SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS – FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed. Do not use the PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Pro™ until you have read this manual thoroughly.
Visit TristarCares.com for tutorial videos, product details, and more. Guarantee Information Inside
PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Pro
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Pro™ will provide you many years of delicious family meals and memories around the dinner table. But before you begin, it’s very important that you read this entire manual, making certain that you are totally familiar with this appliance’s operation and precautions.
When using electrical appliances, always follow these basic safety precautions.
- NEVER IMMERSE the Main Unit Housing, which contains electrical components and heating elements, in water. Do not rinse under the tap.
- TO AVOID ELECTRICAL SHOCK, do not put liquid of any kind into the Main Unit Housing containing the electrical components.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
- MAKE SURE the appliance is plugged into a dedicated wall socket. Always make sure that the plug is inserted into the wall socket properly and without any other appliances on the same outlet.
- To prevent food contact with the interior upper screen and heat element, DO NOT OVERFILL the accessories.
- DO NOT COVER the Air Intake Vent or Air Outlet Vent while the appliance is operating. Doing so will prevent even cooking and may damage the appliance or cause it to overheat.
- While cooking, the internal temperature of the appliance reaches several hundred degrees Fahrenheit. TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY, never place hands inside the appliance unless it is thoroughly cooled.
- This appliance is NOT INTENDED FOR USE by persons with reduced physical, sensory, or mental capabilities or a lack of experience and knowledge unless they are UNDER THE SUPERVISION of a responsible person or have been given proper instruction in using the appliance. This appliance is NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY CHILDREN.
- When cooking, DO NOT PLACE the appliance against a wall or against other appliances. Leave at least 5 inches of free space on the back and sides and above the appliance. Do not place anything on top of the appliance.
- DO NOT USE this appliance if the plug, the power cord, or the appliance itself is damaged in any way.
- DO NOT PLACE your appliance on a cooktop, even if the cooktop is cool, because you could accidentally turn the cooktop on and damage the appliance, your cooktop and your home.
- If the power cord is damaged, YOU MUST HAVE IT REPLACED by Tristar, its service agent, or a similarly qualified person in order to avoid hazard.
- Keep the appliance and its power cord OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN when it is in operation or in the cooling process.
- KEEP THE POWER CORD AWAY from hot surfaces. DO NOT PLUG in the power cord or operate the appliance controls with wet hands.
- NEVER CONNECT this appliance to an external timer switch or separate remote-control system.
- NEVER USE this appliance with an extension cord of any kind.
- A short power-supply cord (or detachable powersupply cord) is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
- DO NOT OPERATE the appliance on or near combustible materials, such as tablecloths and curtains.
- DO NOT USE the appliance for any purpose other than described in this manual.
- NEVER OPERATE the appliance unattended.
- When in operation, air is released through the Air Outlet Vent. KEEP YOUR HANDS AND FACE at a safe distance from the Air Outlet Vent. Also avoid the air while removing accessories from the appliance. The appliance’s outer surfaces may become hot during use. The ACCESSORIES WILL BE HOT. WEAR OVEN MITTS or use the Fetch Tool when handling hot components. Wear oven mitts when handling hot surfaces.
- Should the appliance emit black smoke, UNPLUG IMMEDIATELY and wait for smoking to stop before removing oven contents.
- When the cooking cycle ends, cooking will stop but the fan WILL CONTINUE RUNNING for 20 secs. to cool down the appliance.
- ALWAYS OPERATE the appliance on a horizontal surface that is level, stable, and noncombustible.
- This appliance is intended for normal household use only. It is NOT INTENDED for use in commercial or retail environments.
- Before using your appliance on any countertop surface or other fragile surface, such as a glass tabletop, CHECK WITH your manufacturer or installer for recommendations about using appliances on your surfaces. Some manufacturers and installers may recommend protecting your surface by placing a hot pad or trivet under the appliance for heat protection. Your manufacturer or installer may recommend that hot pans, pots, or electrical appliances should not be used directly on top of the countertop. If you are unsure, place a trivet or to pad under the appliance before using it.
- DO NOT place your appliance on a hot cooktop because it could cause a fire or damage the appliance, your cooktop, and your home.
- ALWAYS UNPLUG the appliance after use.
- Let the appliance cool down for approximately 30 mins. before handling, cleaning, or storing.
