The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe is a heavy-duty, bagless upright vacuum cleaner that will help you maintain your home for years to come. With its powerful suction and long cord, it's easy to clean up any mess in minutes. With this manual, you'll be able to tackle dirt and grime in all the nooks and crannies of your home with ease.
Sections in this Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Carton Contents
- How To Assemble
- How To Use
- Automatic Shut Off
- Washing Carpet
- After Use
- Cleaning Hard Floors
IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ASSEMBLY AND USE.
Questions or concerns? For assistance, please call Customer Service at
1-800-944-9200 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm EST before returning this product to the store.
THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
IF USED COMMERCIALLY WARRANTY IS VOID.
© 2015 Techtronic Floor Care Technology Limited. All rights reserved.
Distributed by Royal Appliance Mfg. Co. Glenwillow, Oh 44139 #961151057 ID105762-R4
Thank you for choosing a HOOVER® product.
If you need assistance:
Visit our website at hoover.com for more information or for video instruction fot this carpet washer.
Follow the authorized dealer locator link to find the Hoover® authorized dealer nearest you or call 1-800-
944-9200 for an automated referral of Hoover® authorized dealer locations (U.S. only) or to speak with
a customer service representative; Mon- Fri 8am- 7pm EST.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO THE STORE.
Important Safety Instructions
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
When using an electrical appliance, basic precautions should always be followed, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS APPLIANCE.
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK OR INJURY:
- Fully assemble before operating.
- Operate cleaner only at voltage specified on data plate on lower handle of cleaner.
- Do not leave appliance when plugged in. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning or servicing.
- Use indoors only.
- Do not immerse. Use only on carpet moistened by cleaning process.
- Use only HOOVER® cleaning products intended for use with this machine. (See the “Cleaning Products” section of this manual.)
- Do not allow to be used as a toy. Not intended for use by children age 12 and under.
Close supervision is necessary when used near children. To avoid injury or damage, keep children away from product, and do not allow children to place fingers or other objects into any openings.
- Use only as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments and products.
- Do not use with damaged cord or plug. If appliance is not working as it should, has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors, or dropped into water, take it to a service center prior to continuing use.
- Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close a door on cord, or pull cord around sharp edges or corners. Do not place product on cord. Do not run appliance over cord. Keep cord away from heated surfaces.
- Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug, grasp the plug, not the cord.
- Do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
- Do not put any object into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep free of dust, lint, hair, and anything that may reduce air flow.
- Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
- Turn off all controls before unplugging.
- Use extra care when cleaning on stairs. To avoid personal injury or damage, and to prevent the cleaner from falling, always place cleaner at bottom of stairs or on floor.
Do not place cleaner on stairs or furniture, as it may result in injury or damage.
- Do not use to pick up flammable or combustible materials, such as gasoline, or fine wood sandings, or use in areas where they may be present.
- Connect to a properly grounded outlet only. See Grounding Instructions.
- Unplug before connecting SpinScrub® Hand Tool.
- Do not pick up anything that is burning or smoking, such as cigarettes, matches, or hot ashes.
- Do not use without Tanks or Filters in place.
- Do not clean over floor electrical outlets.
- WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm. WASH HANDS AFTER HANDLING.
CAUTION – TO REDUCE THE RISK OF DAMAGE:
- Avoid picking up hard, sharp objects with this product, as they may cause damage.
- Store appropriately indoors in a dry place. Do not expose machine to freezing temperatures.
- Do not use sharp objects to clean out hose as they can cause damage.
- To assist in reducing drying time, be certain the area is well ventilated when using detergents and other cleaners with this machine.
- To help prevent matting and resoiling, avoid contact with carpets until they are dry. Keep children and pets away from carpets until they are completely dry.
- Do not store extractor with solution in tanks.
- With brushes on, do not allow cleaner to sit in one location for an extended period of time, as damage to the floor can result.
- Do not use this extractor and accessories on hard floors. Using this machine on hard floors without proper attachment may scratch or damage your floor.
