Bissell 1716 Series Spot Lifter POWERBRUSH Handheld Deep Cleaner User’s Guide
Thank you for buying a BISSELL Spot Lifter® Powerbrush
We’re glad you purchased a BISSELL Spot Lifter PowerBrush. Everything we know about floor care went into the design and construction of this complete, high-tech home cleaning system. Your BISSELL Spot Lifter PowerBrush is well made, and we back it with a limited one year warranty. We also stand behind it with a knowledgeable, dedicated Consumer Services department, so, should you ever have a problem, you’ll receive fast, considerate assistance. My great-grandfather invented the floor sweeper in 1876. Today, BISSELL is a global leader in the design, manufacture, and service of high quality homecare products like your BISSELL Spot Lifter PowerBrush .
Thanks again, from all of us at BISSELL.
Mark J. Bissell
President and Chief Executive Officer3
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
When using an electrical appliance, basic precautions should be observed, including the following:
Read all instructions before using your Spot Lifter® Powerbrush
WARNING – To reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, or injury:
- Do not use for any purpose other than described in this User’s Guide.
- Use only BISSELL cleaning products intended for use in this appliance.
- Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
- Do not expose to rain, store indoors.
- Do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
- Do not leave Spot Lifter® PowerBrush when it is plugged in.
- Do not put any object into appliance openings or use with blocked openings. Keep free of dust, lint, hair, and anything that may reduce air flow.
- Do not expose hair, loose clothing, fingers or body parts to openings or moving parts.
- Be extra careful when cleaning stairs.
- Do not allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
- Do not pick up hot or burning objects.
- Do not pick up flammable or combustible materials (lighter fluid, gasoline, kerosene, etc.) or use in the presence of explosive liquids or vapor.
- Do not pick up toxic material (chlorine bleach, ammonia, drain cleaner, gasoline, etc.).
- Do not use appliance in an enclosed space filled with vapors given off by oil base paint, paint thinner, some moth proofing substances, flammable dust, or other explosive or toxic vapors.
- Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close door on cord, pull cord around sharp corners or edges, run appliance over cord, or expose cord to heated surfaces.
- Do not use with damaged cord or plug.
- Do not immerse. Use only on surface moistened by cleaning process.
- Do not use Spot Lifter® PowerBrush if it has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors or dropped into water. Have it repaired at an Authorized Service Center.
- Turn off all controls before unplugging.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use and before conducting maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Unplug by grasping the plug, not the cord. Do not unplug by pulling on cord.
- Always connect to a properly grounded outlet; see grounding instructions.
- Do not modify the 3-prong grounded plug.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS GROUNDING INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance must be connected to a grounded wiring system. If it should malfunction or break down, grounding provides a safe path of least resistance for electrical current, reducing the risk of electrical shock. The cord for this appliance has an equipment-grounding conductor and a grounding plug. It must only be plugged into an outlet that is properly installed and grounded in accordance with all local codes and ordinances.
WARNING: Improper connection of the equipment-grounding conductor can result in a risk of electrical shock. Check with a qualified electrician or service person if you aren’t sure if the outlet is properly grounded. DO NOT MODIFY THE PLUG. If it will not fit the outlet, have a proper outlet installed by a qualified electrician. This appliance is designed for use on a nominal 120-volt circuit, and has a grounding attachment plug that looks like the plug in the drawing above. Make certain that the appliance is connected to an outlet having the same configuration as the plug. No plug adapter should be used with this appliance.
This model is for household use only.
CAUTION: Only use one of BISSELL’s advanced formulas for portable deep cleaning machines in your cleaner. Use of cleaning formulas which contain lemon or pine oil may damage this appliance and void warranty. Do not use chemical spot cleaners or solvent-based soil removers. These products may react with the plastic materials used in your cleaner, causing cracking or pitting.
Solution tank: Holds 2X Little Green® formula and water.
Collection tank: Collects dirty water and solution. You will need to remove the solution tank before you can remove the collection tank.
Spray trigger: Dispenses water and solution.
Solution tank release tabs: Gently press in to remove the clean/solution Tank.
Circuit Interrupting Device (C.I.D.): Because you will be using this product in wet environments, such as bathrooms, we have equipped this unit with this added safety feature. The C.I.D. shuts off the product in potentially hazardous situations The C.I.D. has test (white) and reset (red) buttons which should be operated each time the product is plugged in.
Removable brush cartridge with dual PowerBrushes: Double the cleaning action to lift and remove stains and dirt. Removable for easy cleaning.