For California Residents
This product can expose you to Bisphenol A, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS — FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
- Always operate the appliance on a horizontal surface that is level, stable, and noncombustible.
- This appliance is intended for normal household use only. It is not intended for use in commercial or retail environments.
- If the appliance is used improperly or for professional or semi-professional purposes or if it is not used according to the instructions in the user manual, the guarantee becomes invalid and the manufacturer and Tristar will not be held liable for damages.
- Always unplug the appliance after use.
- When the cooking time has completed, cooking will stop and the fan will continue running for 20 secs. Let the appliance cool down for approximately 30 minutes before handling, cleaning, or storing.
- The appliance is equipped with an internal microswitch that automatically shuts down the fan and heating element when the door is open.
Overheating Protection: Should the inner temperature control system fail, the overheating protection system will be activated and the appliance will not function. Should this happen, unplug the appliance. Allow time for the appliance to cool completely before restarting or storing.
Automatic Shut-Off: The appliance has a builtin shut-off device that will automatically shut off the appliance when the cooking time has completed. You can manually switch off the appliance by pressing the Power Button. The fan will continue running for 20 secs. to cool down the appliance.
Electric Power: If the electrical outlet is being used by other appliances, your new appliance may not operate properly. The appliance should be operated on a dedicated electrical outlet
Electromagnetic Fields: This appliance complies with all standards regarding electromagnetic fields. If handled properly and according to the instructions in this user manual, the appliance is safe to use based on scientific evidence available today.
NOTE: Unpack all contents from the packaging. Contents vary by model. Check all packaging material carefully for parts. Please remove any clear or blue protective film on the components. *Optional items may be sold separately.
1. Main Unit
2. Control Panel
3. Air Intake Vents
4. Hot Air Outlet Vents
5. Drip Tray
6. Air Flow Racks (4)
7.* Rotating Basket
8. Rotisserie Shaft, Forks & Set Screws
9.* Adjustable Skewers Rack (2)
10.* Skewers (10)
11. Rotisserie Fetch Tool
12.* Rotisserie Stand
13. Muffin Pan
IMPORTANT: Please make sure that your appliance has been shipped with the components that you ordered (some accessories may be sold separately). Check everything carefully before use. If any part is missing or damaged, do not use this product. Contact Customer Service using the number located in the back of the owner’s manual.
5. Drip Tray
Cook with the Drip Tray in place for easy cleanup. Always use the Drip Tray when cooking.
6. Air Flow Racks
Can be used for dehydration and to cook crispy snacks or reheat items like pizza.
7. Rotating Mesh Basket*
Great for fries, roasted nuts, and other snacks. Use the Rotisserie Fetch Tool when inserting or removing the Basket..
8. Rotisserie Shaft, Forks & Set Screws
Use for roasts and whole chicken. Slide the Shaft lengthwise through the center of the meat. Slide the Forks onto the Shaft from each end and then into the meat. Lock in place with the Set Screws. There are indentations on the Shaft for the Set Screws. You can adjust the Screws closer to the center of the Shaft if needed but never beyond the indentation.
NOTE: Ensure that the roast or chicken rotates freely within the appliance. If the item being cooked is too large, it will not rotate or cook evenly (3.5–4 lb on average). Wrap the meat with kitchen string to help with even rotation.
9. Adjustable Skewers Rack*
Used when making kabobs. Skewer Racks fit over Shaft and lock in place with Set Screws.
Great for all your kabob recipes, meat, fish or veggies.
11. Rotisserie Fetch Tool
The Rotisserie Fetch Tool should be used to insert and remove any foods prepared using the Rotisserie Shaft or Skewers. Place under the Rotisserie Shaft and lift (left side first) and then gently extract the food.
12. Rotisserie Stand
Use for placing the Rotisserie Shaft when removing hot food from the Unit.
13. Muffin Pan
Makes eggs, sunny side up, mini frittatas, omelets, pancakes, and more. *May be sold separately
CAUTION: The appliance may get hot. Be careful not to touch the appliance while in use. Keep the appliance away from other objects.
The Forks, Shaft, and other metal parts with this appliance are sharp and will get extremely hot during use. Great care should be taken to avoid personal injury. Wear protective oven mitts or gloves.
