WHYNTER ECO-FRIENDLY 12,000 BTU PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER
MODEL# : ARC-12SD
Congratulations on your new WHYNTER product. Please read this Instruction Manual carefully before using this product to ensure proper operation. Keep this manual in a safe place for future reference.
Thank you for choosing the Whynter portable air conditioner. Please follow the instructions provided in this user guide to obtain the very best performance from your portable air conditioner and take full advantage of the many features your portable air conditioner offers you. We trust that your Whynter air conditioner will provide the performance and reliability that we stand for.
Please keep this user manual in a safe place for future reference.
This symbol on the product or its packaging indicates that the appliance cannot be treated as normal domestic trash, but must be handed in at a collection point for recycling electric and electronic appliances. Your contribution to the correct disposal of this product protects the environment. Further information about the recycling of this product can be obtained from your local municipal authority.
Your safety and the safety of others are very important to us.
To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock, or injury when using your appliance, follow these basic precautions.
Before the portable air conditioner is used, it must be properly positioned and installed as detailed in this manual.
- Do not under any circumstances cut or remove the third (ground) prong from the power cord.
- Make sure this unit is connected to a correctly grounded power supply outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip.
- The power cord is UL listed. It has a built-in L.C.D.I. (leakage, current, detection, interruption) circuit breaker for added safety. If the power supply is interrupted, press the reset button to reconnect the unit to power source.
- It is recommended to use a separate circuit that its size should be 15 Amps for the air conditioner.
- Do not use an excessively wet cloth, industrial solvents, oil-based products to clean this portable air conditioner.
- To avoid the risk of shock, the product should never be used in bathrooms, shower rooms, or in any other steamy or wet areas.
- Do not store or use gasoline or other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of this or any other appliances.
- Do not repair, disassemble and/or modify the unit by yourself.
- Always turn off the portable air conditioner when cleaning the air filter, and transporting.
- Do not turn this unit on and off by plugging and unplugging. Always use the ON/OFF switch.
- Transport the unit in an upright position only, or leave it in an upright position for a minimum of 4 hours before first use.
- Ensure curtains or other objects are not obstructing the air inlet filters.
- Do not bend or crush the exhaust hose while in use.
- Always allow at least 20” of clearance around the unit for ventilation. Do not use this unit inside closets, cabinets, and/or cramped spaces between furniture.
- This unit is optimized to operate at an ambient temperature of 64°F – 95°F.
- This unit must be installed in an area protected from the elements, such as wind, rain, water spray, or drips.
- The unit should not be placed next to ovens, grills, or other heat sources.
- Always place the unit on an even and hard and level surface.
- Do not sit or place objects on the unit.
- Do not allow children to climb, stand or hang on the unit. The air conditioner could tip over and get damaged and/or seriously injure somebody.
- Keep fingers out of the air intakes and air outlets.
- The unit is an electrical appliance. To avoid injury from electrical shock do not operate it with wet hands while standing on a wet surface or while standing in water. Do not use it outdoors or in wet conditions.
- When positioning or moving the unit, ensure it is not turned upside down or greater than 45° or more off level.
- This unit is designed for household, non-commercial use only. Any other use will void the warranty.
- Do not plug into the power outlet before set up is completed.
- Do not operate this unit without the air filter(s).
- Do not use harsh chemicals to clean the filter(s). Dry thoroughly before inserting the filter(s) into the unit.
- Do not add extra length to the exhaust hose by more than a total length of 9’. This will reduce the cooling efficiency of the portable air conditioner.
- At the end of each season, all water must be drained from the unit and filter(s) must be cleaned before storage.
THE MANUFACTURER DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT FOLLOWED.
Your portable air conditioner is supplied with a Leakage-Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) plug. This plug reduces the risk of fire due to arcing faults in the power supply cord. Please follow the instructions below to ensure that LCDI plug works properly.
- Plug the power cord into a grounded wall outlet. Do not plug to a power strip or extension cord.
- Press the TEST button on the plug. This should trip the plug and cut the power to the air conditioner. If the plug does not trip and the unit comes on, please contact technical support.