WARNING: Do not use an extension cord with this product. The use of an extension cord may result in a severe electrical shock, particularly if the extension cord does not have an electrical rating higher than that of the product, OR if the extension cord does not have a three-prong grounding plug and if the extension cord is not plugged into a circuit box with a ground fault circuit interrupter. Safety precautions such as keeping all connections off the ground and dry will not eliminate the danger.
Filling the solution tank
- Remove the solution tank by gently pressing the quick release tabs on the solution tank and sliding the tank off of the unit.
- Open the tank by unscrewing and removing the cap. Add water and formula* to the indicated fill lines on the solution tank.
NOTE: Your Spot Lifter PowerBrush includes an 8 oz. trial size formula.
- Replace the cap before placing the tank back on the unit.
To aid in the removal of tough, stubborn stains, pre-treating the stain may be necessary.
- Hold the unit above the area to be cleaned. Using the manual trigger spray, apply a sufficient amount of water and solution to the stain.
- Wait 3-5 minutes before cleaning.
- Plug in the unit.
- While holding the Spot Lifter PowerBrush above the area to be cleaned, apply water and formula by pressing the manual trigger spray, dispensing fluid to the soiled/stained area.
- Turn the power switch to the “ON” position. ( I )
- Brushing and suction can be done separately, based on how you hold and use the unit.
To Use The Dual PowerBrushes Only: Tilt the unit forward slightly, placing both brushes in contact with the carpet. The flat surface of the brush cartridge should be parallel to the surface being cleaned.
For Suction Only: Tilt the unit forward, pressing the front of the Spot Lifter Powerbrush firmly against the surface area to be cleaned, lifting the brushes up off the surface. Pull toward you to remove the soil and cleaning solution.
Note: Step #4 may be repeated until no more dirty water is removed or until the area to be cleaned meets your satisfaction.
- Check the collection tank and empty the tank if it is full (See To empty the collection tank).
- If the Spot Lifter PowerBrush stops spraying, turn off the unit and check the cleaning solution level in the solution tank. Refill if needed. Never run the unit without water or cleaning solution.
- Check manufacturer’s tag before cleaning. “W” or “WS” on the tag means you can use your Spot Lifter PowerBrush. If tag is coded ith an “S” (with diagonal strike-through) or states “Dry Clean Only”, do not proceed.
- If manufacturer’s tag is missing or not coded, check with your furniture dealer.
- If possible, check upholstery stuffing. Colored stuffing may bleed through fabric when wet.
- You may also spray water and formula, with the manual trigger spray, while the unit is turned on and you are using the dual PowerBrushes then suction to clean.
- When cleaning a vertical surface (ie: chair back, auto interior, etc.) begin with a completely empty collection tank.
Maintenance and care
- Turn the power switch to the “OFF” position. ( O )
- Unplug the unit.
- Carry the Spot Lifter PowerBrush to the sink or drain.
To empty the collection tank
- Begin by removing the solution tank. Gently press the quick release tabs on the solution tank and slide the tank off of the unit.
- Grasp the collection tank and pull to remove.
- While at the sink, remove the tank cap by unscrewing and lifting out.
- Empty the tank. Rinse the collection tank with warm water.
- Replace cap by turning to the right, until snug.
- Slide the collection tank into the unit. Replace the solution tank.
Note: If a significant amount of water and formula remains in the solution tank, you may leave it in the solution tank for your next cleaning task.
To clean the dual powerbrush
NOTE: Make sure the Power Switch is in the “OFF” ( O ) position and the unit is unplugged.
- Firmly grasp the brush cartridge from the side of the unit and pull out from the unit.
- To remove any debris that may have collected around the dual PowerBrushes, rinse the brush cartridge under warm water.
- Replace the brush cartridge into the unit by gently guiding the cartridge in the unit. Once it is in place, firmly “snap” the brush cartridge in place.
NOTE: Do not attempt to remove or insert the brush cartridge while the unit is running. This will damage your unit.
Store in a dry area, at room temperature to avoid freezing.
To replace the powerbrush belt
If the belt should break, to replace:
- Remove the screw in the belt cover using a Phillips Screwdriver.
- Remove the broken belt. Replace the new belt over the 2 belt gears.
- Replace the belt cover door.
Tip: If you do not have the Brush Cartridge in all the way, the Dual PowerBrushes will not rotate. Firmly push the cartridge in place, while listening for the “snap” to assure proper placement.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire, electric shock or injury, unplug from outlet before servicing.