Using the Control Panel
1. Power Button: Once the appliance is plugged in, the Control Panel will light up. Pressing the Power Button will set the appliance to a default temperature of 370° F (188° C) and time of 15 minutes. Pressing the Power Button again will start the cooking process. Pressing the Power Button during the cooking cycle will shut off the appliance.
2. Internal Light: Selecting this button will help you check cooking progress while appliance is in operation. Note: Opening the door during the cooking process will pause the appliance. Internal light will illuminate if the door opens.
3. Rotation Button: Select this button when cooking anything using the Rotisserie Mode. The icon will blink while in use.
4. Temperature Control Buttons: These buttons enable you to raise or lower cooking temperature by 5° F (2.7° C) intervals ranging from 150° F (66° C) to 400° F (204° C). Dehydration ranges from 90° F (32° C) to 170° F (77° C).
5. Time Control Buttons: These buttons enable you to select an exact cooking time to the minute, from 1 min. to 60 mins. in all modes except when dehydrating, which uses 30-min. intervals and an operating time of 2–24 hrs.
6. LED Digital Display: The Digital Numeric Display will alternate between displaying the temperature and the remaining time during the cooking process.
7–18. Cooking Presets: Selecting any Preset Button sets the time and temperature to the preset’s default value. The cooking process starts automatically 5 secs. after the Preset has been selected, or the Power Button can be pressed after the Preset Button to start the appliance immediately. You may use the Time and Temperature Buttons to override the preset settings.
Using the Control Panel
Preset Button Cooking Chart
*Cooking time for whole roasted chicken will vary with weight. Use meat thermometer to check internal temperature as per chart below.
Internal TemperatureMeat Chart
Use this chart and a food thermometer to ensure that meat, poultry, seafood, and other cooked foods reach a safe minimum internal temperature.
*For maximum food safety, the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends 165° F (75° C) for all poultry; 160° F (71° C) for ground beef, lamb, and pork; and 145° F (63° C), with a 3-minute resting period, for all other types of beef, lamb, and pork. Also review the USDA Food Safety Standards.
Using the Appliance Without Presets
Once you are familiar with the appliance, you may want to experiment with your own cooking times and temperatures.
Never use a cooking vessel filled with cooking oil or any other liquid with this appliance! Fire hazard or personal injury could result.
Using the Accessories
Placing Air Flow Racks
1. Insert the Drip Tray into the bottom of the appliance (Fig. A).
2. Place Air Flow Racks into the appliance by sliding them through the side grooves and onto the back lip (Fig. B).
3. Place the Air Flow Racks closer to the top heating element for faster cooking and added crisp.
4. Rotate the Air Flow Racks mid-cycle for even cooking.
Placing Muffin Pan
1. Insert the Drip Tray into the bottom of the appliance (Fig. A).
2. Place Muffin Tray into the appliance by sliding them through the side grooves and onto the back lip (Fig. C).
3. Place the Muffin Tray closer to the top heating element for faster cooking and added crisp.
Using The Rotisserie Spit
- With the Forks removed, force the Rotisserie Shaftthrough the center of the food lengthwise.
NOTE: To support the food on the Rotisserie Spitbetter, insert the Rotisserie Forks into the food at different angles (see Fig. D).
- Slide the Forks (A) onto each side of the Spit and secure them in place by tightening the two Set Screws (B).
- Hold the assembled Rotisserie Spit at a slight angle with the right side higher than the left side and insert the left side of the Spit into the Rotisserie connection inside the appliance (see Fig. E).
- With the left side securely in place, lower the rightside of the Spit into the Rotisserie connection on the right side of the appliance (see Fig. F).
- To remove cooked food, insert a large fork into the food, twist left, and raise to remove the Spit from the left slot and then remove the food from appliance with slight lifting motion. Transfer the food to a carving board or serving plate.
Removing Rotisserie Spit
1. Using the Fetch Tool, hook the bottom of the left and right sides of the shaft attached to the Rotisserie Spit (Fig. G).
2. Pull the Rotisserie Spit slightly to the right to disconnect the accessory from the Rotisserie Socket.
3. Carefully pull and remove the Rotisserie Spit from the appliance.
General Operating Instructions
Before Using The Appliance For The First Time
1. Read all material, warning stickers and labels.
2. Remove all packing materials, labels, and stickers.
3. Wash all parts and accessories used in the cooking process with warm, soapy water.
NOTE: Only the accessories are dishwasher safe.