- Water will drip from the brushes and underside of the product after use and may puddle. To avoid damage to wood and laminate flooring and to avoid potential slip hazard, after use (a) do not leave the product on wood and laminate surfaces and remove to a hard surface and (b) place unit on absorbent material (such as a towel) to soak up drips.
This appliance must be grounded. If it should malfunction or breakdown, grounding provides a path of least resistance for electric current to reduce the risk of electric shock. This appliance is equipped with a cord having an equipment-grounding conductor (C) and grounding plug (A). The plug must be inserted into an appropriate outlet (B) that is properly installed and grounded in accordance with all local codes and ordinances.
Improper connection of the equipment-grounding conductor can result in the risk of electric shock. Check with a qualified electrician or service person if you are in doubt as to whether the outlet is properly grounded. Do not modify the plug provided with the appliance – if it will not fit the outlet, have a proper outlet installed by a qualified electrician. This appliance is for use on a nominal 120-volt circuit and has a grounding plug that looks like the plug (A) illustrated in Fig. 1. A temporary adapter (D) may be used to connect this plug to a 2-pole receptacle (E) if a properly grounded outlet is not available (Fig. 2). The emporary adapter should be used only until a properly grounded outlet (B) can be installed by a qualified electrician (Fig. 1). The green colored rigid ear, lug, or the like (F) extending from the adapter must be connected to a permanent ground (G) such as a properly grounded outlet box cover (Fig. 2). Whenever the adapter is used, it must be held in place by a metal screw.
NOTE: In Canada, the use of a temporary adapter is not permitted by the Canadian Electrical Code.
REMOVE ALL PARTS FROM CARTON AND IDENTIFY EACH ITEM SHOWN. MAKE SURE ALL PARTS ARE LOCATED BEFORE DISPOSING OF PACKING MATERIALS.
*Available on select models only. Accessories not included with your model may be purchased separately by visiting hoover.com.
A. Carpet Washer
B. Water/Solution Tank
C. Upper Handle
D. Handle Screws
E. SpinScrub® Brush Assembly
(Pre-assembled in unit)
F. SpinScrub® Hand Tool*
G. Mesh Tool Storage Bag*
Tools Included in Mesh Bag
H. Accessory Hose
I. Stair Tool*
J. Upholstery Tool
K. Crevice Tool*
L. Squeegee Tool*
How To Assemble
NOTE: PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER NEEDED FOR ASSEMBLY.
1. Position upper handle and slide down into carpet washer base (Fig. 2)
2. Insert both screws and tighten with screwdriver (Fig. 3).
Place Solution/ Water Tank
3. Position bottom of tank onto Carpet Washer (Fig. 4).
4. Push tank handle while supporting back of cleaner with other hand until Solution Tank clicks into place (Fig. 5).
5. Check to make sure tank is securely latched.
6. Place tools and hose into Mesh Tool Storage bag provided.
7. Mesh Tool Storage Bag should not be hung on the Carpet Washer while the Carpet Washer is in use.
8. Mesh Tool Storage Bag can be conveniently stored either on the back of the unit or hung elsewhere by the provided hook (Fig. 6).
9. Wrap cord around cord hooks for convenient storage. Attach the plug end to cord.
Prior to use, consult with Carpet Manufacturer on cleaning recommendations for natural fiber carpeting (including silk and wool), soft carpeting, and loop Berber carpeting. Do not use on rugs or carpet when dry cleaning is recommended.
LIST OF FEATURES
- Solution Trigger: Press to release cleaning solution
- ON/OFF Pedal
- Wash/Rinse Selector
- Clean Water/Solution Tank
- Dirty Water Tank
- Dirty Water Tank Latch
- Solution Tube Connection Port
- Accessory Hose Connection Port
- Cord Storage Hook
- Cord Storage Hook (Does not rotate)
- Handle Release Pedal
- Cord Clip
How To Use
CAUTION ! Do not use this carpet washer and accessories on hard floors. Using this machine on hard floors may scratch or damage your floor.
