In this manual for the Bissell 1700/1701 Series Powerforce Helix vacuum cleaner you can lear all about setup and operation. Topics such as cleaning out the vacuum cleaner and using its hose are all shown using in-depth diagrams.
Sections in this Manual
- What’s in the Box?
- Product View
- Maintenance & Care
- Parts & Supplies
- Emptying the Dirt Container
- Cleaning the Pre-Motor Filter
- Cleaning the Post-Motor Filter (1701 Only)
- Cleaning the Separator
- Replace the Brush & Belt
- Clearing a Clog
Bissell 1700 and 1701 Series Powerforce Helix Vacuum
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING YOUR UPRIGHT VACUUM.
Always connect to a polarized outlet (one slot is wider than the other). Unplug from outlet when not in use and before conducting maintenance. When using an electrical appliance, basic precautions should be observed, including the following:
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, OR INJURY:
- Do not leave vacuum cleaner when it is plugged in. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before servicing.
- Do not use outdoors or on wet surfaces.
- Do not allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
- Do not use for any purpose other than described in this User’s Guide. Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
- Do not use with damaged cord or plug. If appliance is not working as it should, has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors, or dropped into water, have it repaired at an authorized service center.
- Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close a door on cord, or pull cord around sharp edges or corners. Do not run appliance over cord. Keep cord away from heated surfaces.
- Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug, grasp the plug, not the cord.
- Do not handle plug or vacuum cleaner with wet hands.
- Do not put any object into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep openings free of dust, lint, hair, and anything that may reduce air flow.
- Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
- Turn off all controls before plugging or unplugging vacuum cleaner.
- Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.
- Do not use to pick up flammable or combustible materials (lighter fluid, gasoline, kerosene, etc.) or use in areas where they may be present.
- Do not use vacuum cleaner in an enclosed space filled with vapors given off by oil base paint, paint thinner, some moth proofing substances, flammable dust, or other explosive or toxic vapors.
- Do not use to pick up toxic material (chlorine bleach, ammonia, drain cleaner, etc.).
- Do not pick up anything that is burning or smoking, such as cigarettes, matches, or hot ashes.
- Do not use without filters in place.
- Do not pick up hard or sharp objects such as glass, nails, screws, coins, etc.
- Use only on dry, indoor surfaces.
- Keep appliance on a level surface.
- Do not carry the vacuum cleaner while it is running.
- Unplug before connecting or disconnecting the TurboBrush® Tool.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This model is for household use only
- Plastic film can be dangerous. To avoid danger of suffocation, keep away from children.
- Do not plug in your vacuum cleaner UNTIL you are familiar with all instructions and operating procedures.
- To reduce the risk of electrical shock, turn power switch off and disconnect polarized plug from electrical outlet BEFORE performing maintenance or troubleshooting checks.
THIS APPLIANCE HAS A POLARIZED PLUG
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). This plug will fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install a proper outlet. Do not change the plug in any way.
What’s in the Box?
NOTE: Standard accessories may vary by model. To identify what should be included with your purchase, please refer to the “Carton Contents” list located on the carton top flap.
- Upper Handle
- TurboBrush® Tool (1701 Series Only)
- Tank Release Button
- Carry Handle
- Washable Pre-Motor Filter
- Dirt Container
- Dirt Container Empty Button
- Washable Post-Motor Filter (1701 Series Only)
- Dusting Brush
- Cord Hook
- Hose Clip
- Upper Quick Wrap Release™ Cord Wrap
- Crevice Tool
- Power Cord
- Extension Wand
- Lower Cord Wrap
- Hose Wand
- Power Switch Pedal
- Handle Recline Pedal
- Foot Hose
- Product Rating Label & Serial Number
(Model 1701 Shown)