- Press the RESET button to start the air conditioner.
- Do NOT use the TEST and RESET buttons to turn the air conditioner on and off.
IDENTIFICATION OF ACCESSORIES
Note: Please visit whynter.com for optional accessories information
IDENTIFICATION OF PARTS
OPERATING YOUR AIR CONDITIONER
Before you begin, thoroughly familiarize yourself with the control panel, remote control and all of the functions. Follow the symbol for the desired function. The unit can be controlled by the unit control panel alone or with the remote control.
The air conditioner should be placed on a hard and level surface strong enough to support its weight.
The unit is equipped with caster wheels for portability. It should only be rolled on smooth, flat surfaces.
Use caution when rolling on carpet surfaces. Do not attempt to roll the unit over objects.
The air inlet and outlet should be free of any obstructions and be placed with at least 20” of clearance for efficient air-conditioning and circulation.
Exhaust hose Installation
When using the air conditioner, the hot air from the exhaust hose must be exhausted out of the room to complete the air exchange of the condenser. The intake hose is optional. When the unit is operating in dehumidifying or fan-only mode, installation of the exhaust hose is optional.
1. Expand each end of the exhaust and intake hoses about 6”.
2. Install the hose connectors onto the exhaust and intake hoses by turning counterclockwise.
3. Align the tab cut-outs of each of the hose connectors to the tabs on the air exhaust and air intake at the rear of the unit and snap in place.
If installing the optional air intake hose in an area with poor air quality, we recommend purchasing the intake hose pre-filter accessory.
Only extend the hose to the necessary length, keeping it as short and as straight as possible.
We do not recommend extending the hose more than 9′ long.
If you are interested in purchasing an additional 5’ exhaust hose, please contact [email protected] for retail sales information or visit whynter.com for a list of optional accessories.
Window kit Installation
The window kit has been designed to fit most standard vertical and horizontal windows. However, it may be necessary to modify the installation procedures to accommodate your window.
- If your window opening is smaller than the minimum length of the window slider kit, the window slider kit can be cut to fit the window opening. Never cut into the exhaust and intake hose cut-outs on the window slider kit.
- If your window opening is larger than the maximum length of the window slider kit, additional material will be needed to cover the open space such as Plexiglas, PVC plastic, plywood, etc. Alternately, an additional window slider kit can be purchased to be used in combination with the included kit.
- When using the window slider kit on a window or sliding door, additional security measures may be needed.
- Open the window at approximately 5”.
- Adjust the length of the window slider to the same length and width of the opening of the window. Cut the window slider if necessary to fit the length of your window.
- Insert the fixture through the back grooved side of the window slider hose cut-out. Line up the fixture with the 4 screw holes and tighten the fixture with 4 screws from the front side of the slider panel. (Fig. 1)
- Fit the window slider kit into the window opening and close the window to secure the window slider kit. For long-term installation, you may screw the window kit into your window frame.
- Move the air conditioner close to the window, extend the hose to the necessary length, keeping it as short and as straight as possible and attach the other end of the hose to the window slider kit.
- Align the tab cut-outs of the hose connector to the tabs on the fixture and snap the hose connector to the window slider kit.
AIR FILTERS INSTALLATION
Your Whynter portable air conditioner is equipped with a washable Pre-Filter and an Activated Carbon Filter. The washable Pre-Filter removes large particles such as dust, pet hair and dander. The Activated Carbon Filter which is designed to remove smoke and other odors. It is recommended you replace the Activated Carbon Filter every 2-3 months or as needed. Follow the steps below to install the filters.
WARNING: NEVER OPERATE THE AIR CONDITIONER WITHOUT THE PRE-FILTER
- Pull the pre-filter grille up and out to remove it from the unit
- Remove the filter frame from the pre-filter
- Place the activated carbon filter on top of the pre-filter
- Reattach the filter frame
- Insert the filter assembly into the unit
- BEFORE USING YOUR PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER
- Remove the exterior and interior packaging.
- Before connecting the unit to the power source, let it stand upright for a minimum of 4 hours.
This will reduce the possibility of a malfunction in the cooling system from handling during transportation.