ON-OFF PEDAL (Fig. 13, A)
- To turn cleaner ON, step on pedal.
- To turn cleaner OFF, step on pedal again
HANDLE RELEASE PEDAL (Fig 13, B)
- Grasp handle.
- Step on Handle Release Pedal to release lower handle to operating position.
- Do not release the grip on the handle
- To move your cleaner from room to room, put the handle in the upright and locked position.
- Tilt cleaner back on wheels and push forward (Fig. 14).
The carpet washer may also be lifted by any of several carry handles as shown. Be sure tanks are properly latched in place before attempting to lift (Fig 15).
A. Upper Handle
B. Solution Tank Handle
C. Dirty Water Tank Handle
D. Solution Tank Shelf
CLEAN WATER/SOLUTION TANK
The Clean Water / Solution Tank (Fig. 16) is divided into two sections. The Clean Water Tank (E) is for water only and the Solution Tank (F) is for cleaning solutions only.
NOTE: Tanks are labeled above tank caps.
How to Fill
- Turn off and unplug cleaner from the electrical outlet.
- To remove tank, press down on Solution Tank Latch and pull forward. (Fig. 17).
- Fill Clean Water Tank (Fig. 18) with hot tap water. The use of hot water as opposed to cold, significantly improves cleaning performance.
- Fill Solution Tank (Fig. 19) with Hoover® Clean Plus 2X Solution or any other Hoover solution (see “Cleaning Solutions” page 19 for details). Replace container caps and tighten.
- Place Solution/Water Tank back on to the unit using the method described on page 6
CAUTION ! Detergents contain Anionic and Nonionic Surfactants. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. In case of contact with eyes, flush with cold water for 15 minutes. In case of contact with skin, wash with water. If irritation persists, call a physician.
CAUTION ! Use only HOOVER® cleaning products intended for use with this machine. (See the “Cleaning Solutions” section in this manual for details) They are specially formulated for use with your cleaner. Non-Hoover cleaning solutions may harm the machine and void the warranty.
DIRTY WATER TANK
The Dirty Water Tank holds the dirty water that is picked up from the surface being cleaned. When the Dirty Water Tank is full, the automatic shut-off will engage, suction will stop and the tank must be emptied (see Automatic Shut-Off section).
How To Empty
1. Turn cleaner off and unplug from electrical outlet.
2. Release Dirty Water Tank Latch (Fig. 20).
3. Grab the Dirty Water Tank Handle and remove from carpet washer (Fig. 21).
4. Unplug the Quick Spout Pour Cap (A), rotate it away from drain hole and empty the Tank (Fig. 22).
5. Place Recovery Tank back on to cleaner making sure to do so with the retaining features (B, Fig. 23) pointing down to ensure proper sealing.
6. Latch the Recovery Tank back in to place.
IMPORTANT For full suction, it is important that the Dirty Water Tank is properly secured before cleaning.
How To Clean
- Empty Dirty Water Tank.
- Place on flat surface and unlatch Dirty Water Tank lid latch located below the Quick Spout Pour Cap (Fig. 24).
- Pivot and lift off Dirty Water Tank Lid (Fig. 25).
- Remove lint from the filter screen located on the bottom of the Dirty Water Tank Lid (C, Fig. 25).
- Rinse debris from Dirty Water Tank Lid and Dirty Water Tank bottom (Fig. 26).
- Insert tabs on Dirty Water Tank lid and reattach lid to Dirty Water Tank bottom (D, Fig. 27a).
- Reattach Recovery Tank Lid Latch.
Automatic Shut Off
When the Dirty Water Tank is full the yellow float disk will rise and shut off the carpet washer’s suction. The carpet washer will no longer pick up dirty water and the motor sound will become noticeably higher in pitch.
When this happens, turn carpet washer off and empty Dirty Water Tank before continuing use. Check Clean Water/Solution Tank also; it may need to be refilled.
Do not use without float and float retainer in place. If broken or dislodged, take to an Authorized Dealer for repair.