Cleaner won’t run
|Power cord not plugged in||Check electrical plug|
|Blown fuse/tripped breaker||Check/replace fuse or reset breaker.|
|C.I.D. needs to be reset||Reset C.I.D.|
|Spray nozzle clogged||Clean spray nozzle|
|Solution tank empty||Check/refill tank|
|Tank not inserted properly||Make sure tank is inserted properly|
Deep cleaner won’t pick up cleaning solution
|Collection tank is full||Empty collection tank|
|Collection tank drain plug is loose||Check plug for snug fit|
Dual PowerBrushes are not rotating
|1. Removable cartridge not inserted||1. Make sure to firmly “snap” the properly/all the way brush cartridge in place|
|2. Broken belt||2. Replace belt|
Water coming out of vents
|Tank is past full line||Empty tank|
|Unit may be tipped upright causing dirty||Empty collection tank water to leak from collection tank|
Other maintenance or service not included in the manual should be performed by an authorized service representative.
Thank you for selecting a BISSELL product.
If you should happen to need assistance during assembly or operation, call 1-800-237-7691.
Please do not return this product to the store.
For any questions or concerns, BISSELL is happy to be of service.
Contact us directly at 1-800-237-7691.
BISSELL Consumer Services
For information about repairs or replacement parts, or questions about your warranty, call: BISSELL Consumer Services 1-800-237-7691
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. — 10 p.m. ET
Saturday 9 a.m. — 8 p.m. ET
Or write: BISSELL HOMECARE, INC PO Box 3606 Grand Rapids MI 49501
ATTN: Consumer Services
Or visit the BISSELL website – www.bissell.com or www.2Xbissell.com
When contacting BISSELL, have model number of cleaner available.
Please record your Model Number: ___________________
Please record your Purchase Date: ___________________
NOTE: Please keep your original sales receipt. It provides proof of date of purchase in the event of a warranty claim. See Warranty for details.
Item Part No. Part Name
1 203-2557 Solution tank w/cap
2 203-2552 Collection/solution tank cap
3 203-2554 Collection tank w/cap
4 203-2514 Brush cartridge
5 203-2517 Belt Cover
6 203-2537 Belt
7 79B9 2X Little Green® Formula 32 oz.
8 79B9-1 2X Little Green® Formula 16 oz.
9 74R7 2X Pet Stain & Odor Formula 32 oz.
10 74R7-1 2X Pet Stain & Odor Formula 16 oz.
Please register your new BISSELL product at www.bissell.com/productregistration
Earn Rewards Points!
To qualify you for discounts, rebates, and other BISSELL perks.
Visit www.bissell.com/rewards to learn more.
Warranty – BISSELL Spot Lifter® PowerBrush
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which may vary from state to state. If you need additional instruction regarding this warranty or have questions regarding what it may cover, please contact BISSELL Consumer Services by E-mail, telephone, or regular mail as described below. Keep your original sales receipt it is your proof of warranty.
Limited One Year Warranty
Subject to the *EXCEPTIONS AND EXCLUSIONS identified below, upon receipt of the product BISSELL Homecare, Inc. will repair or replace (with new or remanufactured components or products), at BISSELL’s option, free of charge from the date of purchase by the original purchaser, for one year any defective or malfunctioning part.
See information below on “If your BISSELL product should require service”.
This warranty applies to product used for personal, and not commercial or rental service. This warranty does not apply to fans or routine maintenance components such as filters, belts, or brushes. Damage or malfunction caused by negligence, abuse, neglect, unauthorized repair, or any other use not in accordance with the User’s Guide is not covered.
If your BISSELL product should require service
Contact BISSELL Consumer Services to locate a BISSELL Authorized Service Center in your area. If you need information about repairs or replacement parts, or if you have questions about your warranty, contact BISSELL Consumer Services.
Website or E-mail: www.bissell.com Use the “Customer Service” tab.
Or visit: www.2Xbissell.com
Or call: BISSELL Consumer Services 1-800-237-7691
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET
Saturday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET
Or Write: BISSELL Homecare, Inc. PO Box 3606 Grand Rapids MI 49501
ATTN: Consumer Services
BISSELL HOMECARE, INC. IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT. BISSELL’S LIABILITY WILL NOT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
*EXCEPTIONS AND EXCLUSIONS FROM THE TERMS OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ANY OTHER WARRANTIES EITHER ORAL OR WRITTEN. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHICH MAY ARISE BY OPERATION OF LAW, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO THE ONE YEAR DURATION FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.