SWITCHING ON/OFF THE AIR CONDITIONER
- The unit can be switched ON or OFF by pressing the Power button on the control panel or the Power button on the remote control.
- In this mode, the air conditioner cools and dehumidifies the room. To activate the cooling function, press the Mode Control button until the GREEN indicator illuminates. When cooling mode is set, the compressor will start in approximately 3 minutes.
- NOTE: In cooling mode, hot air is exhausted from the outdoor exhaust port and the exhaust hose must be connected to exhaust out the hot air.
- The temperature setting range of this air conditioner is from 61°F to 89°F. To set the temperature, press the + or – buttons. This air conditioner has a 5°F temperature cushion; if the set temperature is within 5°F of the ambient temperature, the unit runs in fan-only mode. This saves energy and prolongs the life of the compressor of the air conditioner. Once the set temperature is achieved, the compressor will turn off and the fan runs continuously to circulate the air within the room.
- To set the fan speed, press the Fan Speed button.
Note: When the compressor is running, the sound difference between each fan speed is not very noticeable.
- In this mode, the air conditioner dehumidifies the room, the compressor will activate intermittently depending on the ambient temperature and the fan speed is set to Low.
- To activate the dehumidifying mode, press the Mode Control button until the PURPLE indicator illuminates. When switching between functions, there will be an approximate 3 minute transition time.
- In dehumidifying mode, the exhaust hose does not need to be vented. If the exhaust hose is vented, the room will be cooled as it dehumidifies. To prevent cooling, remove the exhaust hose from the window kit and allow the warm air from the rear to be re-circulated into the room. If the room temperature is higher than 77°F, the fan speed can be adjusted. If the room temperature is lower than 77°F, the fan speed is set at Low.
- When using the dehumidifying mode, venting the exhaust hose to the outside is not required. If vented, the warm air is exhausted to the outside and cooling within the room may occur. Additionally, if the exhaust hose is not vented, the unit may require more frequent draining.
- The air conditioner does not have a humidistat in which a specific humidity level can be set.
FAN ONLY MODE
- In this mode, only the fan of the air conditioner runs and circulates the air within the room. To activate the fan-only mode, press the Mode Control button until the YELLOW indicator illuminates. In this mode, the temperature cannot be set. Subsequently, set the desired fan speed by pressing the Fan Speed button.
- Note: When using the fan-only mode, venting the exhaust hose to the outside is not required.
TIMER (DELAYED SWITCH ON / OFF) FUNCTION
- This function mode enables a delayed switch ON or delayed switch OFF of the air conditioner. The time (hours) delay can be set, enabled, and disabled. The timer is adjustable between 1-24 hours.
SETTING SWITCH OFF TIMER
With the air conditioner operating in any function mode, press the Timer Control button. Then set the desired time delay OFF hours by pressing the + or – buttons. When the delay time set has elapsed, the air conditioner switches off.
SETTING DELAYED SWITCH ON TIMER
With the air conditioner is off press the Timer Control button. Then set the desired time delay ON hours by pressing the + or – buttons. When the delay time set has elapsed, the air conditioner switches on.
In the event of a power outage, the air conditioner restarts at the previously set function mode and settings when power is restored.
Portable air conditioners may make sounds that are not familiar to you. The sounds listed below are normal. Noise reflecting off hard surfaces such as a floor or wall can make the sounds seem louder than they actually are.
- The compressor may make a pulsating or high-pitched sound.
- Water running from the evaporator to the water tank may make a splashing sound.
- Refrigerant flowing may make a gurgling sound.
- Fan sound may come from front and back air vents.
This portable air conditioner is optimized to operate in an ambient temperature of 64°F – 90°F. The compressor circuit has an automatic 3 minute time delayed start if the unit is turned off and on quickly. This prevents overheating of the compressor and possible circuit breaker tripping.
