’s option, free of charge from the date of purchase by the original purchaser, for one year any defective or malfunctioning part.
See information below on “If your BISSELL product should require service”.
This warranty applies to product used for personal, and not commercial or rental service. This warranty does not apply to fans or routine maintenance components such as filters, belts, or brushes. Damage or malfunction caused by negligence, abuse, neglect, unauthorized repair, or any other use not in accordance with the User’s Guide is not covered.
If your BISSELL product should require service:
Contact Bissell consumer care to locate a Bissell authorized service center in your area. If you need information about repairs or replacement parts, or if you have questions about your warranty, contact Bissell consumer care.
Website or E-mail:
Bissell consumer care
monday – friday 8 am – 10 pm et
saturday 9 am – 8 pm et
Bissell homecare, inc.
Po box 3606
grand Rapids, mi 49501
Attn: consumer care
BISSELL IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT. BISSELL’S LIABILITY WILL NOT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
*EXCEPTIONS AND EXCLUSIONS FROM THE TERMS OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY
THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ANY OTHER WARRANTIES EITHER ORAL OR WRITTEN. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHICH MAY ARISE BY OPERATION OF LAW, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO THE 90 DAYS DURATION FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty last so the above limitation may not apply to you.
Don’t forget to register your product!
Registering is quick, easy and offers you benefits over the lifetime of your product.
BISSELL Rewards Points
Automatically earn points for discounts and free shipping on future purchases.
Supplying your information now saves you time should you need to contact us with questions regarding your product.
Product Support Reminders and Alerts
We’ll contact you with any important product maintenance reminders and alerts.
Optional: Register your email to receive notice of offers, contests, cleaning tips and more!
Visit www.BISSELL.com/registration now!
For information about repairs or replacement parts, or questions about your warranty:
BISSELL Consumer Care 1-800-237-7691
Monday – Friday 8 am – 10 pm ET
Saturday 9 am – 8 pm ET
Sunday 10am – 7pm ET
BISSELL Homecare, Inc. PO Box 3606
Grand Rapids MI 49501
ATTN: Consumer Care
Visit the BISSELL website: www.BISSELL.com
When contacting BISSELL, have model number of cleaner available.
Please record your Model Number:__________________
Please record your Purchase Date:___________________
NOTE: Please keep your original sales receipt. It provides proof of purchase date in the event of a warranty claim. See Warranty on page 15 for details.
©2014 BISSELL Homecare, Inc Grand Rapids, Michigan
All rights reserved. Printed in Mexico Part Number 160-3670 Rev 02/14
Visit our website at: www.BISSELL.com