How To Clean
BEFORE YOU BEGIN CLEANING
- Vacuum thoroughly – For carpet, use a HOOVER® vacuum cleaner with an agitator for best results. Vacuum upholstery with a vacuum cleaner with cleaning tool attachments. Use a crevice tool to reach into tufts and folds. Do not use the carpet cleaner as a dry vacuum cleaner.
- For upholstery, check cleaning code – Use your HOOVER® carpet washer only if the upholstery fabric is marked with a “W” (for “wet” clean) or “S/W” (for “solvent/dry” or “wet” clean). Do not clean fabric marked “S” (“solvent/dry” clean only). If your upholstery does not have a code, seek professional assistance.
- Test for colorfastness – Wet a white absorbent cloth with the solution. In a small, hidden area, gently rub the surface with the dampened cloth. Wait ten minutes and check for color removal or bleed with a white paper towel or cloth. If the surface has more than one color, check all colors.
- When cleaning entire floor, move furniture out of area to be cleaned (may not be necessary if only high traffic areas are to be cleaned). For furniture too heavy to move, place aluminum foil or wax paper under legs. This will prevent wood finishes from staining carpet. Pin up furniture skirts and draperies.
- Pretreat spots and heavy traffic areas with appropriate Hoover Cleaning Solutions, see“Cleaning Solutions” section. Follow Directions onbottle.
*Available at additional cost if not included with your model.
- To prevent staining, use plastic or aluminum foil to protect wood or metal surfaces from possible water spray.
- To avoid wetting and possible damage to wood floors underneath area rugs/carpet, either move area rugs/ carpet to a non-wood hard floor surface or place waterproof material (e.g. plastic) underneath them before cleaning.
Some Berber, Natural Fiber, and Soft Fiber carpets can fuzz with wear. Some vacuums & carpet cleaners can worsen this carpet wear. Test a hidden area before using on a full room & consult with your carpet manufacturer on cleaning recommendations.
Read “Before You Begin Cleaning” instructions.
- Fill Clean Water Tank according to instructions.
- Fill solution tank with Hoover® solution according to instructions.
- Dry hands and plug the cord into a properly grounded outlet.
CAUTION ! Do not clean over-floor electrical outlets.
NOTE: To avoid walking on damp carpet, start at the end of the room farthest from the door or path to sink where tanks will be emptied and filled.
4. Step on handle release pedal and lower handle to operating position.
5. Set Wash/Rinse Selector to Wash (Fig. 28) Turn cleaner ON.
6. Squeeze trigger to apply cleaning solution and slowly push cleaner forward (equals one wet stroke) (Fig. 29).
7. Continue to squeeze trigger and slowly pull cleaner back toward you (second wet stroke).
8. Release trigger and slowly push cleaner forward over area just sprayed with solution (dry stroke). Then slowly pull cleaner back toward you without squeezing trigger (dry stroke). Continue using dry strokes until little water is visible passing through the Dirty Water Tank lid (Pass over the same area a minimum of 4 times = 2 while squeezing the trigger and 2 without).
NOTE: For best results, use straight, parallel strokes. Overlap strokes by 1 inch to help prevent streaking.
9. If cleaning on Berber, Natural Fiber, or Soft Fiber carpeting, first test a small hidden area of carpet by running the carpet washer over it. If no fuzzing or overwetting occurs, continue cleaning. Avoid overwetting Berber carpets. If you have any questions or concerns, consult with your carpet manufacturer on deep cleaning recommendations.
10. Keep nozzle flat on floor for both forward and reverse strokes.
For best cleaning results and to aid in faster drying of carpet, end with more dry strokes. (Continue using dry strokes until little water is visible passing through the Dirty Water Tank lid.) Empty Dirty Water Tank when the motor sound becomes higher pitched and there is a loss in suction (see “Automatic shut-off”).
When finished cleaning, follow “After Cleaning” instructions on page 12
11. For best cleaning results, Hoover recommends to rinse the carpet with water only. This will remove residual carpet cleaning solution from your carpets. To Rinse with water only, set Wash/Rinse Selector to rinse (Fig. 30) and repeat steps 7 and 8.