The air conditioner has the capacity to dehumidify up to 96 pints per day. The patented self evaporating function of the unit fully exhausts all condensation automatically in most environments when humidity is less than 70%. In areas with more than 70% humidity, the self-evaporating function can still exhaust about 98% of the moisture and the remaining 2% of moisture will be collected in the water tank of the air conditioner. When there is excess water condensation inside the unit, the air conditioner stops running and the RED Stoplight illuminates. The Stoplight indicates that the water condensation needs to be drained manually:
- Turn off the unit.
- Carefully roll the unit to a drain location or position a flat container, dish or optional drain bucket accessory (sold separately) under the drain area of the lower drain port.
- Remove the drain cover and rubber plug and the condensed water will drain out automatically.
- Once all the condensed water is drained, replace the drain rubber plug and cover into the drain firmly.
Continuous Gravity Drainage Option:
This option is recommended if the uninterrupted operation is desired.
1. Remove the drain plug cover and rubber plug from the upper drain port.
2. Install the drain hose (sold separately) through the drain cover.
3. Thread the drain cover onto the upper drain port.
4. Place the open end of the drain hose down to an area appropriate for draining.
WARNING: The hose must be directed downward from the upper drain port to allow the condensed water to flow with gravity.
Note: Please contact [email protected] for retail sales information or visit whynter.com for a list of optional accessories
The portable air conditioner can be switched on by the remote control.
- Other appliances in the same room controlled by remote control (TV, radio, stereo, etc.), may cause interferences.
- Electronic and fluorescent lamps may interfere with the signal transmissions between the remote control and the air conditioner.
- Remove the batteries if the remote control is not used for long periods.
- Only use two AAA 1.5V Batteries in the remote control.
- Always change both batteries at the same time.
To insert the batteries, open the flap on the back of the remote control by sliding it off. Strictly adhere to the polarity signs on the bottom of the battery housing, close the flap once the batteries have been inserted.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- Switch off the air conditioner and disconnect the plug from the power outlet
- Drain al collected condensation from the upper and lower drain ports.
- Only transport the air conditioner in an upright position.
CLEANING THE PRE-FILTER
- This unit has two air filters; a washable pre-filter and an activated carbon filter.
- To ensure the air intake is filtered properly and to assure that your air conditioner runs efficiently, it is
recommended that the pre-filter is washed at least once every two weeks depending on use.
- Switch off the air conditioner.
- Pull the pre-filter frame from the unit.
- Remove the activated carbon filter from the pre-filter.
- Use a vacuum cleaner or tap lightly to remove loose dust and dirt from the pre-filter.
- Rinse the pre-filter thoroughly under warm running water (no hotter than 100F.)
- Dry thoroughly before re-inserting the filters.
- NOTE: The activated carbon filter is not washable. It is an optional filter and should be replaced every 2-3 months or as needed if used.
- Please contact [email protected] for retail sales information or visit whynter.com for a list of optional accessories.
WARNING! Never operate the air conditioner without the pre-filter in place
CLEARING THE AIR CONDITIONER
- Always switch off the air conditioner and disconnect the plug from the power supply outlet before cleaning the air conditioner.
- Use a soft damp cloth to wipe the body of the unit.
- Never use harsh chemicals, oil-based products, detergents, chemically treated cloths or other cleaning solutions. These could possibly damage the body of the air conditioner.
END OF SEASON STORAGE
This portable air conditioner comes with one end-of-season storage cover. We highly recommend that a storage cover bag is utilized when the unit is not going to be used for a period of time.
WARNING: To avoid the danger of suffocation, keep this bag away from babies and children.
- Switch off the air conditioner and disconnect the power plug from the power supply outlet before cleaning the air conditioner.
- Clean the pre-filter.
- Drain the condensed water completely.
- On a warm day, set the unit to Fan only mode for half a day to dry the unit internally.
- Gather the power cord and bundle it.
- Remove the batteries from the remote.
- If leaving the window kit in place, disconnect the exhaust and intake hose from the window slider kit and place the included covers on the fixtures. Otherwise, remove the window kit from the window opening. To remove the hose connectors from the fixtures on the window kit, slightly turn, push and gently pull the connector to release.
- Place the storage cover over the air conditioner.
Note: Depending on use, it is recommended that the air conditioner be cleaned internally annually.