4. Wipe the inside and outside of the cooking appliance with a clean, moist cloth.
NOTE: Never wash or submerge the cooking appliance in water.
NOTE: When using this appliance, never fill any cooking vessel with oil or liquid of any kind. This appliance cooks with hot air only.
Preparing For Use
1. Place the appliance on a stable, level, horizontal, and heat-resistant surface.
2. Before initial use, wipe the inside and outside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent. Rinse with a warm, moist cloth. Hand wash all cooking accessories. Before cooking food, preheat the appliance for a few minutes to allow the appliance to burn off the manufacturer’s protective coating of oil. Wipe the appliance with warm, soapy water and a washcloth after the burn-in cycle.
3. Select the cooking accessory for your recipe.
• NEVER cover the air vents on the top and back of the cooking appliance or place anything on top of the appliance.
• NEVER fill any cooking vessel with oil or liquid of any kind. This appliance cooks with hot air only.
• NEVER use the appliance Door as a place to rest hot food or accessories. The hot food or accessory could damage the appliance Door or cause the appliance to tip. Personal injury could result.
• ALWAYS use oven mitts when removing hot accessories or food. Always place hot food or accessories on a heat-resistant surface.
NEVER place them directly on the countertop.
General Operating Instructions
Cooking With The Appliance
- Put your chosen cooking accessory into the appliance and shut the appliance door. Plug the power cord into a 120V dedicated outlet.
- Place the ingredients on your chosen accessory.
- When the chosen cooking accessory is in place, close the door and press the Power Button once (see #1 on page 8).
- Select a preset function (see #7–16 on page 9) or manually set the Temperature and then the Time (see #4–5 on page 8). Refer to the detailed Control Panel instructions on page 8.
- The appliance will automatically start the cooking cycle a few seconds after a preset function is selected or the Time and/or Temperature are adjusted manually.
Alternatively, you can press the Power Button to begin the cooking cycle immediately once the desired cooking time and temperature have been selected. Add 3 mins. to the cooking time when starting with a cold appliance.
NOTE: You may open the appliance door to view the food at any time during the cooking process to check the progress.
NOTE: Consult the charts in this manual or the recipe books to determine the correct settings for the specific item and weight being cooked.
• Foods that are smaller in size usually require a slightly shorter cooking time than larger ones.
• Flipping or turning foods halfway through the cooking process ensures that all the pieces are evenly fried.
• Misting a bit of vegetable oil on fresh potatoes is suggested for a crispier result. When adding a little oil, do so just before cooking.
• Snacks normally cooked in an oven can also be cooked in the appliance.
• Use the premade dough to prepare filled snacks quickly and easily. Premade dough also requires a shorter cooking time than homemade dough.
• Place fragile or filled foods in a baking tin or oven dish in the appliance. A baking tin or oven dish is also suggested when baking a cake or quiche.
• You can use the appliance to reheat foods. Simply set the temperature and time to however warm you want your food.
The table on page 14 will help you select the correct temperature and time for best results. As you become more familiar with the appliance cooking process, you may adjust these settings to suit your own personal tastes.
NOTE: Keep in mind that these settings are guides. Since ingredients differ in origin, size, shape, and brand, we cannot guarantee the exact settings for your ingredients.
For food you want to flip, set the Timer to half the time needed for the recipe and the Timer bell will alert you when it’s time to flip your food. When you hear the timer bell, the preset preparation time has elapsed. Flip your food and reset the appliance to the remaining time and temperature needed to finish cooking the food.
Remove the power cord from the wall socket and be certain the appliance is thoroughly cooled before cleaning.
Clean the appliance after each use. The cooking accessories are made of durable stainless steel and are dishwasher safe. Never use abrasive cleaning materials or utensils on these surfaces. Parts with caked-on food should be soaked in warm, soapy water for easy removal.
1. Wipe the outside of the appliance with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent.
2. To clean the appliance door, remove it by lifting it to a 45° angle while gently pulling it upward. Clean both sides with warm, soapy water on a damp cloth. Do not soak or submerge the door in water or wash in the dishwasher.