12. For heavily soiled areas, repeat cleaning process. Avoid saturating carpet.
NOTE: It is best to alternate wet and dry strokes as described above.
IMPORTANT: To avoid saturating carpet, do not use more than 4 wet strokes over one area. Always end with dry strokes.
Allow carpet or upholstery to dry. To help prevent matting and resoiling the carpet, keep children and pets away from surface until it is completely dry. If it is necessary to walk on damp carpet, place towels or white cloths on the traffic areas.
If furniture must be replaced before the carpet is dry, place plastic or aluminum foil under legs of furniture so metal slides or wood finishes will not stain the carpet.
- See “Dirty Water Tank: How to Empty” page 9.
- See “Dirty Water Tank: How to Clean” page 9. NOTE: Let Dirty Water Tank and Dirty Water Tank Lid air dry before Carpet Washer is stored.
- See “Cleaning Nozzle” page 16.
- See “Cleaning Brushes” page 16.
- Remove lint from the filter screen located behind nozzle.
IMPORTANT: When brushes seem to be rotating slowly, disconnect cleaner from electical outlet and check and clean the screen behind the nozzle (see arrow below).
CAUTION ! Water will drip from the brushes and underside of the product after use and may puddle. To avoid damage to wood and laminate flooring and to avoid potential slip hazard, after use (a) do not leave the product on wood and laminate surfaces and remove to a hard surface and (b) place unit on absorbent material (such as a towel) to soak up drips.
Cleaning Hard Floors
How to Attach Squeegee for Hard Floor Cleaning (Available on select models only)
CAUTION ! To reduce the risk of injury from moving parts, unplug cleaner. Water will drip from the brushes and underside of the product after use and may puddle. To avoid damage to wood and laminate flooring and to avoid potential slip hazard, after use (a) do not leave the product on wood and laminate surfaces and remove to a hard surface and (b) place unit on absorbent material (such as towel) to soak up drips.
To prevent possible leaking, remove clean water tank (Fig.17) and Dirty Water Tank (Fig. 20, 21). Set tanks aside (do not set tank on furniture).
With the handle in an upright position, tilt cleaner back so that handle rests on the floor.
Position the squeegee, larger lip facing up, on bottom of nozzle until it snaps securely into place (Fig. 32). Make sure the outside edges are pushed up tight against the nozzle. remove the squeegee to return to cleaning carpets. Read “Before you begin cleaning” instructions on page 10.
CAUTION ! Do not use the carpet cleaner on unsealed hardwood floors. To prevent damage to wood floors follow the flooring manufacturer’s cleaning recommendations. If using cleaner on sealed wood floors, inspect floor surface for worn finish, bare wood or separated floors if any of these conditions exist.
How To Clean Hard Floors
- Fill clean water tank according to instructions for Fig. 18.
- Fill detergent container with Hoover Hard Floor Cleaner according to instructions for Fig. 19.
- Dry hands and plug cleaner into a properly grounded outlet.
- Step on handle release pedal and lower handle to operating postion.
- Set Wash/Rinse Setting switch to WASH.
- To release solution, press trigger. Slowly move cleaner forward and backward over area to be cleaned. Water and detergent will be released on the forward stroke.
- To pick up dirty solution, release trigger and slowly move cleaner over area where solution has just been dispensed. Use both forward and reverse strokes.
- If rinsing the floor is desired, set Wash/Rinse Setting switch to RINSE. Repeat steps 7 & 8.This setting provides a water-only rinse in both the forward and reverse strokes. Rinsing is not necessary, but will help remove detergent residue from the floor.
- Empty recovery tank when the motor sound becomes higher pitched and there is a loss of suction ( see “Automatic shut-off, Pg. 9).
- When finished cleaning, follow “After Use” instructions on page 11. Unplug the cleaner from the electrical outlet and remove the squeegee from nozzle. Rinse it in clear water.