Please contact Whynter at sup[email protected] for internal maintenance cleaning instructions.
- Keep the exhaust hose as short and straight as possible
The exhaust hose removes heat from the room. It should remain as short and straight as possible without sharp bends or twists to maximize efficiency. If the exhaust hose must be extended, do not exceed 9’.
- Turn the air conditioner on early
Turning the air conditioner on early instead of waiting until the hottest point of the day will allow the unit to be more effective. The air conditioner will not have to work as hard to cool the room down and maintain the set temperature.
- Reduce heat sources
Direct sunlight, televisions, computers and other heat generating appliances work against the air conditioner by introducing heat into the space.
• Close window curtains and blinds to keep direct sunlight out
• Close doors and windows
• Keep ovens and stoves off
• Turn off unused lights
• Add weather stripping around windows and doors
- Keep the air filter clean
Regular cleaning will help keep your air conditioner working properly. Dusty filters and vents greatly reduce the airflow and efficiency of the unit.
• Clean the washable pre-filter regularly
• Replace the activated carbon filter every 2-3 weeks depending on use
• Vacuum any accumulated dust from around all vents
ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY and THREE YEAR WARRANTY ON COMPRESSOR
This WHYNTER product is warranted to the original owner, purchased from an authorized Whynter dealer within the 48 U.S. continental states, for one year from the original purchase date against defects in material and workmanship under normal residential usage. Should your WHYNTER product prove defective within one year from the date of purchase, contact Whynter’s Customer Support team with the serial number and proof of purchase to make a warranty claim. A Return Authorization number must be issued before returning any parts or products. Parts or products received without a Whynter issued Return Authorization number will be refused. Under this warranty, Whynter will repair or replace any parts found defective with new or remanufactured parts or exchange the defective product with a new, refurbished, or remanufactured product at our discretion. All defective products and parts covered by this warranty will be repaired or replaced on a mail-in basis to Whynter’s Service Center. This warranty is not transferable. After the expiration of the warranty, the cost of labor and parts will be the responsibility of the original owner.
The compressor of portable air conditioners is warranted for an additional two years after the one-year limited warranty expires from the date of purchase.
Return freight is prepaid by Whynter within two months of purchase. After two months to one year, the customer will be responsible for the return freight cost to Whynter’s Service Center. Please package the product carefully in its original packaging to avoid damage in transit. Whynter is not responsible for damage resulting from shipper mishandling or improper packaging. Please retain the original box and packaging materials.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
- Acts of God, such as fire, flood, hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes.
- An improper power supply such as power surge, low voltage, defective household wiring, or inadequate fuses.
- Use in commercial or industrial applications.
- Damage, accidental or otherwise, to the product while in the possession of a consumer not caused by a defect in material or workmanship.
- Damage caused by consumer misuse, tampering, lack of maintenance, or failure to follow the care and special handling provisions in the instructions.
- Damage to the finish of the case, or other appearance parts caused by wear.
- Damage caused by repairs or alterations to the product by anyone other than authorized by the manufacturer.
- Removal, Replacement Packaging, Freight, and Insurance cost for the warranty service.
- Products sold AS IS or from an unauthorized reseller.
- Products that have had their serial numbers removed or defaced.
DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES; LIMITATION OF REMEDIES
CUSTOMER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE PRODUCT REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED HEREIN. CLAIMS BASED ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO ONE YEAR OR THE SHORTEST PERIOD ALLOWED BY LAW, BUT NOT LESS THAN ONE YEAR. WHYNTER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SUCH AS PROPERTY DAMAGE AND INCIDENTAL EXPENSES RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF THIS WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY. SOME STATES AND PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR LIMITATIONS ON THE DURATION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
The warranty, product contents, and specifications are subject to change at any time without notice; please refer to www.whynter.com for the most current information.
Please retain the original proof of purchase.
To register your warranty, please visit www.whynter.com and fill out the online
Warranty Registration form. Please be sure to include a copy of your purchase invoice.
To obtain service or information, contact Whynter LLC via email at
[email protected] or call 866-WHYNTER (866-949-6837).
Copyright © 2020 Whynter LLC