3. Clean the inside of the appliance with hot water, a mild detergent, and a non-abrasive sponge.
4. If necessary, remove unwanted food residue from the upper screen with a soft cleaning brush.
1. Once the fan has stopped running, unplug the appliance and let it cool thoroughly.
2. Make sure all components are clean and dry.
3. Place the appliance in the clean, dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I prepare foods other than fried dishes with my appliance?
You can prepare a variety of dishes, including steaks, chops, burgers, and baked goods. See the appliance Recipe Guide.
- Is the appliance good for making or reheating soups and sauces?
Never cook or reheat liquids in the appliance.
- What do I do if the appliance shuts down while cooking?
As a safety feature, the appliance has an Auto Shut-Off device that prevents damage from overheating. Unplug and allow the appliance to cool down. Plug back in and restart with the Power Button.
- Does the appliance need time to heat up?
Preheating is needed when you are cooking from a cold start, add 3 mins. to the cook time to compensate.
- Is it possible to shut off the appliance at any time?
Press the Power Button once.
- Can I check the food during the cooking process?
You can check on the progress of the cooking cycle at any time. If you open the door, the cooking time and temperature should resume from where they left off when you close the door.
- Is the appliance dishwasher safe?
Only the accessories are dishwasher safe. The appliance itself containing the heating coil and electronics should never be submerged in liquid of any kind or cleaned with anything more than a hot, moist cloth or nonabrasive sponge with a small amount of mild detergent.
- What happens if the appliance still does not work after I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions?
Never attempt a home repair. Contact the retailer and follow the procedures set forth by the guarantee. Failure to do so could render your guarantee null and void.
- Can the door come off?
Yes. Removing the door will allow you to clean the appliance and windows more easily. Open the door slightly (about 1 in./2.5 cm from the closed position), and gently lift up on the door hinge. The joints will slide out. To reattach the door, position the door to be slightly open as before. Then, align the hinge so that the joins fall into the slots. Close the door. Do not clean the door in the dishwasher.
90-Day Money-Back Guarantee
The PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Pro is covered by a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied with your product, return the product and request a replacement product or refund. Proof of purchase is required. Refunds will include the purchase price, less processing and handling. Follow the instructions in the Return Policy below to request a replacement or refund.
Replacement Guarantee Policy
Our products, when purchased from an authorized retailer, include a 1-year replacement guarantee if your product or component part does not perform as expected, the guarantee extends only to the original purchaser and is not transferable. If you experience an issue with one of our products within 1 year of purchase, return the product or the component part for replacement with a functionally equivalent new product or part. The original proof of purchase is required, and you are responsible to pay to return the unit to us. In the event a replacement unit is issued, the guarantee coverage ends six (6) months following the receipt date of the replacement unit or the remainder of the existing guarantee, whichever is later. Tristar reserves the right to replace the unit with one of equal or greater value.
If, for any reason, you would like to replace or return the product under the money-back guarantee, your order number can be used as the return merchandise authorization number (RMA). If the product was purchased in a retail store, return the product to the store or use “RETAIL” as the RMA. Return your product to the address provided below for a replacement, which will incur no additional processing and handling fees, or for the refund of your purchase price, less processing and handling. You are responsible for the cost of returning the product. You can locate your order number at www.customerstatus.com. You can call customer service at 973-287-5129 or email [email protected] for any additional questions. Pack the product carefully and include in the package a note with (1) your name, (2) mailing address, (3) phone number, (4) email address, (5) reason for return, and (6) proof of purchase or order number, and (7) specify on the note whether you are requesting a refund or replacement. Write the RMA on the outside of the package.
Send the product to the following return address:
PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Pro
500 Returns Road
Wallingford, CT 06495
If the replacement or refund request has not been acknowledged after two weeks, please contact Customer Service at 973-287-5129.
Refunds requested within the money-back guarantee timeframe will be issued to the payment method used at purchase if the item was purchased directly from Tristar. If the item was purchased from an authorized retailer, proof of purchase is required, and a check will be issued for the item and sales tax amount. Processing and handling fees are non-refundable.
We are very proud of the design and quality of our
PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer ProTM.
This product has been manufactured to the highest standards. Should you have any questions, our
friendly customer service staff is here to help you.
Visit us at www.TristarCares.com, email us at [email protected],
or call us at 973-287-5129